• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 montana222 OFFLINE  

montana222

• Member No: 4024
  • 0 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted June 15, 2011 - 03:58 AM

If I'm readin this right in here it looks like Onan twins are used in Case tractors? I was wondering what the output shaft looks like on the motor end. I have two twin Onan generators that are good motors and no real use for the generators. Too heavy to be portable. Im wondering if the hydro pump will hookup? Without changing out the crankshaft?

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 15, 2011 - 04:51 AM

The hydro pump hooks up with a lovejoy coupler and a bracket to mount it to the motor. As long as the engines have some sort of crank sticking out you should be alright there. On the pto side that shaft is a bolt on and you can pick that up used off ebay or someone on a site like here.

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,584 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted June 15, 2011 - 06:49 AM

The Onan generator cranks will be tapered. Would require modifying a Lovejoy coupler, and not sure if it could work then due to the bolt required to hold it to the taper. No room for a crank adapter/extension either.

#4 Billygoat OFFLINE  

Billygoat

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2454
  • 76 Thanks
  • 206 posts

Posted June 15, 2011 - 07:36 AM

If you're lookin' to put an Onan into your 222, be ready! It can (and has) been done but, the Cases with Onans have the frame notched for clearance. You would be a lot better off to stick to the Kohler. You will not gain much, if anything, as far as hydraulic power. The only advantage to more hp on these is for mowing and snow blowing. That 222 is more than capable to do both. There is a lot of work involved in that repower along with changing pump mounts etc. It will also hurt resale value if you decide to sell it. It also costs 3 times as much to rebuild an Onan as a Kohler.

#5 montana222 OFFLINE  

montana222

• 0 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted June 15, 2011 - 11:11 AM

The crank is what im guessing is going to be the hold back, it would have to be removed from the motor and machined to straight shaft is my guess? As far as a rebuild cost. I have two complete motors and both are prime condition. Tied to generators that I cant use and just sitting around in my way. I happen to know where there is another one setting I could pick up for a good $$$. And I accuired a big box of Onana inventory parts a few years back, rebuild is no prob. The kohler on the other hand I have to spend big $$$$ to replace the points and head gasket, or any thing else that goes wrong through the years to come. Plus I luv the sound of those big twins with the right exhaust.

Edited by montana222, June 15, 2011 - 11:19 AM.

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,584 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted June 15, 2011 - 11:19 AM

Unless you're very handy with mechanical stuff, I too would stay away from the repower to Onan. Likely the crank taper is too small to be machined down, as most aren't that large at the tip, plus have a hole in their center, leaving not enough metal to leave a substantial straight shaft. An Onan in a 222 would be VERY tight.
Machining the crank would cost far more than points & head gasket for the Kohler, in fact, you could end up with less money in a complete Kohler rebuild than in the repower.
I've done quite a few repowers, & it is usually very involved, money & time wise.

#7 Billygoat OFFLINE  

Billygoat

Tractorholic

• 76 Thanks
  • 206 posts

Posted June 15, 2011 - 01:39 PM

Has cost me less than $200 to rebuild my Kohler K321, 14hp. $45 to have crank turned, $35 to have bored and valves ground (done by a friend, hence good price), $92 for engine kit with piston, rings, rod, and gaskets/seals. Add $40 to that if crank bearings are needed. I had a set already, so I didn't have to buy any. The repower will most likely cost more than that. Not to mention essentially ruining the tractor for resale purposes. Most people are very leery about repowered tractors. That said, it's your tractor, you have to do what's right for you.

#8 montana222 OFFLINE  

montana222

• 0 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted June 15, 2011 - 01:41 PM

I was not looking to repower my 222. the kohler is fine in it anyways< I was looking to get my hands on a Case that was already powered by Onan. And was wondering what output shaft I would be dealing with? It apperantly is a 1" straight shaft with keyway cut for luvjoy coupler? And I was wondering if anybody could conferm the Onan came in some Case tractor? What model?

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,584 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted June 15, 2011 - 01:47 PM

446 & 448 came with Onan power. The crank on your genset engines might have enough meat for machining. Popping one of the armatures off one of them would tell the tale.

#10 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted June 15, 2011 - 01:55 PM

226, 446, 448, 646, 648, 3016, 4016, 4018, 4020, 6018
  • montana222 said thank you

#11 Billygoat OFFLINE  

Billygoat

Tractorholic

• 76 Thanks
  • 206 posts

Posted June 15, 2011 - 06:17 PM

Sorry about that. I thought you were gonna repower your 222. If you get a Case that already has an Onan, maybe the crankshaft can be salvaged and used in one of the genset engines. I am not well versed about Onans, so I'm not sure what fits what and am too lazy to look at the manuals to figure it out.LOL I'm not able to spend the money needed to rebuild Onans, so I just don't bother with them.

#12 montana222 OFFLINE  

montana222

• 0 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted June 16, 2011 - 03:38 AM

I think the Onan generator crank will be a prob. If I could find a tractor with a tired Onan it sounds like the ticket would be salvage the crank and insert into one of my onans. It would run for the rest of my days that I'm sure. Just to find one from the list above. Now that I know what to keep my eyes open for.