#1 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 1,550 Thanks
  • 1,254 posts

Posted May 09, 2017 - 03:48 PM

About this season.

We planted the onions and potatoes, and now its starting to frost outside. We've been covering them with a light tarp, more like one of those plastic bags for meat and other produce at the WalMart. We are supposed to be planting soon, but im not sure if i want to. If its going to be frosting days before we plant, then i think i will hold off for a week. Hows your guy's planting going? Sounds like Chieffans is going well!

Edited by 637Yeoman, May 09, 2017 - 03:55 PM.

• chieffan said thank you

#2 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 697 posts

Posted May 09, 2017 - 05:50 PM

It has been too wet here to get any tilling done, but should be able to go by the weekend. It has been warm enough here to get the crops in that can stand some frost (potatoes, peas, carrots). Typically up here we can put out started plants on the May 24th long weekend, but like you I will be waiting at least an extra week to do that. I will be planting seeds for crops that can't handle frost then though. The frost won't hurt them if they haven't sprouted yet.

Jim

• oldedeeres, propane1 and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#3 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 6,291 Thanks
  • 5,988 posts

Posted May 09, 2017 - 06:12 PM

Potatoes, Sweetcorn, sweet peas, carrots and some other things are in as of today. Hoping for a good growing season this year.

• John Arsenault and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#4 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 8,214 Thanks
  • 3,960 posts

Posted May 09, 2017 - 06:28 PM

26 rows of potatoes in for over a week now. Plus carrots and buckwheat planted. They, carrots and buckwheat, are both coming thru after 10 days of planting. Frost won't hurt potatoes. Potatoes won't be thru ground for a while yet. Buckwheat and carrots could be a problem if frost happens. They say, who ever they are, that the last possible day of frost, in my area, is June 10.

Noel
  • CanadianHobbyFarmer, John Arsenault and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#5 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,983 Thanks
  • 2,122 posts

Posted May 09, 2017 - 06:31 PM

Having those same feelings here in NY.
  • 637Yeoman said thank you

#6 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 8,724 Thanks
  • 4,484 posts

Posted May 09, 2017 - 08:12 PM

Me too, and we have had frost in every month except July!

#7 Reed Breneman ONLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • Member No: 72922
  • 1,391 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted May 09, 2017 - 09:22 PM

tilled and put in tomatoes and brockley ,all the fruit trees blossoms made it thru the frosts and have all set fruit so fingures crossed,85 degrees here today

#8 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 697 posts

Posted May 10, 2017 - 03:52 PM

26 rows of potatoes in for over a week now. Plus carrots and buckwheat planted. They, carrots and buckwheat, are both coming thru after 10 days of planting. Frost won't hurt potatoes. Potatoes won't be thru ground for a while yet. Buckwheat and carrots could be a problem if frost happens. They say, who ever they are, that the last possible day of frost, in my area, is June 10.

Noel

Frost actually won't harm carrots either Noel. Turnip, radish and quite a few others can take a bit of frost and even some snow. I had peas up about 3 or 4"  in mid April one year and they got buried in wet snow for a couple of days. It was one of the best pea crops I have ever had.

Jim

• Alc, propane1 and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#9 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 9,141 Thanks
  • 6,240 posts

Posted May 10, 2017 - 06:42 PM

We tried beans again this year.  Have good black sandy soil but peas and beans are just so so.  3 miles away they can have a bumper crop.  Not holding my nose right I guess.  Ended up with 1.72" of rain the last 24 hours.  Picked up a couple bags of mulch today to put around the tomato plants.  No potatoes as no place to store them and end up feeding them to the goats.  To much work for that.  Propane1, 26 rows of potatoes ? ?   How long are the rows??  I like potatoes but 26 rows ? ? /

#10 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 12,634 Thanks
  • 9,446 posts

Posted May 11, 2017 - 09:29 AM

They say, who ever they are, that the last possible day of frost, in my area, is June 10.

Noel

That frost date is based on the average from the past. It should be obvious to everyone by now that things are changing. Plants like tomatoes may not die from the cool, but they are just going to sit there until things get better anyway. Plants like peppers and cukes  definitely like warmth.

#11 dtsh OFFLINE  

dtsh
  • Member No: 82586
  • 234 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted May 11, 2017 - 11:03 AM

That frost date is based on the average from the past. It should be obvious to everyone by now that things are changing. Plants like tomatoes may not die from the cool, but they are just going to sit there until things get better anyway. Plants like peppers and cukes  definitely like warmth.

Last year I planted my tomatoes one day before the last frost date, all looked good and c'mon, like the weather was going to suddenly change in just one day.....

I lost nearly the whole lot to an unexpected frost. If you plant early, have some row covers handy!