6 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,383 Thanks
  • 5,801 posts

Posted May 09, 2017 - 03:39 PM

Weather has been very favorable so time to hit the garden.  Put the self powered tiller on the Bolens G16XT for better ground speed control.  Worked out real good till I tried to raise it to high and busted the eye off the cast pulley on the winch cable.  Replaced the pulley and finished up.

Carolyn picked up a few veggies yesterday but not the best looking plants and around $1.50 each.  Road this morning to the Amish greenhouse about 1.5 hours SE.  Picked up 4 early cabbage, 4 regular cabbage, 4 large red tomato, a small red and a small yellow tomato,  4 broccoli and 4 cauliflower.  All nice big plants some were over a foot tall most were 8-10".  The whole flat full was $8.20.  Would have cost 3 times that much locally and not near as nice a plants.  They have 3 buildings about 30'wide and 100' long full of flowers and vegetable plants.   Family operation and all 5 kids have their job to do.  They use the hoop type structures with roll up sides and clear heavy plastic covering.    Have them all in and watered.  Wanted to get pictures but will have to wait till morning as we have a work night and meeting to get going to.

• grnspot110, KennyP, chris m and 6 others have said thanks

#2 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,604 Thanks
  • 5,518 posts

Posted May 10, 2017 - 06:46 AM

Glad you can get one in.

I usually have mine plowed/disc'd/tilled by now, but with so much rain, I can't get it dry enough to get in it. It will be a late one this year if we get one in at all.

• chieffan and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#3 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 1,479 Thanks
  • 809 posts

Posted May 10, 2017 - 07:02 AM

Snow removal forum....what that? Its gardening time!!

Wish I had my bigger tiller working for my sears, but its not so I will be running my Toro Jr. or it will be running me. I have an indoor grow area in my garage and have tomato plants 2 foot already. My wife has a few trays of other stuff as well. But I am seriously dreading getting out there with my hand held tiller. 

I did however get all my snow equipment packed away so I won't be looking at that stuff again till next year.

• chieffan said thank you

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 8,383 Thanks
  • 5,801 posts

Posted May 10, 2017 - 09:25 AM

Had thunderstorm go through this morning about 5am.  Little sun breaking through so took the dog for his morning walk and went down to the garden a and grabbed these shots.  First is the tomato and couple bell pepper plants.  Second is the cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower.  Third is the lettuce and radish first planting and two rows of onions.

SAM_0256.JPG   SAM_0257.JPG   SAM_0258.JPG

• grnspot110, KennyP, John Arsenault and 2 others have said thanks

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 8,383 Thanks
  • 5,801 posts

Posted May 10, 2017 - 11:36 AM

Glad you can get one in.

I usually have mine plowed/disc'd/tilled by now, but with so much rain, I can't get it dry enough to get in it. It will be a late one this year if we get one in at all.

I plow mine in the fall. In the spring I wait till the weeds come on and are small, then do a burn down with round-up.  Disc it all and then till an area when we are ready to plant.  Getting soaked now for sure.  .61 at 5 this morning and rained hard a bit ago and still at it.  1.41" now.  No dirt work for a few days.

• grnspot110, KennyP, TAHOE and 1 other said thanks

#6 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,849 Thanks
  • 2,546 posts

Posted May 10, 2017 - 06:38 PM

I tilled up part of my back garden this morning & planted more green beans, yellow beans & some okra.  2/3" of rain this afternoon started about 3 o'clock!

#7 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 1,099 Thanks
  • 1,408 posts

Posted May 10, 2017 - 06:47 PM

Finally dry enough today, planted a few rows of potatoes......Some seeds should go in this weekend....Bedding plants not until June 1st around here.