2 replies to this topic

#1 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3766
  • 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted June 15, 2011 - 12:43 AM

im parting out a 582 down the street. the tractor is already missing allot of parts and the briggs opposed twin is blown. anyways, i have an entire steering assembly on that tractor that i could have access to for a good price. the question is what would fit my 124? could i use the ross gear, front axle, and spindles? i have been told that if i install a wide frame front end in a narrow frame tractor, it is an easy mod that will make it turn tighter. i have ran both wide frame and narrow frame tractors, and i know first hand that the wide frames turn much better in both directions. im also thinking the ross gear from the 582 might be a little beefier than my 124's setup. i just want to built a deluxe narrow frame tractor and i have these parts available to me for cheap. will any of it work?

#2 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted June 15, 2011 - 11:05 PM

I'm not 100% sure on the steering box. I think they should be the same with the difference being the length of the column that stick out of the box itself. I believe one is shorter than the other but cannot remember which at the moment. The front axle will fit under your tractor with no problem as long as you also use the spindles from the wide frame. I dont know though if they will connect to the current steering box or not. I haven't messed to much with the newer tractors so I'm not sure. You might wanna check Cub cadet collectors dot com and check thru the archives on the topic. Hopefully someone else rolls along as thats the best advice I can give.

#3 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,415 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted June 16, 2011 - 07:23 AM

Might be something over at onlycubcadets dot com also. I fool around over there at times, just seeing what is going on with Cubs.