Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 4,257 posts

Posted May 08, 2017 - 05:21 PM

Finished mowing the back yard, and decided to change the oil while it was hot. Everything going fine except instead of the end cap coming off, the whole oil drain came out. There was no stopping the Exxon Valdez flood, at least it was on the ramp. And to add insult to injury, I lowered RED and pushed him off the ramp. I  got in a hurry to rinse the oil off before too much staining and went to move RED and cranked him up, It took 10 seconds for my brain to register I had not added oil yet and shut him down. Well, new oil and he still sounds fine. I hope I dodged a bullet this time.  

Attached Thumbnails

• P1190338.jpg
  • P1190339.jpg
  • P1190340.jpg

• MH81, hamman, KennyP and 7 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,895 Thanks
  • 44,624 posts

Posted May 08, 2017 - 05:37 PM

Don't tighten the cap so hard next time!

• larrybl, hamman and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#3 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 4,257 posts

Posted May 08, 2017 - 05:42 PM

Never happened before, no way to hold the pipe with a pipe wrench. I'll be adding a 90* angle to the end of the pipe next oil change. Problem solved!

• MH81, hamman and ericjr16 have said thanks

#4 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 4,888 Thanks
  • 2,152 posts

Posted May 08, 2017 - 05:58 PM

I left the dip stick out on a Cub Cadet and it was like Old Faithful (in Texas) when I started it, HA! These things happen, especially if we're in a rush. I remember when a guy thought he could move Kawasaki 115 loader about 30 feet after dumping the oil and changing the filters. He just had to start it quick and back it up to reach the oil fill hose. Well I don't think it went 10 feet. It was one of these.

Attached Thumbnails

• 287179-1.jpg

• larrybl, MH81, Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#5 ericjr16 OFFLINE  

ericjr16
  • Member No: 54135
  • 1,049 Thanks
  • 574 posts

Posted May 08, 2017 - 05:58 PM

Been there done that! Glad you remembered oil, um I didn't! It seized on me. Thank God it was old flat head. After some oil in cylinder and prayers, it's still running!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • larrybl and propane1 have said thanks

#6 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,895 Thanks
  • 44,624 posts

Posted May 08, 2017 - 06:11 PM

At least it's still running! Better than I can say about the management here!

• wilberj, larrybl, MH81 and 2 others have said thanks

#7 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 5,248 Thanks
  • 4,626 posts

Posted May 08, 2017 - 06:13 PM

I have seen advertisements for "Slick 50" and you can drain the Slick 50 and run the engine without oil!

Yeah, right!

• larrybl said thank you

#8 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 4,257 posts

Posted May 08, 2017 - 06:25 PM

In my younger days I had a bright idea of draining the oil on a push mower engine I had mounted in the garage to tinker with. I filled the crankcase with liquid soap, and figured if I run the engine, It will make the teardown not as messy. Can't remember if it damaged the engine (it ran afterwards) but I do remember a frothy ball of foam engulfing the engine and making a bigger mess than I anticipated.

• KennyP, Cvans and classic have said thanks

#9 Xrperry ONLINE  

Xrperry
  • Member No: 73285
  • 962 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted May 08, 2017 - 08:02 PM

Long ago I changed the oil in one of my rigs,forgot to put drain plug back in,5 quarts of oil on the floor lol.crap happens

#10 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,340 Thanks
  • 2,988 posts

Posted May 08, 2017 - 08:16 PM

Nothing worse than dumping about 7 quarts of water laden gear oil out of a big drain pan all over your shed floor. Man that stuff makes a heck of a sticky smelly mess especially inside a small 10x10 shed like mine..I should spill more on the floor Keeps the critters out of the shed for a good while.Darn chipmunks been in the shed chewing stuff again.

• larrybl said thank you

#11 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 4,257 posts

Posted May 08, 2017 - 08:17 PM

This is the plan for the next oil change. Won't prevent the oops on the drain plug, but will prevent spinning the pipe out of the block.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1190341.jpg

• karel and ericjr16 have said thanks

#12 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 4,081 Thanks
  • 2,369 posts

Posted May 08, 2017 - 08:39 PM

not to point out the obvious but why didn't you just put the pipe back in or STOP when you saw they both were turning.  kid a work a few years back turned a barrel of oil on its side then took the plug out, then fiddle around trying to put the bung back in while oil ran all over everywhere!!!  worst part is was on one of those flip carts so I walked by and just stood it back up with one hand!!!!  Kid stood there staring in amazement, it happens to everyone.

Pete

• larrybl and karel have said thanks

#13 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,340 Thanks
  • 2,988 posts

Posted May 08, 2017 - 09:08 PM

I put a valve on one of my old tractors with a hunk of clear hose zip tied on the nipple.Forget what engine I snagged it off of but it was like this valve.It was pretty slick.

s-l1600.jpg

Oh I remember where I got it. It was on a blown up Kawasaki in a 1980s JD 165 Lawn Tractor.

• larrybl said thank you

#14 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 4,257 posts

Posted May 08, 2017 - 09:09 PM

not to point out the obvious but why didn't you just put the pipe back in or STOP when you saw they both were turning.  kid a work a few years back turned a barrel of oil on its side then took the plug out, then fiddle around trying to put the bung back in while oil ran all over everywhere!!!  worst part is was on one of those flip carts so I walked by and just stood it back up with one hand!!!!  Kid stood there staring in amazement, it happens to everyone.

Pete

Well I decided to change the oil right after mowing 1.5 acres. I did not know the pipe was turning, I thought the cap was. The catch pan and funnel was positioned under the end of the pipe. When the tube came out it was too hot to handle, and the pan / funnel wouldn't fit under the frame where the oil was spewing from. Due to the HOT nature of the oil it only took 3 seconds to drain. 

• petrj6, ericjr16 and propane1 have said thanks

#15 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,962 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted May 08, 2017 - 10:02 PM

Took 3 seconds, felt like 3hours of slo mo.
Been there, have the oily palm print on my forehead
  • Cvans, ericjr16 and John Arsenault have said thanks