wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted June 15, 2011 - 11:02 AM

I was excited to hear about the Snow Blower because it's the first one I have located (doesn't mean i want it cluttering my shop though lol). It is great shape and glad someone has it that will appreciate the machinery, and put it to work as intended. I get barely enough snow to plow, let alone snowblow lol.

#17 onecrazyant OFFLINE  

onecrazyant

• Member No: 3943
  • 1 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted June 15, 2011 - 11:20 AM

I like the snow and the kids like to make mickey snowmen , so a SB will help with the pile of snow plus my kids school bus comes right to the front door so i have to keep the drive clean.

#18 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted June 15, 2011 - 11:28 AM

Great deal on that Jared. It's always good to get special treatment, ain't that right George? lol

#19 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted June 15, 2011 - 01:50 PM

Oh, the tractor is a Model 63TME-6 as figured out by Jared (onecrazyant) and I last night.

Technically, there was no 63TME-6. ....If it had a 6hp B&S engine it would have been just a 63TM or 63TME. (A minor point, I know!)

However, since this has a Kohler engine, it should be a 62TE-7, 62TME-7, 63TE-7, or 63TME-7. ....The original engine would have been a Kohler KV-161-S w/spec #3436-B. ....The Kohler vertical was only used in 1962 and 1963.

How did you determine it is a 1963 model?

#20 onecrazyant OFFLINE  

onecrazyant

• 1 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted June 15, 2011 - 02:32 PM

it was a guesstimate due to no tags, shape and front axle is how we came up with it.

and its so nice to hear i have one more horse than before :bounce:

i can try to get a pic of the motor tag if that would help but its really worn.

if any of you know what type of fluid do i need for the peerless trans.

Edited by onecrazyant, June 15, 2011 - 03:27 PM.

#21 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted June 15, 2011 - 04:59 PM

Well Bruce, there was not a lot of guesswork in this. The transaxle makes it at least 63, as well as sheet metal, the front axle/chassis is not stretched, so it is not a 64. The bad part is with the Kohler I forgot that was an extra HP (I only have one Kohler vertical, the rest of the verticals are Briggs). However, the Only Kohler vertical I have.... is on a 64, as I have the tag and it says 64. There is not a lot of guesswork in what I do with Springfields, but I do make errors sometimes. I think 90% of tractors is open to interpretation based on how companys operate, they phase out parts, they don't just stop using them until they are gone. Its those quirks that cause confusion, therefore 90% of the time one gets the information correct.

Jared, I use 80w-90 in the transaxles of all my GTs.

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, June 15, 2011 - 05:05 PM.

#22 onecrazyant OFFLINE  

onecrazyant

• 1 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted June 15, 2011 - 07:22 PM

is it trans fluid, hydraulic fluid or anything special not just the weight and viscosity.

#23 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted June 15, 2011 - 09:05 PM

is it trans fluid, hydraulic fluid or anything special not just the weight and viscosity.

If you walk into YouTube local TSC, they will have 80-90w Gear Lube. Don't buy the small bottles, they are expensive that way. I usually buy the 2 or 2.5 gal jugs.

#24 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted June 15, 2011 - 09:08 PM

If you walk into YouTube local TSC, they will have 80-90w Gear Lube. Don't buy the small bottles, they are expensive that way. I usually buy the 2 or 2.5 gal jugs.

As Alan stated I buy just a gallon jug at Tractor Supply of 80w-90 Gear Oil, should be Traveller brand, I can go out to the shop and confirm, still have part of said jug left lol.

#25 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted June 16, 2011 - 12:13 AM

Well Bruce, there was not a lot of guesswork in this. The transaxle makes it at least 63, as well as sheet metal, the front axle/chassis is not stretched, so it is not a 64.

OK, I'll bite. ........What is the difference between the 1962 and 1963 transaxles?

#26 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted June 16, 2011 - 12:36 AM

OK, I'll bite. ........What is the difference between the 1962 and 1963 transaxles?

On the 1961 Springfield I parted out it had a band brake on each hub of the tractor, (1961 and 62 were the same) and on the 1963 up they have a single band brake that goes thru the gearing of the transaxle.

#27 onecrazyant OFFLINE  

onecrazyant

• 1 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted June 16, 2011 - 07:12 AM

thanks guys for the info.. update on the SB is the piston is frozen and i have mmo in the cylinder chamber and in the crank case..... ill give it a few day to see whats up.... ill keep you posted.

#28 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted June 16, 2011 - 11:10 AM

thanks guys for the info.. update on the SB is the piston is frozen and i have mmo in the cylinder chamber and in the crank case..... ill give it a few day to see whats up.... ill keep you posted.

Nice Jared, I wouldn't have high hopes, I have had 2 engines soaking with diesel fuel for a few weeks now. You may end up rebuilding that engine on the SB. What I would recommend would be to go buy a 6.5 hp horizontal shaft engine at Harbor Freight to use on the SB. It will cost between 100 and 200 dollars, been made in China, and mostly aluminum, but it is a good price for it. It is essentially a Honda clone and blue, but it wouldn't be the worst thing to swap the engine out for a new one, just as long as you keep the old engine, and keep working on it.

#29 onecrazyant OFFLINE  

onecrazyant

• 1 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted June 16, 2011 - 06:32 PM

ok snow blower turns over starter works but not getting spark i may need a new coil how would i find out what coil with out knowing the engine manufacturer ... grrrrrrr

#30 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted June 16, 2011 - 06:38 PM

That's great Jared, Post up some close up shots of the engine, I am sure we will be able to identify it.