• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 1,653 Thanks
  • 885 posts

Posted May 08, 2017 - 03:46 PM

My wife has a birthday coming up and wants an electric fence to keep deer out of her garden.  All I know about electric fence is you don't want to grab it.  The garden is 17'x17' with my shed wall forming one side, so 51' of fencing.  There will be 2' of poultry wire to keep rabbits out.

So I have some questions from those of you in the know:

1)  Is she nuts?

2)  How many Joules do I need?

3)  It appears that the fence wire itself is completely insulated from ground with one lead from the charger clamped onto the wire and the other lead attached to a ground rod.  Do I have that right?

Thanks!

• toppop52 said thank you

#2 dtsh OFFLINE  

dtsh
  • Member No: 82586
  • 217 Thanks
  • 140 posts

Posted May 08, 2017 - 04:53 PM

For a fence that small, almost any fence charger will work.

As for your understanding of the circuit, yes, the fence wire connects via one lead to the charger and another lead goes from the ground on the fencer to ground rods. Dry soil does not conduct as well as moist, but given the size being fenced that likely doesn't apply here.

• MiCarl said thank you

#3 Little Irish Men ONLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • Member No: 61934
  • 780 Thanks
  • 451 posts

Posted May 08, 2017 - 05:06 PM

What i know about electric fence's Dont  DO NOT  Pee  on them . Yes it was my first day on the farm . still not funny .

Patrick.

• KennyP and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 34,239 Thanks
  • 43,361 posts

Posted May 08, 2017 - 05:09 PM

Just remember deer can jump a 5' fence! May want to look at alternative ways to keep them out!

#5 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,129 Thanks
  • 927 posts

Posted May 08, 2017 - 05:45 PM

A healthy Deer can jump an 8 foot fence with no problem, I used Milorganite fertilizer to repel the the deer from my apple trees. Spreed it around the tree no more problem. Guess they don't like the smell. Don

• KennyP said thank you

#6 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • 1,653 Thanks
  • 885 posts

Posted May 08, 2017 - 06:27 PM

Just remember deer can jump a 5' fence! May want to look at alternative ways to keep them out!

5' isn't a stretch even for a young deer, but I don't think they just jump for the heck of it.  I'm hoping the low poultry mesh fence would encourage them to try and step in.  I'm assuming that that first experience would motivate them to seek greener pastures.  Besides, the garden is small enough a decent jump would put the outside the opposite side of the garden.

I used Milorganite fertilizer to repel the the deer from my apple trees. Spreed it around the tree no more problem. Guess they don't like the smell. Don

Problem is the wife asked for electric fence.  I'm not sure bags of poop will meet her expectations.

Edited by MiCarl, May 08, 2017 - 06:29 PM.

• MH81 and secondtry have said thanks

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 34,239 Thanks
  • 43,361 posts

Posted May 08, 2017 - 06:38 PM

5' isn't a stretch even for a young deer, but I don't think they just jump for the heck of it.  I'm hoping the low poultry mesh fence would encourage them to try and step in.  I'm assuming that that first experience would motivate them to seek greener pastures.  Besides, the garden is small enough a decent jump would put the outside the opposite side of the garden.

Problem is the wife asked for electric fence.  I'm not sure bags of poop will meet her expectations.

Depends on if she wants the deer to leave her garden!

• secondtry said thank you

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,917 Thanks
  • 29,739 posts

Posted May 08, 2017 - 06:50 PM

What i know about electric fence's Dont  DO NOT  Pee  on them . Yes it was my first day on the farm . still not funny .

Patrick.

Yes it is...
  • Bill 76 and Little Irish Men have said thanks

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,917 Thanks
  • 29,739 posts

Posted May 08, 2017 - 06:56 PM

You can run a couple strands. One at 4' and one at 6'. Tie plastic bags or rag strips every 3 or 4 feet to aid their seeing the fence. The plastic bags will also rustle which irritates birds.

As for a fencer. Ask around at a couple of places that used to farm. I know we had 4 fencers in the barn when the fence's all came down. Any of them were good for a mile of fence... You may get fence, insulators, and a fencer for cheap.

Just a thought

Edited by MH81, May 08, 2017 - 07:01 PM.

• KennyP and Cvans have said thanks

#10 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 11,825 Thanks
  • 8,940 posts

Posted May 08, 2017 - 07:20 PM

Anything an electric fence can do to you, a weed cutter fence can do twice as bad!

• SupplySergeant said thank you

#11 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,129 Thanks
  • 927 posts

Posted May 08, 2017 - 08:07 PM

Buy the fencer and the milorganite then when the fencer fails you can be a hero with the fertilizer. Don

#12 SupplySergeant ONLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,557 Thanks
  • 889 posts

Posted May 08, 2017 - 08:16 PM

Anything an electric fence can do to you, a weed cutter fence can do twice as bad!

Including set the place on fire! They do work well...

#13 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 8,324 Thanks
  • 4,574 posts

Posted May 08, 2017 - 09:22 PM

Shoot the deer

• MH81 said thank you

#14 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • 1,653 Thanks
  • 885 posts

Posted May 09, 2017 - 06:37 AM

Shoot the deer

She says I'm not allowed to shoot "her deer".  But I guess she thinks "her deer" should eat the neighbors' gardens.

• MH81 said thank you

#15 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,606 Thanks
  • 5,519 posts

Posted May 09, 2017 - 07:09 AM

My neighbors had 2 strands of hot wire for deer, about 2' and 4', seem to be enough to keep the deer out as they had a gorgeous garden every year.

I use electric fence around my fish pond, seems my new pup likes to tear up everything, including pulling out my pond ponds and shredding them. I just use the cheapest convertor from Tractor supply, I think it was 1 or 2 mile box, works great for short runs.

Pup tried crawling under fence the other night. He was fine as his fur didn't charge him up, but he's not too bright, decided to touch wire with his nose. He yelped and pretty much disappeared in the house for the rest of the night. At least he's staying out of the pond.

• SupplySergeant and MiCarl have said thanks