41 replies to this topic

#16 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• Member No: 9923
  • 1,991 Thanks
  • 1,534 posts

Posted May 10, 2017 - 01:29 PM

I've gotten things from both. No real issues to speak of. I like Salem better though. Brian is great when you have questions.

Eric

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
  • 637Yeoman said thank you

#17 kencombs OFFLINE  

kencombs

• Member No: 8398
  • 19 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted May 12, 2017 - 11:04 AM

Regarding deck installation/removal:

Driving over an Ingersoll deck won't harm it in the slightest, except maybe paint wear.  I prefer to lift the front of the tractor with a hoist and remove the deck and mule drive as one unit. 

If you have a way to lift the front that leaves the area in front of the tractor open (ie: jack won't work) that is by far the fastest/easiest.

raise the cutting height to the max, wheels all the way down.

lower the lift control and remove the pins from the lift links.

loosen the belt tension and remove the belt from the PTO

pull the snap-fast pins

raise the front of the tractor

grasp the mule bracket, lift slightly while pulling forward

it will roll out on the rear wheels

Reverse to install

If you can't lift it, still leave the mule on the deck

follow the steps above but drive in reverse to take it off EXCEPT lower the deck all the way.

works best on grass and with a lumber wedge behind the front wheel to remove

and in front of the wheel to install

Some people have  attached the wedges to a thin piece of lumber that locates both the on/off ramps

• dropped82, LilysDad and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#18 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 1,023 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted May 12, 2017 - 12:39 PM

Regarding your thread title... now that you own a case/ingersoll, welcome to adulthood!  :poke:

I always wanted to use one of those eye poke smileys.

As you'll find these tractors are different.  Most owners i've heard of drive over the deck, it is one of the perks.  built very tough also pretty flat and low.

As for parts.  You need to put away the childish ( :rolling:) ways... no more ebay, generic stuff.  Your best sources are the established dealers as mentioned above.   Here's why.  The dealers have gone to bat over the years for the owners.  They got the prices knocked way down, they got obsolete stuff made again, the had improvements made through the manufacturer.  Some stuff like belts the factory stuff is just the best, don't want a belt blowing in the middle of extreme weather etc.

The other reason is that the dealers mentioned, especially Brian, use and repair these machines, buy and sell, they know them inside out and are free with their information and time, they really care about keeping them going.  There is a c/i learning curve and these guys make it easier.

Brian at Salem Power being the best, you can send him an email directly if you can't get through the sales form. 

The other guy mentioned above has a good rep tho i never used him.  The 3rd one is the barneveld implement company, 2 brothers. 

Back to the adult thing (ran out of smiley faces).. just have to be patient, persistent, these guys are busy but once you get ahold of them the service is excellent, good luck

also, some of the old-time case guys may gripe about eastman, who bought out Ingersoll a while back and seem to be going under every few years.  whether or not they expire i believe they sent their parts distribution to a professional network, maybe in the midwest?  cdi or something like that, have a good reputation and the dealers are good about keeping the parts in stock, especially the consumables... 

Edited by Oldford, May 12, 2017 - 12:43 PM.

• dropped82, LilysDad and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#19 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

--Crazy about GTTalk-- 'sort of'

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 11,424 Thanks
  • 8,681 posts

Posted May 12, 2017 - 05:20 PM

Regarding your thread title... now that you own a case/ingersoll, welcome to adulthood!  :poke:

The title is just another way of saying I'm new to Ingersoll.

I sent an order off on the 9th to Salem for blades and I got it this morning. I bought a aftermarket seat that will do for this year. Now I just need time to work on it.

Thanks for all the replies about mounting the deck. I jacked it up and got it in from the side. Kind of awkward, but it's on. I don't have a tree to lift it from.

• Oldford and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#20 indy2door OFFLINE  

indy2door
  • Member No: 69668
  • 3 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted May 13, 2017 - 12:03 AM

I had an issue with Casegardentractorparts. His site wanted 9.10 per blade​ for shipping. It turns out he only lives 10 miles from me, so I tried to call him. He never answered.
     I gave Salem a try again and their site worked fine this time. The internet saves so many headaches.

When Bolens 1000 buys out a Ingersoll dealer, I won't have to screw around anymore.

After being strung along on a parts order by casegardentractorparts.com since April, 2016, I would not recommend them for any kind of purchase. Get your parts from Brian at Salem Power or Bill or Charley at Barneveld. They will treat you right and you will get your parts promptly.

#21 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,491 Thanks
  • 4,629 posts

Posted May 13, 2017 - 04:12 AM

The title is just another way of saying I'm new to Ingersoll.

Here I thought you are going through a second childhood. And possibly back in diapers......
And found a new brand to carry you through it.
  • KennyP and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#22 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

• Contributor
  • 11,424 Thanks
  • 8,681 posts

Posted May 13, 2017 - 11:31 AM

A friend who knows Mr. Myers tells me his father passed away a few months back. Perhaps that is a partial explaination.

#23 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

• Contributor
  • 11,424 Thanks
  • 8,681 posts

Posted May 13, 2017 - 04:52 PM

I did my first mowing today. It did a very nice job. . . . .            However . . .    two points; the shifter seems to be pretty jerky going into forward or reverse. I'm not able to 'feather' it. Partly because the shift lever is sticky and I have to be careful, but it seems that I must not run the throttle wide open.

The other thing, the steering is a lot heavier than my Wheel Horse.

Edited by LilysDad, May 13, 2017 - 04:53 PM.

#24 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher
  • Member No: 2755
  • 685 Thanks
  • 712 posts

Posted May 13, 2017 - 07:08 PM

I did my first mowing today. It did a very nice job. . . . .            However . . .    two points; the shifter seems to be pretty jerky going into forward or reverse. I'm not able to 'feather' it. Partly because the shift lever is sticky and I have to be careful, but it seems that I must not run the throttle wide open.

The other thing, the steering is a lot heavier than my Wheel Horse.

If you apply a little down pressure on travel control lever it relieves pressure on detention hump for more smother shifting.    

• LilysDad and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#25 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher
  • Member No: 2755
  • 685 Thanks
  • 712 posts

Posted May 14, 2017 - 01:22 PM

Being new to Case Ingersoll. Here is a couple of pictures of what you can look forward to some time. Not hard just a lot of things to take off for the simple job of changing tank fuel line. On the 3000 series lot easier with tire removed. One other thing the two large silver bolts on back. They hold the back plate on the one on the left attaches to top of frame the right one goes through frame into rear housing. Not much of a gap use thin air nozzle and clean right side really good . Any thing you knock loose will end up in gear case.  

Attached Thumbnails

• SAM_0826.JPG
  • SAM_0827.JPG

Edited by gopher, May 14, 2017 - 01:40 PM.

• Alc, dropped82, LilysDad and 1 other said thanks

#26 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

• Contributor
  • 11,424 Thanks
  • 8,681 posts

Posted May 14, 2017 - 03:47 PM

When I looked in the hydraulic tank, the fluid level looked low visually. How do I check the level? What fluid do I use?

Edited by LilysDad, May 14, 2017 - 03:48 PM.

• dropped82 and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#27 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• 1,991 Thanks
  • 1,534 posts

Posted May 14, 2017 - 07:48 PM

Use 15w40 diesel oil. I run shell rotella. On the Ingersoll, it should be around 4" down from the cap. I just eyeball it. It's not a critical level. Just make sure you can see it. If it gets too low, it'll suck air and get real jerky and loud. I think I use my index finger haha. Also, i use a small brush and clean around the oil cap before opening. Keeps the crap out. Make sure the cooler is clear of debris also. You can use 15w40 in the rear axle too. The axle seems to be an afterthought on these. It's easy to drain and fill. I mow with my Massey 214gtx quite often and it's a cuts good. Pretty much the same machine just different hood.

Eric

Edited by dropped82, May 14, 2017 - 07:49 PM.

• Alc, gopher, LilysDad and 1 other said thanks

#28 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

• Contributor
  • 11,424 Thanks
  • 8,681 posts

Posted May 18, 2017 - 10:44 AM

RM44 mower deck - According to the parts schematic the spindle housings are supposed to have a grease zerk on the under side of the deck. Mine appear to have none, not even a place for one.

#29 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• 1,991 Thanks
  • 1,534 posts

Posted May 18, 2017 - 03:39 PM

I haven't looked at mine. Will check and post back shortly.

Eric

#30 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

• Contributor
  • 11,424 Thanks
  • 8,681 posts

Posted May 18, 2017 - 03:51 PM

I found a C/I forum and searched there. It was stated that earlier Aluminum spindles did not have zerks. Later cast iron spindles had zerks. In all cases the bearings are sealed. Some folks, drilled and installed zerks and removed the seal from the bearings. Still other folks questioned the efficiency of this trick saying the grease did not flow well.