• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 GardnMastr OFFLINE  

GardnMastr
  • Member No: 85758
  • 333 Thanks
  • 169 posts

Posted May 06, 2017 - 06:32 PM

I went to check on a friend I had bought a tractor from 15 years ago. I was too late by a year and a few months. His nephew had sold most of his tractors. There was 3 Economy, Power Kings left in disrepair. A price was put on all 3. I withdrew the money from the bank and considered buying all. I hesitated and bought the Jim Dandy only. We jump started it and drove it on the trailer. He indicated the battery was only months old. I put it on the slow trickle charger. It load tested fine. In running the tractor, I could tell it was not charging. It is the starter-generator style. Yesterday, I updated the wiring. I found here a wiring schematic for this machine. Thanks KennyP, I think. No luck, still was not charging. I found here a quick test for starter-generators that made perfect sense. Thanks Classic, I think. I tested mine. It was alright. So, the problem had to be the regulator. I shorted the field post on the generator to ground and it started charging. I found KennyP's Delco Remy regulator break down with theory of operation, thanks again. It would not supply the ground to the field post. Under the reg. cover was a tiny broken fuse wire link. I repaired that wire. Hurray! It started charging. I like repairing electrical problems. When you find the answer, and look back, it makes sense of it all. Enjoyable to win, solve the problem, expand your knowledge. Ok, here's the pictures.
  • Gtractor, grnspot110, KennyP and 8 others have said thanks

#2 GardnMastr OFFLINE  

GardnMastr
  • 333 Thanks
  • 169 posts

Posted May 06, 2017 - 06:34 PM

Could someone tell me what year this is, thanks.IMG_0144.JPG IMG_0145.JPG IMG_0146.JPG
  • KennyP, Austen, classic and 4 others have said thanks

#3 countryboy88 OFFLINE  

countryboy88
  • Member No: 8702
  • 94 Thanks
  • 141 posts

Posted May 06, 2017 - 07:29 PM

1968. Nice tractor, looks like you have a fun project ahead of you. Good luck. 

• MNGB, chieffan and GardnMastr have said thanks

#4 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 4,836 Thanks
  • 2,130 posts

Posted May 06, 2017 - 07:42 PM

You're welcome GardnMastr. The test trick with the starter generators can save a lot of aggravation. Nice Jim Dandy you picked up there. I'm really liking the PK that I rebuilt last year and I'm working on a couple of more. They are great tractors to get the work done that I need to do, and very simple to work on. Do yourself a favor and disassemble that starter generator for a good cleaning. They really come alive after doing so. You can also check how worn that it may be, and it's a good time to replace the brushes and bearings if needed.
I went on a similar road trip as you today to look at a parts PK, Kohler engines, and some other PK parts. The Parts PK turned out to be a Jim Dandy size tractor from '76, so there weren't many parts that I could use from it. I passed on it, but came home with a rebuildable K321 and a truck load of needed parts. It's rainy and dreary out so I'm in for the night. Good luck with the new toy! I really like the hood and grill style on Economy tractors from that era.
  • MNGB and GardnMastr have said thanks

#5 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,371 Thanks
  • 7,755 posts

Posted May 06, 2017 - 07:45 PM

Take Duals off!  I wouldn't like those sticking way out. Those dually spacers are worth a lot if you wanted to sell. NOT to me tho, heh!

#6 countryboy88 OFFLINE  

countryboy88
  • Member No: 8702
  • 94 Thanks
  • 141 posts

Posted May 06, 2017 - 08:58 PM

If you like the duels, leave them. I like having the extra traction when pulling heavy items and they leave less tracks in a soft yard.

JD Duals.jpg

• MNGB, Mark 149 J. and GardnMastr have said thanks

#7 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,441 Thanks
  • 7,245 posts

Posted May 07, 2017 - 05:13 AM

Nice tractor ! I don't ever remember a Economy with fenders like those , I'll have to start looking at them closer lol

#8 GardnMastr OFFLINE  

GardnMastr
  • 333 Thanks
  • 169 posts

Posted May 07, 2017 - 06:59 AM

Actually, I live on a mostly wet woods. I had it logged last year. There are 99 or 100 tree tops out there waiting to be cut into firewood. The dual tires looked right for me. I may have to build a 4 wheel dumping trailer. Maybe I'll build it as wide as the dualled tractor. Thanks.
  • MNGB said thank you

#9 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,723 Thanks
  • 1,227 posts

Posted May 07, 2017 - 07:45 AM

Hi nice looking JD you picked up that will make you a nice handy machine

• GardnMastr said thank you

#10 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768