• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 jrbublitz1 OFFLINE  

jrbublitz1
  • Member No: 82060
  • 15 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted May 06, 2017 - 05:33 PM

Off and on I've been checking out garden tractors for sale in the area and would like to pick one up.

Aside from lawn mowing, I have some ground work to do with a tiller as well as driveway grading in the summer and snow removal in the winter. I've looked into some of the Simplicity Sovereign tractors, Case 22X's and 44X's as well as a couple others.

What would your choice of garden tractor be here and why? I'm not limited to those listed above so if you have any to add feel free.

I know the Case models are very well liked for their hydraulic system. Is the left cylinder for the rear lift single or double acting?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Edited by jrbublitz1, May 06, 2017 - 05:43 PM.

• holdenboy1960 said thank you

#2 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 1,100 Thanks
  • 774 posts

Posted May 06, 2017 - 07:37 PM

Where are you located?  are there any other choices?   I had a few case but they're not my thing.  The loaders and hi-wheels are tippy on hills.  The hi-wheels are jerky and can have exploding rear ends.  the low pros are nice but they leak oil being 2000 psi and 30+ years old.  The rear 3pt i had on a 644 had down pressure, usually sleeve hitches don't have down pressure.  If that is what you're asking.

Simplicity is nice but some of the older ones have a bgb which can get sloppy.  I prefer simpler stuff i don't need to rebuild.  i'm not smart enough to fix the more technical stuff like some of the guys on here, good luck

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,417 Thanks
  • 8,451 posts

Posted May 06, 2017 - 07:57 PM

There are pros and cons to most tractors. The best tractor for you may be a deal where the tractor works good and has the attachments you want. It is often better to pay a little extra for better condition and a brand that still has local service.

I can do almost anything to repair tractors myself. This allows me to by cheap junks and fix them up. If you don't want to do repairs, they can be very expensive at a shop. Good Luck, Rick 

Edited by boyscout862, May 06, 2017 - 07:59 PM.

#4 jrbublitz1 OFFLINE  

jrbublitz1
  • 15 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted May 06, 2017 - 08:02 PM

I'm in Wisconsin about an hour north of Wausau (kind if the northern part of the state). There's a lot of Deere and Simplicity in the area. Sometimes I'll see a Bolens, Massey, Ford. A few Case/Ingersolls have showed up over the last week.

I'm not opposed to buying anything that needs some work. I used to be a service tech for farm equipment dealerships.

Edited by jrbublitz1, May 06, 2017 - 08:04 PM.

• oldedeeres, Oldford and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#5 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 5,826 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted May 06, 2017 - 10:49 PM

I use a case 155 12hp around the house not for mowing but for moving dirt, snow and fire wood duty I love the hydraulic power for the blade and rear lift it also has a hi lo rear its a good tough machine.

• oldedeeres and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#6 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 922 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted May 07, 2017 - 07:39 AM

I my self wish they still made the Sperry Rand New Holland / Ariens garden tractor. I have a S 12 SR/NH and a Ariens S 16H. Love the easy on easy off attachments and love the PTO drive hook ups.

I also own a couple of Simplicity garden tractors a 7112 with the bdg and it is still tight after all these years just do the manintaince properly and no problems. The second is a 1988 6517 but it doesn't use a bdg and I have more problems with the mower deck belt drive than any other garden tractor I own even though it is the newest. The adjustment for the disengage and engage is really picky

With that being said keep in mind most garden tractors used some one else's engine like in many other brands, Same with the hydrostat drives so that gives you a source for parts for a brand no longer made or sold. 

:D   Al

#7 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 1,100 Thanks
  • 774 posts

Posted May 07, 2017 - 07:46 AM

I'm in Wisconsin about an hour north of Wausau (kind if the northern part of the state). There's a lot of Deere and Simplicity in the area. Sometimes I'll see a Bolens, Massey, Ford. A few Case/Ingersolls have showed up over the last week.

I'm not opposed to buying anything that needs some work. I used to be a service tech for farm equipment dealerships.

Being used to farm equipt then Case might work for you, they were made in WI so should be plenty of options for your ground engaging chores.  Try to find one with the 3pt on it as they can get expensive off the tractor.  If you want to use a tiller look for a tractor with the rear pto installed, for the same reason. 

Deere have some nice options but they can get finicky when older, hydro creep, worn out hydro shafts come to mind.  I found the Case dozer blade to be more durable,  but Deere has factory power angle option on the 300-up series.  Deere 3pt also harder to find than case.

Ford LGT are ok but rear lifts are hard to find and the steering box tends to wear out and nla.   I like bolens but if you need a rear 3pt can be very hard to find.  I like the foot pedal hydro and no-frills design of bolens plus they are cheap near me... good luck

#8 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 5,774 Thanks
  • 5,734 posts

Posted May 07, 2017 - 10:42 AM

After owning a quite a few GT's there is one thing I find very desirable and that is a foot controlled hydro. If that is not a concern for you then a Wheel Horse would be my first choice. Extremely easy to maintain, long lived and attachments are fairly common. 

• HANKG and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#9 jrbublitz1 OFFLINE  

jrbublitz1
  • 15 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted May 07, 2017 - 11:46 AM

Over the last few weeks there have been a lot of Case models snowing up as well as attachments for sale. The Case models listed earlier are the ones I've been seeing. I'm not sure what they had for dealers in the area so local support may or may not be that great. But I'm fairly confident I could take care of most issues myself. What is meant by low pro?

Are there other tractors besides Bolens that use a foot controlled hydro?

There is a Bolens 1455 (2 tractors and a bunch of attachments) that's come up in the last couple days which seems to be a pretty good deal.
https://wausau.craig...6115483558.html

• pryan05 said thank you

#10 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 5,774 Thanks
  • 5,734 posts

Posted May 07, 2017 - 12:38 PM

Bolens are good tractors and there is a lot of support for them available. That particular one looks to have been modified which can be a can of worms if not done properly.

There could be but I'm not familiar with them. 

#11 jrbublitz1 OFFLINE  

jrbublitz1
  • 15 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted May 07, 2017 - 01:46 PM

Bolens are good tractors and there is a lot of support for them available. That particular one looks to have been modified which can be a can of worms if not done properly.

Where are you seeing possible modifications so I can take this up with the seller? Keep in mind too this is a 2 tractor package.

#12 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 5,774 Thanks
  • 5,734 posts

Posted May 07, 2017 - 06:28 PM

I'm no Bolens expert but that engine does not look stock. I thought they came with 14hp  Wisconsin 1 cylinder engine. Unless I'm seeing things that looks to be an 18hp. V twin. If your not a purest that could be a nice update to have if it was done properly. 

Edited by Cvans, May 07, 2017 - 06:30 PM.

#13 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 38,021 Thanks
  • 30,441 posts

Posted May 07, 2017 - 06:32 PM

As far as foot controlled hydro, Massey/Snapper has it, and even Bush Hog HD's (rare to find though) as well.  I know there are others but nothing pops into my head at the moment.

• Cvans said thank you

#14 jrbublitz1 OFFLINE  

jrbublitz1
  • 15 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted May 07, 2017 - 07:04 PM

I'm no Bolens expert but that engine does not look stock. I thought they came with 14hp  Wisconsin 1 cylinder engine. Unless I'm seeing things that looks to be an 18hp. V twin. If your not a purest that could be a nice update to have if it was done properly.

Hmm...Yea duh. I was looking a bit at model info last night and saw they had 14hp Wisconsin engines stock. These were repowered with the Briggs and Stratton Vanguards. I thought you picked up on something else. Definitely worth having discussion on.

Anyone have experience with the older Cub Cadet/Internationals?

I know Simplicity and Allis Chalmers were the same. When did Massey join this club?

#15 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 5,826 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted May 08, 2017 - 08:41 PM

Over the last few weeks there have been a lot of Case models snowing up as well as attachments for sale. The Case models listed earlier are the ones I've been seeing. I'm not sure what they had for dealers in the area so local support may or may not be that great. But I'm fairly confident I could take care of most issues myself. What is meant by low pro?

There is a Bolens 1455 (2 tractors and a bunch of attachments) that's come up in the last couple days which seems to be a pretty good deal.
https://wausau.craig...6115483558.html I think old ford means the (low profile) Case GTS REGULAR HEIGHT

• Cvans and holdenboy1960 have said thanks