Posted May 03, 2017 - 04:52 PM

4 Bolens also,

#4 MiCarl OFFLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 1,749 Thanks
  • 933 posts

Posted May 03, 2017 - 06:10 PM

I wonder if we'll see something like that come back.

The typical homeowner uses his tractor for a couple hours then parks it for 2-3 days or longer.  Plenty of time to recharge.

No oil changes.  No gunked up carburetor if it sits for a few weeks unused.

• Alc, old coot and Bob E have said thanks

#5 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,371 Thanks
  • 7,757 posts

Posted May 03, 2017 - 06:34 PM

Think they DO have some new ones, just cost big bucks!  Lots of little push ones coming out too. Biggest issue is "selling" the public on it. After past years of not so good success on some models, public shy's away from such things.  More and more company's coming out with batt devices now days, just have to find the correct designs that will last. AND, we are getting better at designing batteries now days that last longer also.

• Alc, Oldford, old coot and 1 other said thanks

#6 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 3,926 Thanks
  • 2,310 posts

Posted May 03, 2017 - 08:51 PM

4 Bolens also,

Learn to count, there are five! :poke: :D

#7 MolonLabe ONLINE  

MolonLabe

Rust Wrangler

• Member No: 59683
  • 538 Thanks
  • 305 posts

Posted May 04, 2017 - 05:21 AM

This Ryobi RM480e claims to have a 2 hour run time for up to 2 acres of mowing.

Ryobi RM480e.jpg

The brushless motors in this new generation of mowers makes them much more efficient than the older designs. Don't see one in my future but it may appeal to some.

• Oldford, old coot, MiCarl and 1 other said thanks

#8 SimplyRad OFFLINE  

SimplyRad
  • Member No: 84410
  • 867 Thanks
  • 690 posts

Posted May 04, 2017 - 08:45 AM

Unless Ryobi has improved a lot on their batteries I wouldn't consider one. Bought a 14.4V drill some years ago and I just run through the batteries like they were not rechargeable. The bigger problem with is I got it at Home Depot and they mover out of town when Lowes moved in so I cannot get a battery for it any more. Just might see if I do some cell swapping.

• js5020, Oldford, old coot and 1 other said thanks

#9 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 646 Thanks
  • 754 posts

Posted May 04, 2017 - 09:39 AM

Awhile back (15yrs ago) I bought a 24V weedwacker, first year it was better than sliced bread, 2nd year it was dead!  Loved plugging in the battery and pushing the button and going to work, no pulling, no mixed gas around, and it worked as well as a single string electric I had.  With the short life of the unit I didn't touch another for 15yrs and wasn't about to either.  Last year I ventured out and bought a 56V Worx, 2nd year and it isn't dead!  I love it, cuts as well as my big gas job it replaced, battery life is a bit under what I need but I don't like trimming to begin with so it gives me a rest period.

As far as an E GT goes,,, sure I'd give one a go BUT only if it was marketed by a long standing US brand and reasonably priced, last thing I want is something that is from a company who just opened the doors and will have questionable engineering/attachment/parts supply and likely will be totally gone in less than 3yrs leaving me with a useless hunk of metal.

Last E GT company I saw trying to get something going seemed to mirror the GE with updated components, looked great, speced great but if I remember correctly the pricing wasn't all that good,,,, cost was close to a JD x7 series/series1, not going to capture much interest there for sure.

• Oldford and Bob E have said thanks

#10 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 1,134 Thanks
  • 786 posts

Posted May 04, 2017 - 11:26 AM

to my mind they already made the perfect electric GT, it is the one in the picture above.  GE E15, and similar of that size and vintage.  Could get a tiller, blower, plow, and that front deck looks real nice.   Can't see anybody making something like that these days.

Unfortunately I can't own one of those for the same reason it never took off in america.  I'm too dumb to fix the electronics.

I looked at one a few years ago locally from a "elek-trac guru" kind of guy.  There is a network who know how to fix/upgrade the wiring rat's nest/rusted-up fuse box/speed controller etc. with some kind of "black box" solid state gizmo, unfortunately they are pretty secretive about their treasures and mostly just trade/sell among themselves, there is an old-style Web list for them.  The one i tried out was on craigslist but once he saw i was a beginner i think he sold/traded it via fastenal to a enthusiast down south. how it goes...

so like most americans if they run an old GT at all i run a gas one, easier to fix/work on/get parts for.  One day if i wake up smart i'll get an Elek-Trac but it seems like the older i get the dumber i get so will just keep on burning the gas until i am gas lol...

Edited by Oldford, May 04, 2017 - 11:38 AM.

• MolonLabe said thank you

#11 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 5,075 Thanks
  • 5,487 posts

Posted May 04, 2017 - 03:38 PM

The small frames, E8 and E10 are the simplest and easiest to fix, they have no speed controller, basically turn on the motor and use the clutch and trany for you speeds just like running a gas gear drive tractor at full engine speed all the time.

AS far as fixing them the Home Owners service manual is what you need, it was made by GE to tell the average guy how they work, how to fix them. All the models and variations.

http://gardentractor...service-manual/

• CRFarnsworth and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#12 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 4,327 Thanks
  • 1,996 posts

Posted May 04, 2017 - 08:10 PM

I looked at one a few years ago locally from a "elek-trac guru" kind of guy.  There is a network who know how to fix/upgrade the wiring rat's nest/rusted-up fuse box/speed controller etc. with some kind of "black box" solid state gizmo, unfortunately they are pretty secretive about their treasures and mostly just trade/sell among themselves, there is an old-style Web list for them.  The one i tried out was on craigslist but once he saw i was a beginner i think he sold/traded it via fastenal to a enthusiast down south. how it goes...

There is no real secret to it. 

I rebuilt an E-14 as did my brother.  Lots of replacement parts available.  If you can read a schematic and rewire a G.T you can do the same with an Elec-Trak.  

That magical Black box gizmo has been around for decades on electric lift trucks/order pickers/ pallet movers/ etc. It can be transferred to an older electric model,  kind of the same as doing an engine upgrade or transmission swap or wiring redo. 

In some ways it is easier than messing with the engine/ fuel/ electrical on a G.T.

I have both types and enjoy both of them.      Rick

• DH1 and Mark 149 J. have said thanks