• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Macmagee OFFLINE  

Macmagee
  • Member No: 86556
  • 30 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted May 02, 2017 - 05:38 PM

Luke the guy with the landlord got back to me and said $125 and I said sold.now what do I have to do to it to get it ready? The pic shows a shaft out front is that a pto? And on the left side shows a handle with a lot of belts. Need help newbie here plus I am 62 and handicapped so l have to go slow. Thanks to you and all the others for your help.
  • 637Yeoman said thank you

#2 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 1,550 Thanks
  • 1,254 posts

Posted May 02, 2017 - 05:49 PM

Luke the guy with the landlord got back to me and said $125 and I said sold.now what do I have to do to it to get it ready? The pic shows a shaft out front is that a pto? And on the left side shows a handle with a lot of belts. Need help newbie here plus I am 62 and handicapped so l have to go slow. Thanks to you and all the others for your help.

125 is a good deal.

First thing i would do is worry about getting good tires. Like i said, you dont want too much power. I know guys that run with 20hp and that seems to be good. The weak point on these is the drive tube. If you go to the lower end of the tractor, I think its by the left wheel, there is a differential. To that differential is a tube, that drives that side of the tractor. To strengthen this, you can take some hose clamps, to put around it. I would get as many as you can, to make it as strong as possible. Make it run good is another thing. You would be amazed at how much it helps to burn all of your fuel, and have the motor running efficiently. Something ive done recently to my landlord is put a car coil on

IMG_3937 (1).JPG

this makes sure you burn all the fuel, and you will increase your performance.

Another thing, if you want to get more serious, and more power, you can mill the head. I milled my vh70 techumseh, *Totally different motor* 1/8 inch and that helped a bit. with that raise compression, and hotter spark, you can now run 110 octane racing gas. You will need to adjust your carb to accomidate this fuel, and when its adjusted, it wont run good on normal octane gas.

If you have a welder, and a chunk of bar stock that is heavy enough to bother with, something like 4" in diameter, you can make a counterweight, or, if you want to get really serious, you can fabricate a weight bracket that goes off the back of the tractor, and one for the front of it as well. You want to get as much weight up front, without adding it, so you can have more on the back for traction. The way i did this on my other puller, is we wired it so the battery can be placed up front. This adds another 15 pounds or so, which helps quite a bit. AND the big thing is, you didnt add any extra weight.

#3 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • 1,550 Thanks
  • 1,254 posts

Posted May 02, 2017 - 05:56 PM

00q0q_4JI1YUgabAT_600x450.jpg

Is this the one? If so, what belts are we speaking of?

Thanks, Luke

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 Macmagee OFFLINE  

Macmagee
  • 30 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted May 02, 2017 - 08:03 PM

Yes this is it I must be seeing things.what about the pto?also what did you wire the coil to pos on battery? And then to the ballast resistor? The tires are dry rotted what size and brand would you reccommed? Thanks for the help.

#5 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • 1,550 Thanks
  • 1,254 posts

Posted May 02, 2017 - 08:30 PM

The shaft up front is just the crank from the motor. While it is used to run implements, you dont have to worry about it. I would suggest good year or firestone. size 8-12.  I wouldnt go oversize as thats how you break stuff.

Positive side of coil to ballast resistor, other side to switch, other side of switch to positive terminal of battery, then negative side of coil to points.

Welcome for the help, ask as many questions as you would like, ill answer all to the best of my ability 

Edited by 637Yeoman, May 02, 2017 - 08:32 PM.

• Macmagee said thank you

#6 Macmagee OFFLINE  

Macmagee
  • 30 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted May 02, 2017 - 08:42 PM

When you say switch you mean ignition switch?neg side to switch? Where do I pick up neg side to switch ? The points are they located on outside of motor?tire size 800x12? Sorry for all the confusion.

#7 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • 1,550 Thanks
  • 1,254 posts

Posted May 02, 2017 - 08:46 PM

When you say switch you mean ignition switch?neg side to switch? Where do I pick up neg side to switch ? The points are they located on outside of motor?tire size 800x12? Sorry for all the confusion.

You will have to wire a secondary switch, so you will mount a seperate switch some where on the tractor. It dont matter what side of the switch you use, you can swap the sides and it will work the same. Points are on the outside under the carb. There is a cover that will need taken off. 8-12 is the size, not 800x12

#8 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,986 Thanks
  • 8,773 posts

Posted May 02, 2017 - 08:57 PM

First download the owner's, engine, and shop manuals from our Manuals Section. Projects like this can quickly get overwhelming if you don't have a plan. The owners manual has a maintenance plan so, use it as your guide. Take your time, watch a bunch of Zippo Vargas' videos, on Youtube, about these tractors. Ask us questions when you need help or post pics when you want to brag. We are all in this together. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, May 02, 2017 - 08:58 PM.

#9 Macmagee OFFLINE  

Macmagee
  • 30 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted May 02, 2017 - 09:50 PM

Are the tires 25x8x12

#10 Macmagee OFFLINE  

Macmagee
  • 30 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted May 02, 2017 - 10:03 PM

One more question then I am going to bed the coil wire is connected to the plug and the other end is connected to the coil what do you do just cut off the coil?

#11 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • 1,550 Thanks
  • 1,254 posts

Posted May 02, 2017 - 10:18 PM

One more question then I am going to bed the coil wire is connected to the plug and the other end is connected to the coil what do you do just cut off the coil?

There is a seperate wire for the plug, the wiring is the same

And yes, i do believe that is the tire size but i will have to check

Edited by 637Yeoman, May 02, 2017 - 10:47 PM.

#12 Macmagee OFFLINE  

Macmagee
  • 30 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted May 03, 2017 - 04:52 AM

I don't follow you wha do you do with the existing coil wire? I see in your pic the spark plug end is original where did you get the coil end with the boot? And what did you do with the original wire off the coil ?

#13 Macmagee OFFLINE  

Macmagee
  • 30 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted May 03, 2017 - 05:28 AM

I just watched zippo video about installing a coil and he used a condenser if I buy one what do I ask for? A small block chevy?

#14 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • 1,550 Thanks
  • 1,254 posts

Posted May 03, 2017 - 07:51 AM

Ok, The Car coil, which is what your putting on, has an end for the spark plug. Put some black tape on the original coil plug wire, and tuck it back somewhere. You want to put a car coil on. Dosent matter where its from, the car coil that is. The only reason you would need to put a new condenser on is if its bad. If you have spark with the original coil, everything is fine, and nothing needs replaced.

#15 Macmagee OFFLINE  

Macmagee
  • 30 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted May 03, 2017 - 11:41 AM

Luke you mentioned putting hose clamps on the tube what does that do keep it from walking?