#16 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 7,107 Thanks
  • 2,323 posts

Posted May 03, 2017 - 03:48 PM

The sun was shining this morning but it rained some more last night so the lawn cleanup got put on hold as there was still water laying on the ground - I decided I would try and weld the seat pieces together.  Made two angle brackets out of some 1/8" x 1" flat steel that matched the bend angle between the back and bottom of the seat pan and used them to clamp the new back and bottom piece in position for welding.  Once the pieces were tacked along the bottom I removed the vise grips and brackets and then aligned and tacked the two side pieces. Then I used two 3/8" x 1" UNC grade 5 bolts to act as the pan mounting bolts and placed the bolt plate on top and then used two 3/8" nuts underneath and tightened the bolts up.  Tacked the bolt plate in position and then I welded the heads of the bolts to the plate and finished welding the seat pan - took my time doing small areas and let things cool down so it did not distort too much from the welding.  After that I sanded the outer weld at the back and bottom join smooth so it would not cut into the seat cover and drilled two drain holes in the corners - I didn't sand the inside of the weld join much as the padding will go against it - made sure the outer edge where the door edge moulding I use was smooth at the outer edge of the join.  Since the sun was still shining and it was warm in the sun I found some red paint and painted the seat pan.  The last picture is of a 1050 seat pan that I had thought about fixing that is badly rusted and broken at the back bend but now that I can make a new one I don't think I will bother fixing it.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Brackets To Match Back To Bottom Angle.jpg
  • 2 Back And Bottom Clamped For Welding.jpg
  • 3 Back And Bottom Clamped For Welding.jpg
  • 4 Pieces Tacked.jpg
  • 5 Sides Tacked.jpg
  • 6 Back And Sides Tacked Top View.jpg
  • 7 Bolt Plate And Bolts In Position.jpg
  • 8 Nuts Tightened On Bolts.jpg
  • 9 Bolt Plate Tacked.jpg
  • 10 Seat Pan Welded.jpg
  • 11 Seat Pan Welded Bottom View.jpg
  • 12 Seat Weld Sanded On Back And Bottom.jpg
  • 13 Seat Weld Sanded On Back And Bottom.jpg
  • 14 Top View Drain Holes At Corners Drilled.jpg
  • 15 Top View Drain Holes At Corners Drilled.jpg
  • 16 Seat Pan Painted.jpg
  • 17 Seat Pan Painted.jpg
  • 18 Seat Pan Painted.jpg
  • 19 Seat Pan Painted.jpg
  • 20 Badly Rusted And Broken Seat Pan.jpg

• Bolens 1000, DH1, blackjackjakexxix and 5 others have said thanks

#17 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 2,527 Thanks
  • 1,827 posts

Posted May 05, 2017 - 06:41 AM

That turned out spectacular.

Very nice!!
  • 29 Chev said thank you

#18 ClassicBolens ONLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 48806
  • 1,357 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted May 05, 2017 - 07:51 AM

Fantastic!
  • 29 Chev said thank you

#19 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 1,186 Thanks
  • 743 posts

Posted May 05, 2017 - 12:31 PM

WOW, awesome work! So what's next?? You need something more challenging? Maybe reproduce a 900 seat pan from scratch?? LOL! :poke:

• 29 Chev said thank you

#20 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 7,107 Thanks
  • 2,323 posts

Posted May 05, 2017 - 02:24 PM

So what's next?? You need something more challenging? Maybe reproduce a 900 seat pan from scratch?? LOL! :poke:

Not sure there would be any demand for new seat pans for a Bolens 900 - Husky and Bolens1000 may have seat pans for sale if someone is in need of one.

• blackjackjakexxix and logmillingman have said thanks

#21 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 1,186 Thanks
  • 743 posts

Posted May 05, 2017 - 03:41 PM

Not sure there would be any demand for new seat pans for a Bolens 900 - Husky and Bolens1000 may have seat pans for sale if someone is in need of one.

I was just picking on you because the 900 seat pan is an odd shape and has the metal lip that pinches the material.  I had the privilege to see the 900 seat you did for Bolens1000 in person. It is top notch work!

• Bolens 1000, 29 Chev and logmillingman have said thanks

#22 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 7,107 Thanks
  • 2,323 posts

Posted May 05, 2017 - 06:24 PM

I was just picking on you because the 900 seat pan is an odd shape and has the metal lip that pinches the material.  I had the privilege to see the 900 seat you did for Bolens1000 in person. It is top notch work!

I figured as much - the 900 seat pan would be a challenge to make due to the curved nature and outer metal lip - glad to hear you liked the seat Bolens1000 got .  I was thinking it might be a good time to see if I can make another seat for a Bolens 1000 before I forget how to do one - not sure if there would be much demand for one - right now I have other "life" challenges to keep me busy for a little while.

:watch_over_fence:

• blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt and logmillingman have said thanks

#23 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 1,186 Thanks
  • 743 posts

Posted May 07, 2017 - 10:07 PM

I figured as much - the 900 seat pan would be a challenge to make due to the curved nature and outer metal lip - glad to hear you liked the seat Bolens1000 got .  I was thinking it might be a good time to see if I can make another seat for a Bolens 1000 before I forget how to do one - not sure if there would be much demand for one - right now I have other "life" challenges to keep me busy for a little while.

:watch_over_fence:

I have 2 Bolens 1000 seats that I need done, LOL. But at this time I don't have the funds to send them to you. I wish I did, but I got about 3 projects going right now that like to make my money disappear faster than I can make it!  It's too bad, 2-1000 seats would of refreshed your memory for sure! :wallbanging: