Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

What in your mind, qualifies as a garden tractor?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 8,324 Thanks
  • 4,574 posts

Posted May 01, 2017 - 10:20 PM

Size doesn't necessarily fit into the equation. 

My 3 horsepower Bantam, with 400x8 rear tires, and a 3.50x6 front tire, could have been bought new with a turning plow, disk, and cultivator.  I got a front dozer blade with it when I bought it.   I'd say that makes it a full bore garden tractor - but its smaller than most lawn mowers.

Its dimensions are certainly smaller than the Gambles 5 horse verticle Briggs, ball burner,  hard tired, FNR tranny, handlebar steering, lawn mower I used to mow with while growing up.

bantam.jpg

• tractorgarden, propane1 and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#17 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 5,775 Thanks
  • 5,736 posts

Posted May 01, 2017 - 11:50 PM

On the older ones if it doesn't have 5 lug rear wheels I don't consider it a garden tractor. Can't speak for the newer machines. 

• toppop52, MolonLabe, MiCarl and 1 other said thanks

#18 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 1,543 Thanks
  • 1,250 posts

Posted May 01, 2017 - 11:53 PM

On the older ones if it doesn't have 5 lug rear wheels I don't consider it a garden tractor. Can't speak for the newer machines. 

I thought about that too. The new ones with 5 lug wheels, can be gt's, but often time there not.

• My3kidsfather said thank you

#19 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,917 Thanks
  • 29,739 posts

Posted May 02, 2017 - 01:29 AM

Has anyone checked out the definitions in the tech wiki? They've been there a while.
http://gardentractor...i.html/_/gt-r21
  • 637Yeoman and My3kidsfather have said thanks

#20 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,129 Thanks
  • 927 posts

Posted May 02, 2017 - 01:43 AM

There are a lot of two wheel machines that qualify as garden tractors by most standards. The old David Bradly 2 wheel tractors did an amassing amount of work with 1.8 HP.  I used one with 16" ag tires and a 6" plow to plow a 1/4 acre garden. Only took a couple hrs. That worked the machine hard but it worked me a lot harder. If I remember correctly I used about 3 pints of gas. Don 

• MH81 and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#21 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,606 Thanks
  • 5,519 posts

Posted May 02, 2017 - 07:42 AM

I think dropped82 pretty much matches my definition.

I think dropped82 pretty much summed it up.

Thanks guys, giver him a bigger head than he already has  :poke:  :poke: :poke:  :rolling:  :rolling:  :rolling:  :rolling:  

• tractorgarden, dropped82 and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#22 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,876 Thanks
  • 1,249 posts

Posted May 02, 2017 - 09:15 AM

Some of the newish MTDs have a 4 lug wheel, but fit more into the YT class. It doesn't take much to snap 3/4" axles

• toppop52 and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#23 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 4,586 Thanks
  • 4,293 posts

Posted May 02, 2017 - 09:38 AM

I disagree, respectfully. :D

My Wizard had press on wheels, but it had 1" axles and a HD hydro and could plow all day, I also had a Murray that had 1" axles, a HD Peerless 5 speed and press on wheels. The only difference is the hubs, press on hubs instead of wheels and bolt the 5 lugs on, that won't make it bit heavier duty.

• Cvans and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#24 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • 4,586 Thanks
  • 4,293 posts

Posted May 02, 2017 - 09:46 AM

Some of the newish MTDs have a 4 lug wheel, but fit more into the YT class. It doesn't take much to snap 3/4" axles

Now I have to respectfully disagree with you too. :D

My Cub Cadet 3208 has 4 lug wheels, a very HD transaxle, 1.18" axles, 24" tires, a Kawasaki 20 h.p. liquid cooled engine, power steering, shat drive and weighs 950 lbs with no attachments, it ain't a yard tractor.

• 637Yeoman said thank you

#25 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

• 1,876 Thanks
  • 1,249 posts

Posted May 02, 2017 - 10:18 AM

Now I have to respectfully disagree with you too. :D

My Cub Cadet 3208 has 4 lug wheels, a very HD transaxle, 1.18" axles, 24" tires, a Kawasaki 20 h.p. liquid cooled engine, power steering, shat drive and weighs 950 lbs with no attachments, it ain't a yard tractor.

I think you missed the point. Bolt on wheels is not a good indicator on whether it can withstand ground engaging equipment. I had a JD 116 with a 3 bolt flange that could pull alot more than the MTD 4 bolt, due to axle size

• toppop52 and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#26 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • 4,586 Thanks
  • 4,293 posts

Posted May 02, 2017 - 02:19 PM

I agree it's no real indicator as I said in the first post. But my point was that all 4 lug MTD Cubs aren't lawn mowers. The 3000 series with all the things I listed and a heavy frame, is as capable as most older GT's. The 2000 series is a light garden/YT 1000 series is a lawn mower.

#27 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

• 1,876 Thanks
  • 1,249 posts

Posted May 02, 2017 - 02:29 PM

I wasn't even up to cub cadet quality. I have seen the yard man/ yard machine junk with bolt on wheels.

#28 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 1,101 Thanks
  • 774 posts

Posted May 03, 2017 - 07:59 AM

I think the original question was about riding machines from from small to large..?..  here is how i would class them based on what i have seen and read about over the years early 60s-early 90s the "golden age" of garden tractors, riding tractors made before recycled chinese metal took over...

RER rear-engine rider mostly for mowing the grass, snapper and other brands with tiny wheels and small stamped metal "frames"

Lawn Tractor has small back wheels, no factory blade/blower (too flimsy) and just a tow ball on the back sheet metal "frame," for light "lawn carts" hauling leaves, mulch, etc.

Yard Tractor bigger than a lawn tractor and maybe a thicker frame.  Limited factory options for front "snow blade" (thin metal) or even a small blower, still only a tow ball on the back.  Armstrong lift.

Garden Tractor usually has 3 or more lug bolts on a rear flange hub.  Rear rims usually 12-16."  Factory ground implements like a heavy front dozer blade, factory rear option Cat 0 or sleeve hitch.   Any rear PTO usually unique to the make/model.  Can safely handle a small add-on loader, sometimes from the factory or dealer.  Elec/hydro factory lift options from the 60s-on.

Super GT still "looks like a GT" just bigger and heavier but similar factory options.  General consensus among the lucky owners which machines qualify in this category.

SCUT starting to "look like a small farm tractor."  Should have a Cat 1 hitch from the factory, usually a "live PTO" that will handle things like a 4' field mower, etc.  Higher pressure hydraulics than a GT can run a loader with no extra pump. 

I don't know everything, just general observations, there are crossovers, like Snapper made a front snow blade for their RER and you could put a tow ball on but they'd wheelie easy and burn up the disc clutch on a hill.  Some Ford YTs have rear flange hubs and big blowers from the factory.  Some people still call a Farmall Cub or 8N a "garden tractor," etc.  The newer big-box stuff just seems to get more flimsy with fewer implement options, weaker transaxles, vertical engines, etc.  hence the "golden age" that many prefer, before parts were made in china from recycled beer cans and you could still fix things yourself with dealer spares...

• Cvans, propane1, MolonLabe and 2 others have said thanks