After offloading it, I pulled the hood, grill and blower housing off. After cleaning out the mouse nest, I was able to get the engine to turn over by hand. I cleaned the carbon off of the piston, block, and head and torqued the head back down. I removed the extension cord wiring harnass, changed the engine oil, spark plug, plug wire, and cleaned the points. The fuel tank looked pretty clean, so I ran a little gas through the fuel line and it flowed fine. I rigged up a battery with a hot wire to the coil and a hot wire to the starter. I had a spare starter from a parts John Deere 110, so I took it apart, cleaned it, and it worked fine on the bench. After installing it on the PK, I touched the hot wire to the battery and the engine cranked over. I connected the hot lead to the coil, pulled the choke, cranked it over, and it fired up. I let it run for a bit, but the remnants of the critters that called the engine home, really stunk! Finally, that all burned off and I took the tractor for a short ride. All gears work, but the transmission bearings are a bit noisy. The clutch works fine and so does the hydraulic lift.
After parking the tractor, I went to drain the transmission and noticed that the cluster gear shaft had backed out of the transmission case some time in the past. When I get some time, I plan on putting bearings in the transmission, and I'll be rebuilding the old Kohler. The tractor came with most of the 3 point hitch, and the snow plow frame. I might as well just keep this tractor together, rather than remove the hydraulics for the other PK. With an overhaul and some paint, it will make a decent PK.
Edited by classic, May 01, 2017 - 01:43 PM.