5 replies to this topic

#1 Billy M ONLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 618 Thanks
  • 533 posts

Posted May 01, 2017 - 10:49 AM

I'm looking at re-ringing a tired KT17 (Series 2) on an Ariens GT17 I have acquired.  The engine runs good, just lots of blow-by and both crank seals are leaking pretty good.  The PO rebuilt the breather hoping that would help.  It didn't. 

I've re-ringed plenty of K series Kohlers.  This is my first KT.  My question is, what gasket kits are you guys using?  I see plenty of less expensive aftermarket kits out there.  Are any of them worth getting or should I stick with OEM?  I've always used OEM on the singles.  The KT gasket kits are quite a bit more though.

#2 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,120 Thanks
  • 2,832 posts

Posted May 01, 2017 - 12:27 PM

I have not bought a gasket set for a KT yet but I have bought after market ones for a k series and wound up getting a factory Kohler gasket set with someone else's packaging right over the top of Kohlers packaging. I have a KT 19 that I may be in the same boat as you, I put a new breather on it altogether and if I can ever get past playing musical starters on it and get one to work more than a few starts I might actually get to run it enough to see if the new breather solved anything.
  • Billy M said thank you

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,143 Thanks
  • 8,870 posts

Posted May 01, 2017 - 02:19 PM

One trick you might use is to add Marvel Mystery Oil to the gas. Running the engine with MMO will coat the insides of the combustion chamber, piston, and valves. Over time the MMO will dissolve carbon build up. The rings that are stuck in the piston ring grooves will be able to expand out the to cylinder wall. Compression should come up and oil consumption should go down. I have done this many times over the last 50 years. It especially worked well in minivans and small block Chevys. In the cars, it took several months to work but it saved me alot of engine repair work. The bodies rotted before I really needed to overhaul the engines. Good Luck, Rick
  • Billy M said thank you

#4 Billy M ONLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 618 Thanks
  • 533 posts

Posted May 01, 2017 - 08:39 PM

Boyscout...if I didn't have to pull the engine to install oil seals on each end, I would try the MMO. By the time I pull & disassemble both ends of the engine to replace the seals, I might as well go ahead and re-ring it while I'm there. That's my thoughts anyway.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#5 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,120 Thanks
  • 2,832 posts

Posted May 02, 2017 - 03:36 PM

I had to put those same seals in my KT 19. I just took the tin off and the flywheel, popped in the new seals and back together it went. I have that machine on the back burner for now, have 3 other ones that are apart and I need to get those back together before I year back in to that one, at least that tractor is all in 1 piece so I know where all of its pieces are.

#6 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,809 Thanks
  • 18,052 posts

Posted May 02, 2017 - 07:35 PM

Genuine kohler gasket set with seals runs $ 133.00 shipped to you