11 replies to this topic

#1 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3766
  • 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted June 14, 2011 - 10:18 AM

i have never done it. i would like to start. what is involved? i have many items i could start selling. im parting out a 582 that was already missing allot of parts and has a blown engine. i also have parts from a poulan/ayp lawn tractor that i could sell. these are not my items but i can sell them for the guy i work for down the street. he said he will give me a fair cut of the sales. the list of stuff i could start selling is endless, tons and tons of lawn and garden tractor parts. how difficult is it to ship the items and how do i calculate shipping costs?

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 14, 2011 - 11:25 AM

Ebay is pretty easy to sell on, just follow the directions when you list an item. I ship almost everything with U.S.P.S. and use flat rate boxes. If you need to ship something bigger, there is a calculator to figure shipping costs. Overall, it's pretty simple. Take good pictures and give really good honest descriptions. GOOD LUCK Selling !!!

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 14, 2011 - 11:27 AM

ebay can be a pain at first if you haven't sold anything for a while or ever before. Be prepared to wait for your money through paypal until the buyer leaves positive feedback. If they don't leave feedback then you have to wait about a month to get your money. The fees from ebay and paypal add up so keep that in mind as well.

#4 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted June 14, 2011 - 12:52 PM

Brian is correct, clean the parts first and make them look good. Take good pictures and give a good detailed description of the part. If you know it will fit other machines list them too.

#5 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1559
  • 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted June 14, 2011 - 06:38 PM

ebay can be a pain at first if you haven't sold anything for a while or ever before. Be prepared to wait for your money through paypal until the buyer leaves positive feedback. If they don't leave feedback then you have to wait about a month to get your money. The fees from ebay and paypal add up so keep that in mind as well.

Just like George said. Be prepared for a long wait for your money. and watch out for the fees. Other than that, good luck and good selling!

Good advice from Brian as well, good pics, and good honest description, also very timely shipping and constant communication with buyer as to ship date, etc. and follow up ask about condition of shipment, and their satisfaction.

#6 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted June 14, 2011 - 06:45 PM

Fees are the big one LOL

Now they have a "final value fee" to go along with the other fees :wallbanging:
The final value fee is around $5 too :(

#7 Gary400 OFFLINE  

Gary400

JD,junkie

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2316
  • 225 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted June 14, 2011 - 07:00 PM

i've never sold anything but i can tell you how to buy lol i too need to start selling on there . i thought i'd start with something small first just to get the feel of things .

#8 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,117 posts

Posted June 14, 2011 - 07:51 PM

As a seller on ebay i can tell you this. The fees are not cheap the charge a fee to list the item and if it sells a final value fee which is based on the selling price with a cap of $100 so if you sell a item for say $100 then the fee would be around $10.00 of that. Then there is a fee for the total price you charge for shipping cost. As for shipping as long as you know the weight and size of package that is easy to put in and it will calculate the cost to ship. Most times you will be right but i have lost money several times for undercharging but that is life.

As to they way you get paid ebay only allows paypal as the way to get paid. you can not put in the listings that a money order or other forms of payment are fine but if they email you and ask then you can say yes. I have seen a few people say that they had to wait for there money from paypal and since i have been selling on there for at least 10 years i can't confirm this. But as soon as i recive a payment i have the money right then and never had to wait unless the costumer did a echeck.
  • dryrun said thank you

#9 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 14, 2011 - 08:03 PM

I also get my money right away when I sell on ebay, as like Bob, been selling/buying several years with 100% positive feedback. Yes, total costs can exceed 15%, but in reality, it's worth it as I would not be able to afford advertising in other ways. You reach so many people on ebay. DO REMEMBER, if you put something up for sale, then add a link in GTT for it, if the item sells, GTT gets a very small commission from the sale. This commission does not cost you the seller a cent.
  • dryrun said thank you

#10 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1559
  • 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted June 14, 2011 - 08:21 PM

Guys, thanks for posting, I learned a lot I did not know!!!

#11 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 14, 2011 - 08:32 PM

The funds holding they do for selling only occurs to new sellers or if you haven't sold anything for 6 months I believe. Once you sell 5 items and you keep selling then they don't hold the money anymore. But if you stop selling for 6 months or more and then go to sell something then your money will get held again. I went through it twice because I don't sell stuff that often.

#12 tankdriver OFFLINE  

tankdriver

• Member No: 3674
  • 2 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted June 15, 2011 - 08:30 PM

I have been selling on eBay since 98. Just as a hobby, mainly WW2 Military stuff. I was a power seller for years. I backed off when the economy went south and no one was making bids on anything. I also get my money right away.

The main thing to remember is to take REALLY good photos, a lot of them. If the photos are bad or so so, people will thing you are trying to hide something. Give a honest description, and answer questions ASAP. Ship packaged well, and ship quickly.