• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 KY hillbilly OFFLINE  

KY hillbilly
  • Member No: 80101
  • 24 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted April 29, 2017 - 07:32 PM

Iv got an 1982 troy bilt horse with a replacement tecumseh 8hp engine.20170313_170744_zpsrx8cxbzs.jpg that the data sticker off the engine.
The problem is I can't seam to make this thing run. When I frist got it it ran like a top so I changed oil a put a new air filter on it and started using it. Frist 30 mins of so of actual use it started missing under load and finally figured out it had trash in the tank that had Ben suck down threw the card. So drained the tank cleaned the card and put new line and filter on it while I was at it.
You would think all good now nope, know the dang thing is flooding it's self to death. So I spend two afternoons fooling with that with no change it would either not get any gas or flood it's self out. So I figure I done with this I found out that I can get a brand new carb on ebay for 15 dollars. New carb come in and it runs great, so I take to the garden frist thing it starts missing under load, then the thing starts sucking oil from what I'm guessing is the crankcase breather. It runs from the valve spring cover to the air intake in front to the carb. Idk what going on with this thing it is the frist tecumseh so is this normal with them to be this big of a pain I'm about ready to find a 8hp briggs or get a hf engine. If anyone can help she'd any light on this I'd appreciate it. The dang tiller works great if I could just get the engine to run.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#2 637Yeoman ONLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 1,543 Thanks
  • 1,249 posts

Posted April 29, 2017 - 07:40 PM

Do you have too much oil?

I would think that all that bumpy soil in the garden would make your oil go into the breather, and get sucked into the carb

I would replace your plug too

and yes, this is normal for techumsehs  :shoot2:  :D

In all seriousness, techumsehs are good motors. Ive put my cast iron one through hell and back and its fine. 

Edited by 637Yeoman, April 29, 2017 - 07:41 PM.

#3 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,882 Thanks
  • 2,491 posts

Posted April 29, 2017 - 07:47 PM

not my typical experience with Tecumsehs.  You had said it flooded all over the place with gas? oil probably overfull and thinned out with gas....

on the original carb (even though you kept saying "card") probably just a bad needle and seat.  could be crushed float if it sat in freezing temps and had any water in the bowl. not a big deal to fix at all,  I don't think I'd want to try one of those $15 EPay carbs, everything I see on them says that OEM parts don't work in them for future service. I wouldnt replace a carb for a $3 needle and seat.... though now a days it seems like every other time I have to redo that at least once, IDK if I have been weeding thru some old stock needles and seats or what....

#4 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,882 Thanks
  • 2,491 posts

Posted April 29, 2017 - 07:48 PM

you don't want that engine? I'll take it.... I would not have an HF engine if I got it for free, sorry.

• jms180 said thank you

#5 KY hillbilly OFFLINE  

KY hillbilly
  • 24 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted April 29, 2017 - 08:34 PM

Sorry about the "card" lol I was in a hurry and me and spell check don't get along lol. I really don't want a hf engine this one is a cast iron sleeve engine and it ran perfect when I frist got it. The dang thing runs perfect nearly all the time as long as it in the yard an not under load. It just I don't seam to be able to win with this thing.
The oil is not over full either I check it several times bc that the only thing that I could think off. I even tock the air cleaner off to see if it was restrictions air flow some how, and causing it to suck oil that way.
This was my trouble with the old carb. the needle was either falling to far down and geting kinda crooked in the carb so it would not come back up and shut the gas off. Or I would bend the float to much and it wouldn't come down enough to let gas in. I didn't seam to be able to find a happy medium. The float looks fine and I left it in vinegar over night with a weight over it so it would be submerged and it had no liquid in it the next day so I'm assuming it good. Side note I use vinegar on small aluminum carbs and brass parts off bigger cast iron carbs.
If the seat can be changed I must have not noticed it bc it looked like it was made into the carb, but I'm not a posed to trying a new kit in the old carb if everyone thinks it would help. Oh and another side note this thing only has to last till I get my cast kolher going that was given to me a few weeks ago. It is rough and will be a long term project though.
  • 637Yeoman said thank you

#6 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,105 Thanks
  • 915 posts

Posted April 29, 2017 - 08:53 PM

I don't know your particular engine but many have a read valve, baffle or screen of some sort on the inside of the valve cover to prevent them from sucking oil through the breather. Don

#7 GardnMastr OFFLINE  

GardnMastr
  • Member No: 85758
  • 293 Thanks
  • 147 posts

Posted April 30, 2017 - 07:56 AM

The pointy end of needle retaining clip to the float should point towards the choke end of the carburetor. Also do not set the float to be "level" when the carb is held upside. It needs to be a little lower than level (towards the main part of the carburetor) for proper operation.

#8 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,882 Thanks
  • 2,491 posts

Posted April 30, 2017 - 08:16 AM

There's a kit available but 95%of the time, Al that is needed is a 631021 needle and seat. Be sure to get OEM tech because I have more issues with aftermarket ones and about the same $3...

#9 KY hillbilly OFFLINE  

KY hillbilly
  • 24 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted April 30, 2017 - 04:58 PM

There's a kit available but 95%of the time, Al that is needed is a 631021 needle and seat. Be sure to get OEM tech because I have more issues with aftermarket ones and about the same $3...

How do you replace the seat it looks to me like it's made into the carb. or should say part of the carb itself.

Edited by KY hillbilly, April 30, 2017 - 07:30 PM.

#10 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Oh, shoot!!!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 11,788 Thanks
  • 8,917 posts

Posted April 30, 2017 - 05:55 PM

Blow it out with compressed air.