4 replies to this topic

#1 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3766
  • 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted June 14, 2011 - 10:11 AM

are these things a real garden tractor or just another mass produced piece of mtd junk? i was at my dealership getting parts for my 124 and i noticed they have a cast iron axle. i always regarded cast iron axles as serous business. who makes the axles for them. is this a case of the rest of the tractor will fall apart around the transaxle?

#2 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted June 14, 2011 - 08:50 PM

2000 series Cub Cadets are no more than glorified lawn tractors. The 3000 series is the only "real" garden tractor they make anymore and even they are not what your 124 is by any means. If you're talking about the front axle they have been putting cast iron axles on many MTD built lawn tractors for years. You could get them on Huskees that Tractor Supply sold at least 8 years ago.

#3 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted June 14, 2011 - 10:46 PM

it had a cast iron transaxle. yeah i know that front cast iron axles are meaningless sales gimicks, but this had a cast iron transaxle. i was not considering purchasing one, i just thought maybe mtd is trying to put SOME quality back into cub cadet that has been lost. will they ever return to the glory days? nope. MTD will never be international harvester.
Series 2000 Garden Tractors

under the drive system section is says heavy duty cast iron transaxle. however when you look under attachments it doesnt appear to have ground engaging capabilities, the true definition of garden tractor. i think it should be illegal to advertise a tractor as a garden tractor if it cannot garden. kinda stupid if you ask me. why was it back in the glory days that nearly every machine sold, unless it was a very small lawn tractor had ground engaging capability and now nearly nothing does. even your little original and john deere 110/112 round fenders powered by little 7 and 8 hp engine had ground engaging capability. now 20 hp lawn tractors cannot do what a small 7 hp garden tractor from the 60's can still do 50 years after its introduction. MTD, if you are listening unless it can handle a tiller or brinly sleeve attachments its lawn or yard tractor.

i love my real GT's and the true strength they have. they have never let me down, weather im mowing 2 acres a week or removing a really bad snowfall. they are true workhorses.

not only do i have my 124 that is undergoing restoration, but i also own a wonderful cub cadet 147 hydro that i love to mow with. cub cadet 147 needs a restoration as well, but it run excellent.

#4 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted June 15, 2011 - 12:14 AM

it also appears that they still produce the 3000 series, well at least its still on their website. i still dont think the 3000 series compares favorably to our IH built machines.

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted June 15, 2011 - 04:25 AM

i still dont think the 3000 series compares favorably to our IH built machines.

You are quite correct on that.