• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Heisenberg OFFLINE  

Heisenberg
  • Member No: 86623
  • 2 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted April 28, 2017 - 11:36 AM

I recently purchased a Milwaukee Fuel string trimmer to replace my gas unit. The gas trimmer had a curved shaft and really killed my back being 6'4". This new Milwaukee has a straight shaft and having never owned a straight shaft I found out they turn in the opposite direction and throw the debris right at my face no matter how I use it. My dad has a straight shaft 2 stroke and he rewound the recoil cord in the opposite direction so it starts the engine in a reverse rotation fixing the debris problem. Since mine is electric, couldn't I just reverse the polarity of the motor to accomplish the same thing? I really don't want to get rid of it, I have just about every tool milwaukee makes so I have enough batteries to run this thing for a solid week if I had to.
  • chieffan and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#2 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,873 Thanks
  • 1,247 posts

Posted April 28, 2017 - 11:46 AM

Never tried that, but it sounds like it should work. I go around the house backwards when I use a straight shaft compared to a bent shaft. I dont own an electric.

• chieffan, 637Yeoman and Bob E have said thanks

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,887 Thanks
  • 29,722 posts

Posted April 28, 2017 - 12:23 PM

Is it a bump head?
If so, you'll have to overcome that issue as well.
  • Gtractor, chieffan and Bob E have said thanks

#4 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 550 Thanks
  • 487 posts

Posted April 28, 2017 - 12:32 PM

It depends on the technology.  If it's a permanent magnet DC motor, yes, you can change the polarity.  If it's a brushless motor, no.  A brushless motor is basically an AC motor with a controller getting DC power.  There will be multiple wires going to a brushless motor from the controller.  You can't reverse the polarity of the power going to the controller.

• Gtractor, MH81, chieffan and 1 other said thanks

#5 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 8,302 Thanks
  • 4,566 posts

Posted April 28, 2017 - 01:09 PM

I second what Billy said.  Some electric motors can be reversed and some can't.

You could always teach yourself to be left handed.  :poke:

#6 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 6,367 Thanks
  • 4,074 posts

Posted April 28, 2017 - 02:02 PM

I have the same issue with my gas 2-stroke Poulon weed eater. I am left handed, so my right hand is on the trigger, and left guides the shaft. The string spins counter-clockwise. Even with the string guard I get hit with small rocks, and am covered in clippings. I a have wondered if there was a model that was made for "lefties"..... I know Ned Flanders may have one. :rolling:   

#7 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,357 Thanks
  • 5,787 posts

Posted April 28, 2017 - 03:17 PM

Any time you use a line trimmer, no mater what brand or which way they turn, your going to get junk threw back at you.  Just part of doing the job.

• Sawdust and Bob E have said thanks

#8 lrhredjb ONLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 465 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted April 28, 2017 - 03:24 PM

The string head may not work right going in the other direction unless you have one of those that uses short lengths of line fixed to the head.

#9 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Oh, shoot!!!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 11,786 Thanks
  • 8,915 posts

Posted April 28, 2017 - 03:34 PM

. I am left handed, so my right hand is on the trigger, and left guides the shaft.

I am right handed and my right hand is on the trigger. Are you folks wearing your face shield to protect you from rocks thrown back?

Edited by LilysDad, April 28, 2017 - 03:35 PM.

• MH81 said thank you

#10 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,367 Thanks
  • 4,074 posts

Posted April 28, 2017 - 03:39 PM

Yes, goggles, and not so much the rocks, but more issue with looking like a Wookie  afterwards.

#11 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 550 Thanks
  • 487 posts

Posted April 28, 2017 - 03:54 PM

Any time you use a line trimmer, no mater what brand or which way they turn, your going to get junk threw back at you.  Just part of doing the job.

I agree.  I don't trim the yard every week. When I do, the grass tends to be a little thicker/taller.  I get pretty covered when I use the weed whacker.  I use mine to trim back a lot of brush as well.  I run the string trimmer head up and down the brush.  It chops the brush up also, so I don't have to rake it up.  I just mow over it and it's taken care of.  My neighbors probably think I'm crazy trimming/shaping brush with a weed whacker, but it saves me a lot of time.  When I do that, I look like the Jolly Green Giant! 

#12 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,367 Thanks
  • 4,074 posts

Posted April 28, 2017 - 08:18 PM

Ohhh, I see another thread.... What do you look like after (Yard work <-- keeping it general), So far a Wookie, and Jolly Green Giant.

I have been bloody after getting dragged under a mesquite tree on a rider I couldn't jump off of quick enough, and looked like Peanuts- Pig Pen after mowing in the 107* heat dormant yard to get rid of the straggling weeds.

Guess I'll live with the weed whacker the way it is.

#13 Heisenberg OFFLINE  

Heisenberg
  • Member No: 86623
  • 2 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted April 28, 2017 - 11:45 PM

I never considered the brushless factor.... It is brushless.... I guess I'll have to get used to getting extra dirty with this one. The difference between the amount of debris thrown straight at you from clockwise to counter clockwise is unreal. I grabbed a handful of throttle in some thick brush right out of the box to test it out and I was immediately covered crap. I looked around the trimmer to see if maybe it had a rotational direction selection like one of their drills. Wishful thinking I guess. Besides the rotation direction this thing is very, very impressive for an electric unit.

#14 lrhredjb ONLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 465 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted May 02, 2017 - 07:04 PM

I have the same issue with my gas 2-stroke Poulon weed eater. I am left handed, so my right hand is on the trigger, and left guides the shaft. The string spins counter-clockwise. Even with the string guard I get hit with small rocks, and am covered in clippings. I a have wondered if there was a model that was made for "lefties"..... I know Ned Flanders may have one. :rolling:   

That's the same way I hold my weedeater and I'm right handed.