• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OldSlowHans OFFLINE  

OldSlowHans
  • Member No: 86629
  • 3 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted April 26, 2017 - 05:59 PM

I have a 23 HP Craftsman tractor (model 917.251561) with hydro drive.

Where do I check fluid in the hydro drive, and if low, what fluid do I use to refill? (I presume that I need to detach the seat/rear fender assay and fuel tank to gain access?)
  • KennyP and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,118 Thanks
  • 44,128 posts

Posted April 26, 2017 - 06:49 PM

:wave: Welcome to the forum. I found an Owners manual and it says the hydro is sealed, no access.

Attached File  917.251561.pdf   4.11MB   24 downloads

• 637Yeoman said thank you

#3 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 933 posts

Posted April 26, 2017 - 08:49 PM

Yep, just supposed to use it until it quits and throw it away.

Having said that, I had a Craftsman lawn tractor with the "no maintenance" transaxle.  When it started to give me some trouble I did some research on the net.  Eventually figured out what the fluid was, replaced it, and got several more years from the tractor.

I don't remember the details of the fluid or how I replaced it.  Not sure I would share it if I did.  Best to leave it alone until it's a problem.

#4 OldSlowHans OFFLINE  

OldSlowHans
  • 3 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted April 26, 2017 - 11:50 PM

I don't remember the details of the fluid or how I replaced it.  Not sure I would share it if I did.  Best to leave it alone until it's a problem.

Well fine, except "it's a problem".  And I'd like to check the fluid level, which I think is the the problem.  (Or I could "leave it alone" and spend a few thousand for a replacement tractor, when all I need is 5 bucks worth of fluid?)

Edited by OldSlowHans, April 26, 2017 - 11:52 PM.

#5 Xrperry ONLINE  

Xrperry
  • Member No: 73285
  • 928 Thanks
  • 709 posts

Posted April 27, 2017 - 12:06 AM

Whoa! Does it look like it has been leaking?.if it's bothering you bore a hole in it, tap it 1/4 npt and fill it up with atf lmao.. BTW nice way to talk to someone trying to help

Edited by Xrperry, April 27, 2017 - 12:15 AM.

#6 old coot OFFLINE  

old coot
  • Member No: 54079
  • 86 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted April 27, 2017 - 09:55 AM

sadly in this throw away world , thats about it...manufacturers know about how long something will last then there is usually no way for the average guy to repair or if it can be repaired , it will cost a fortune . only thing that might be done is to try and find another trans for the machine...around my area there are 2 mower junk yards and finding what I need is usually pretty easy...maybe something around you like that

#7 OldSlowHans OFFLINE  

OldSlowHans
  • 3 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted April 27, 2017 - 11:23 AM

Whoa! Does it look like it has been leaking?.if it's bothering you bore a hole in it, tap it 1/4 npt and fill it up with atf lmao.. BTW nice way to talk to someone trying to help

It's damp (not "wet") so I suspect a slow leak over the years has finally caught up with me.

Regarding "nice way to talk", his attitude of "I might know how to do it, but I might not share with you" struck me as a little over the top.
  • shorty said thank you

#8 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 933 posts

Posted April 27, 2017 - 12:05 PM

You didn't indicate it was malfunctioning, you asked how to check the fluid.  I'm loathe to advise someone to do something to a unit that works fine and end up screwing it up.

#9 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,456 Thanks
  • 2,154 posts

Posted April 27, 2017 - 03:05 PM

There is no dipstick to be able to check level. The fluid in it is 10w40 motor oil and takes 66.7 oz to fill it. There is also a filter on it. What is the problem that makes you think it is low?

#10 OldSlowHans OFFLINE  

OldSlowHans
  • 3 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted April 28, 2017 - 12:17 AM

There is no dipstick to be able to check level. The fluid in it is 10w40 motor oil and takes 66.7 oz to fill it. There is also a filter on it. What is the problem that makes you think it is low?

I see the filter, but haven't removed it to look at the condition.

The tractor is sluggish (good engine speed).  In cold weather it barely moves, in warmer weather it moves better (around 1/2 normal speed).  There is some evidence of slow fluid leakage (pump area has buildup of oily looking dirt, but no "wet" spots.)

#11 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,779 Thanks
  • 4,882 posts

Posted April 28, 2017 - 05:02 AM

I see the filter, but haven't removed it to look at the condition.

The tractor is sluggish (good engine speed). In cold weather it barely moves, in warmer weather it moves better (around 1/2 normal speed). There is some evidence of slow fluid leakage (pump area has buildup of oily looking dirt, but no "wet" spots.)

I think you are correct in thinking it might be low. No clue how to go about it tho.

#12 ejones037 OFFLINE  

ejones037
  • Member No: 79527
  • 21 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted May 16, 2017 - 11:02 PM

If take the left hand rear tire off and look at the trans you will find a Allen head plug just behind the frame rail. Remove it if oil drips out it is full. To top off you add through vent hose until it runs out of removed plug then wait for it to slow. Reinstall plug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk