• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 aftonarrow OFFLINE  

aftonarrow

• Member No: 4388
  • 1 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted April 26, 2017 - 02:06 PM

Hi,I have a kohler cv15s hydro lifters with non adjustable rocker arms.There is no clearance on the exhaust valve and the pushrod is actually keeping the intake valve from sealing.The starter will stop and the motor will backfire out the intake because of the valve staying open.I have the lifters out and going to disassemble,clean and reassemble.To me this is a terrible design of a motor.Im guessing the oil pressure makes it work?How do I set them after a put them back together?I changed my oil from 30w to the Kohler 10w30 oil with Kohler filter.Im already in it with a headgasket.I don't want to bend push rods so if anyone can help me or had a problem like this.Please comment,thanks.

#2 GardnMastr OFFLINE  

GardnMastr
  • Member No: 85758
  • 293 Thanks
  • 147 posts

Posted April 26, 2017 - 02:20 PM

Hundreds of thousands of car engines and thousands of lawn engines are built this way. I would stick the lifter in a press. Push down on them, on the inside, with a wooden dowel, and bleed some of the oil out of them. When you assemble, the adjustment is backed off. Engine oil pressure will pump them up to where they need to be.

#3 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 1,647 Thanks
  • 880 posts

Posted April 26, 2017 - 06:41 PM

I know on motorcycles tappets are generally pre-filled with kerosene before assembly.  I presume it's because kerosene will bleed off easily enough they don't hold valves open on start up.