• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 saleen322 OFFLINE  

saleen322

• Member No: 3625
  • 18 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted June 13, 2011 - 08:34 PM

I just discovered Gravelys a short time ago and now I have 2! I posted some of this on another site also but you folks have been such help, I wanted to share this with you guys also if that is ok. Once again, GT Talk has provided good manuals that are helping me a great deal.

I seen an ad for an 816 Gravely for $250. I bought it by thinking that if nothing else I could use it for parts for my 8171. I noticed that it had a Kohler instead of an Onan but did have a hydraulic lift and a PTO along the right axle. I also noticed that the deck was beat like nothing I had ever seen before. I asked about the Onan engine and was told it had an "Owens" before. Ok, I had to ask, "What happened to the, uh ...Owens?" The response, "It was a 2-cylinder and got put in a go-cart." I was speachless. I pulled the carb, got spark to it and got the K321 Kohler to start. It smoothed right out and showed around 14 volts at the battery. I layed the deck on a piece of railroad track I use as an anvil and reasoned with it for about an hour using a 5-pound hammer. I think it don't look half bad now considering what I started with. I originally thought about parts but I am going to do a low-buck restoration, using as many used parts, things laying around, etc and see how it works and what it looks like while keeping costs to a minimum with the idea of making a good working tractor. Again, thanks for your site and all of the help and I will keep you posted with updates and pictures.
Randy
Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image

#2 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted June 13, 2011 - 09:28 PM

Even without the "owens" engine I think you got a heck of a deal. Even non running and beat up worse than yours they usually sell for more than $250. As you probably already know any of the attachements for the old walk behinds will fit onto this tractor, all you need is the front bracket and pto shaft.

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted June 14, 2011 - 04:46 AM

Good solid looking machine.

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted June 14, 2011 - 06:30 AM

Nice Buy You got a great deal!

Thanks for sharing the pictures

#5 saleen322 OFFLINE  

saleen322

• 18 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted June 26, 2011 - 10:01 PM

I have been messing around with the 816 and it is working out better than expected. I had some old car paint laying around; Viper red and polar white, I will not be able to sneak up on anyone--it is BRIGHT! The hydo lift works better than my 8171 and I ran it thru a small field of mine with grass over a foot high. It worked like a champ. I want to get some decals to make it look better. Just to give you all something to laugh about, I may even try to enter it for tractor of the month for July. I will follow up with some pictures. It is not that good looking but it seems to run well and was cheap.

#6 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted June 27, 2011 - 04:29 AM

Good to hear the Gravely is doing well
Cant wait for some pictures!

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,498 Thanks
  • 39,728 posts

Posted June 27, 2011 - 04:56 AM

I want to see this, too. Viper red, huh? Cool. Post some pics, please!

#8 saleen322 OFFLINE  

saleen322

• 18 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 02:56 PM

As promised, here are some pictures I took today. The Gravely project is coming along and it runs well. The paint was all stuff I had laying around for 10+ years. It was listed as "Viper" Red and Polar White.

Now, as much as I hate to, I will most likely sell a couple of MTDs I have. I am just out of room in the garage :pushmower:
816 Left Rear.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 816 Right-Frt.jpg

Edited by KennyP, April 07, 2012 - 03:54 AM.

• twostep said thank you

#9 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 07:43 PM

That Gravely looks great!

#10 nova ss OFFLINE  

nova ss

• Member No: 1473
  • 8 Thanks
  • 60 posts

Posted April 06, 2012 - 09:29 PM

Looks pretty good , mine will be twice as much $ but have never seen one around here so i guess its a deal!

#11 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted April 06, 2012 - 09:50 PM

Looks very good. The front of the deck did take a real beating. Hard to believe the deck was on the tractor when it happened.
You did a nice job on it.

#12 saleen322 OFFLINE  

saleen322

• 18 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted April 19, 2012 - 06:47 PM

Hey Guys. Well things happen in a year and now my beater 816 with the Kohler is now my main tractor. Posted Image The 8171 with the Onan still runs smooth but it was losing power on the hills. I checked everything and it all looked ok. My next move was a compression test. .......65 and 70 PSI in the cylinders. :confuse: I guess after 35 years it is getting tired. I really need to stay off Craigs list because what do I see, a 816 supposed to be complete but with a bad motor. He defined bad as won't turn over, no fuel and no spark AND when it did run it used 1/2 quart of oil a day. So of course I bought it!! :spanka: I will start a new thread with my two new adventures; the 816 maybe parts machine and I am going to try to overhaul the CCKA Onan.

#13 BcKc OFFLINE  

BcKc

• Member No: 6490
  • 14 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 12:53 PM

Saleen, glad to see the great pics, do you have any of the 816 now that it has been working? I kind of like the color mix of the viper with polar, it has a nice look......FAST!
I almost feel bad for you that you have been bittin by the bug this bad; but it helps keep Gravely's in good homes!

KC

#14 jacottrill OFFLINE  

jacottrill
  • Member No: 27604
  • 4 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted March 03, 2013 - 10:12 AM

I was just looking at your photo's, story, and site.  I too have an 816S but with a 16 hp Briggs.  Bought it used in 1984 and it has been a wonderful machine.  take care of yours, change the oil and trans oil and it will outlive you ! 

#15 saleen322 OFFLINE  

saleen322

• 18 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted April 18, 2013 - 02:09 AM

I was just looking at your photo's, story, and site.  I too have an 816S but with a 16 hp Briggs.  Bought it used in 1984 and it has been a wonderful machine.  take care of yours, change the oil and trans oil and it will outlive you ! 

Thank you.  Sorry I don't get on here that often and that is why it took me so long to respond. Here is a link to the 4 I have running.  I am on the wagon for now.  :D

http://gardentractor...s-gravely-done/