• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bluenoser OFFLINE  

Bluenoser
  • Member No: 82245
  • 85 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted April 23, 2017 - 07:15 PM

So my mf10 has had the Tecumseh removed and replaced with a k241. They wired it with a push button start and a push button kill. I want to switch to a key ignition, to make it safer around the kids, so I'm trying to figure out what to get for a ignition switch. Currently both wires from the start button go direct to the solenoid, the stop has 1 running to ground, and one running to the front of the motor (fuel solenoid?) Electrical isn't my strong point so looking for some help on what to get for a switch. 

wondering if something like this might work for me? 
https://www.princess...tch/A-p8205452e

thanks

#2 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 9,731 Thanks
  • 5,421 posts

Posted April 23, 2017 - 07:58 PM

The push buttons would work with your new motor but now you want to get a key switch..

There are many types of key switches out there..  

You'll need the power feed that went to the Start button to power the switch (B terminal)

When the key is turned to 'Start' you will need the other wire from the 'Start' button that goes to the small terminal on the solenoid hooked to the S terminal on your switch.

Next is the Run circuit.  Being that both motors connect the coil to ground to kill the spark you will take the wire from the stop button and hook the coil side to the R terminal (run)  BE SURE the Run terminal does not have 12V+ VDC ever or it will cause a direct short to the battery.  If it does you have the wrong switch..  

This is the type you need:

Ignition.png

Next up is the new motor's charging system.  Did the old one have one?  It may get complicated from there so we'll just leave it where we are for now..

• Bluenoser said thank you

#3 Bluenoser OFFLINE  

Bluenoser
  • 85 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted April 23, 2017 - 08:03 PM

thanks that's just what I needed to know.

The current setup with the push buttons does work but I worry that the kids will be in near it and hit the button. With the exposed pulleys and belts on the tractor that makes me nervous.

Edited by Bluenoser, April 23, 2017 - 08:10 PM.

#4 Bluenoser OFFLINE  

Bluenoser
  • 85 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted April 23, 2017 - 08:39 PM

The push buttons would work with your new motor but now you want to get a key switch..

There are many types of key switches out there..  

You'll need the power feed that went to the Start button to power the switch (B terminal)

When the key is turned to 'Start' you will need the other wire from the 'Start' button that goes to the small terminal on the solenoid hooked to the S terminal on your switch.

Next is the Run circuit.  Being that both motors connect the coil to ground to kill the spark you will take the wire from the stop button and hook the coil side to the R terminal (run)  BE SURE the Run terminal does not have 12V+ VDC ever or it will cause a direct short to the battery.  If it does you have the wrong switch..  

This is the type you need:

attachicon.gifIgnition.png

Next up is the new motor's charging system.  Did the old one have one?  It may get complicated from there so we'll just leave it where we are for now..

So just based on that wiring schematic, if I grabbed one like this (from a john deere 112), the ground would be run to the A terminal?

430-245.jpg

Edited by Bluenoser, April 23, 2017 - 08:40 PM.

#5 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 9,731 Thanks
  • 5,421 posts

Posted April 24, 2017 - 01:15 AM

Test the switch t be sure.  Get a battery powered test light or continuity tester and test the R terminal to all the other terminals in all key positions (also test them to the key switch housing).  My guess would be the R or M terminals are connected only when the key is off..  If so, hook the wires off your Kill button to those terminals..

#6 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,799 Thanks
  • 6,034 posts

Posted April 24, 2017 - 07:22 AM

There are a lot of different switch configurations out there.  Lot will look the same on the outside with the same terminals.  It is the inside that you don't see that makes the difference.  When testing them with test light it can get real confusing when your working from the back side and changing positions on the key side.  Wrong switch and you will toast the ignition system.  For about $5 you can get key on/off switch and install it in the main power to the start button.  Turn it off, pull the key and home safe and sound.