#16 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8592
  • 3,320 Thanks
  • 906 posts

Posted April 25, 2017 - 07:59 AM

The pump in and out is relatively easy drain all the hydro fluid and the the remove the linkage , pop the pump, Sponsors here have the large o-rings new ,didn't mean to be a wet blanket,and may be all wet in my diagnosis that's why I suggested the Duffs.
Hang in there, maybe keep an eye out for a used pump. There is or was a guy down in South Jersey who sells refurbished pumps send him your pump he allows a certain price towards one of his(core allowance) and he will send you one. I'll try to find his number, you could try a pm to NJ Ken he's not on here much any more, but if he's tied into his email from here he should catch it ,he knows the guy and lives pretty close (I think) and may have contact info .

Yes little ones roaring around makes wrenching impossible , know what your going thru, hoping to steal some time while they nap, then running in every couple minutes to check on them. My daughter could come to the garage set in the corner and play with 1/4" drive socket sets for hours and be content. Now she's eight, barbies and all American dolls have taken over... I lost my best wrench :)
Before you know it your little guy won't be little, those Bolens most likely will still be there and you and he will be elbow deep in them...
I may have a good used pump , I'll start looking.

Edited by WrenchinOnIt, April 25, 2017 - 08:09 AM.

• Bolens 1000, fonz3482, blackjackjakexxix and 3 others have said thanks

#17 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 1,117 Thanks
  • 720 posts

Posted April 25, 2017 - 08:41 AM

The pump in and out is relatively easy drain all the hydro fluid and the the remove the linkage , pop the pump, Sponsors here have the large o-rings new ,didn't mean to be a wet blanket,and may be all wet in my diagnosis that's why I suggested the Duffs.
Hang in there, maybe keep an eye out for a used pump. There is or was a guy down in South Jersey who sells refurbished pumps send him your pump he allows a certain price towards one of his(core allowance) and he will send you one. I'll try to find his number, you could try a pm to NJ Ken he's not on here much any more, but if he's tied into his email from here he should catch it ,he knows the guy and lives pretty close (I think) and may have contact info .

Yes little ones roaring around makes wrenching impossible , know what your going thru, hoping to steal some time while they nap, then running in every couple minutes to check on them. My daughter could come to the garage set in the corner and play with 1/4" drive socket sets for hours and be content. Now she's eight, barbies and all American dolls have taken over... I lost my best wrench :)
Before you know it your little guy won't be little, those Bolens most likely will still be there and you and he will be elbow deep in them...
I may have a good used pump , I'll start looking.

So your saying the actually pump is bad? When the tractor drives the hydro is strong, but the pump itself will pop it out of gear??  I thought you were talking about the shaft that comes out of the side of the trans. was so worn or wobbly that it allows it to pop out of gear? This is what worries me, I have never messed with them and don't even know what parts your describing. I should probably download a manual and parts sheet so I can learn. I am mechanically inclined so I'm not scared to tackle a project like this, but I'm also smart and know if I have my little guy that I'll be running after him every minute. My house and garage doesn't sit too far off the road, so I'm afraid to take my eyes off of him. He scared me the other day when I was trying to assemble his power wheel. I saw him run out of the garage door and I told him to stop as I put the directions down and the wrench in my hand at the same time I telling him to STOP. Of course he didn't so I ran out the door and I didn't see him anywhere. I started running towards the road thinking there was no way he could of got that far in a few seconds but I was freaking because I thought he'd be out in the road and I heard a car in the distance.  I got out front of my front garage and he wasn't there, I went back towards the back garage and he had ducked into the side door of my front garage and was in between tractors "checking the tires". Scared the CRAP out of me, Worst 30 seconds ever!!  I shut the doors and we went in the house! So a project like this would have to be a weekend project when my son is staying at grandma's so I can work straight through on the repair. I know it wouldn't be smart to tear it down and work on it for an extended period because I would forget how certain detailed things went back together.  If you come across the pump, let me know. I thank you for your help, It's just crappy that the PO did this to me. I guess I shouldn't be so trusting.

• blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#18 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,320 Thanks
  • 906 posts

Posted April 25, 2017 - 09:20 AM

No not suggesting your pump is bad, I do believe it's the control shaft as it engages internally, sorry I was vague, my thoughts were it's quicker and easier to replace the whole pump perhaps not as cost effective thou, less time consuming and back in motion in a couple hours.
I figure if I'm going thru the trouble of the change I'd like a refurbished pump and then I know I'm worry free ,but again at a cost. Sometimes I go overboard on these things
Hands on with the manual (I think its available for download over at MTF if you're a member) some guidance and perhaps parts from the Duffs and no doubt you will be all set.
  • Bolens 1000, blackjackjakexxix and Newpaws493 have said thanks

#19 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 1,117 Thanks
  • 720 posts

Posted April 25, 2017 - 12:35 PM

well after being totally bummed and down in the dumps about the 1250 I decided to put the battery in and drive it around with the fenders off so I could watch it jump out of gear. So I fire it up put it in gear and go in reverse. Notice the deck is down and raise the deck all the way. As soon as the deck came all the way up the gear selector flipped into nuetral and wouldn't move forward. So I noticed the hydraulic cylinder was attached to the gear selector shaft, so I zero in on that shaft because I thought maybe it was rusted and when I move the hydraulic lift it intern moves the lever into neutral. So I let the deck down and I'm watching that while I raise the deck about halfway. I noticed when the deck comes up it isn't that and they are both moving separately. So at this point it's still in gear, and I decided to just back it out of the garage and see what it does. I get backed up a bit and the deck wheel was gonna hit my tools on the floor, so I raised the deck all the way to clear my tools and there goes the selector into neutral. Sooooooo after that I then found the culprit of my problems that put me in a foul mood for the last day. When the deck is brought all the way up until it fully stops the gear box hits the shaft, pops it into neutral and then because the gear box is jammed against the gear selector shaft that is why I can't put it back into drive. So now I'm back in the game!!! I'm guessing that the deck is supposed to have stoppers somewhere and they are either worn or missing?? After I figured out the issue several things clicked in my head that I didn't put together. When I went to unload it off the trailer I noticed that with the deck all the way up the mower deck wheels contact the rear tires and if I slightly lowered the deck they cleared. At that time I didn't think anything of it, but now I know the deck is going to high. Also when the tractor popped out of gear each time I had raised the deck all the way. Once to bring it off the trailer, once when I pulled up into my lawn, and the last time was one I came out of the grass into the driveway to take my son for a ride. Sorry for the long explanation but It all makes sense now! I'm hoping the trans holds together now, I'll figure out the stoppers for the deck, and basically move forward to make the machine better and nicer!! Thanks to all that helped! I'll keep everyone updated and hopefully be mowing with it soon!

Edited by fonz3482, April 25, 2017 - 04:40 PM.

• Bolens 1000, blackjackjakexxix, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#20 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,355 Thanks
  • 1,804 posts

Posted April 25, 2017 - 05:26 PM

Hang in there ! :thumbs:

#21 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,320 Thanks
  • 906 posts

Posted April 25, 2017 - 05:33 PM

Well I was getting ready to tell you to jack the rear end up and run it in reverse and see what happens,but no need, so there you go. Good job! Way to get after it. Glad it was something simple.

#22 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 1,117 Thanks
  • 720 posts

Posted April 26, 2017 - 05:21 AM

Well I was getting ready to tell you to jack the rear end up and run it in reverse and see what happens,but no need, so there you go. Good job! Way to get after it. Glad it was something simple.

Thanks for your help and the words of encouragement. I was feeling down in the dumps after I unloaded the tractor and had the issue. I guess I'm getting kinda sick of buying these machines, struggling with finding the time to do the basics to get them running and then once they run having several other unforeseen issues and having to tuck them away until I have more free time to fix them. It also doesn't help that my wife kinda puts up with my hobby and I go buy these tractors, spend money on them to get them running and then they never leave the garage so she see's it as a waste of time and money. So,  After the 1250 was popping out of gear I told myself I should just stop buying these tractors and wait until I have the time to fix the ones I have and the ones I buy! Sounds like a smart plan right?? Not when you have the Bolens Bug! If it's something that is harder to find in my area, or a good deal with the Bolens Logo on it I gotta have it! So that will never work! I'm glad the 1250 is now moving in the right direction. With a few more parts today from Brian and some nap time for my son will hopefully = tractor time for dad!

• Bolens 1000, blackjackjakexxix and KennyP have said thanks

#23 firedudetl1 ONLINE  

firedudetl1
  • Member No: 85281
  • 44 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted April 26, 2017 - 06:53 AM

any trade schools/tech schools near by that do transmission work and might be interested in a "project"? might be worth checking with them and see if they're interested in doing a rebuild on an antique as a challenge

good luck with it

#24 firedudetl1 ONLINE  

firedudetl1
  • Member No: 85281
  • 44 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted April 26, 2017 - 06:58 AM

didn't read the rest of the post - sounds like your luck "turned" 

#25 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 1,117 Thanks
  • 720 posts

Posted April 26, 2017 - 07:51 AM

didn't read the rest of the post - sounds like your luck "turned" 

Yea my luck has turned around at this point. I hope it continues in that direction! I'd like to take some slop out of the linkages, change the spark plug and oil, replace some grease fittings on the deck spindles that wont take grease and Hoping to have the 1250 mowing today or tomorrow. Most likely tomorrow but thunderstorms are in the forecast! :wallbanging:

#26 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,355 Thanks
  • 1,804 posts

Posted April 26, 2017 - 08:37 AM

Still wet around here from yesterdays soaker, the gardens seams happy for it though...might be good play day for you and lil one. can tell him of mythical and wonderous Bolens Happy endings :D

• Bolens800uk said thank you

#27 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 1,117 Thanks
  • 720 posts

Posted April 27, 2017 - 03:56 AM

Well I had very little time out in the garage yesterday. 1st thing I did was reroute the fuel lines from the tank to the fuel pump and from the pump to the carb. I also installed a fuel filter. I'm not to crazy about how close the fuel line and filter are to the exhaust but the exhaust is kinda shot, so I may redo it and leave the fuel line alone. I then changed the spark plug out, and the grease fittings on the mower deck spindles. I still can't get 1 spindle to take grease. I can take a thin screw driver and it will go all the way down inside the spindle with the fitting off, but once I have the fitting on I can get maybe 1 pump in the fitting and then the grease gun has so much pressure against it I can't pump any grease. Pop the gun off the grease fitting and the grease comes out on the outside. So I may wait, run the deck to get the bearings warm and see if I can put grease in then, if not I'm guessing the spindle needs to come apart?? Then I fired the tractor up and did some more tuning on the carb. It was all going well and I went to move the throttle from idle to full throttle and when I pulled the throttle cable the end of the cable came right off in my hand. SO, a few steps forward and one step back I guess. Luckily I have a new throttle cable and I'll have to see if it will work on the 1250. Thanks to Bolens1000 for getting me parts quickly and especially for the throttle cable! I'm hoping to be mowing with the 1250 Saturday!

• Bolens 1000, blackjackjakexxix and Newpaws493 have said thanks

#28 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 6,954 Thanks
  • 2,237 posts

Posted April 27, 2017 - 08:51 PM

I still can't get 1 spindle to take grease. I can take a thin screw driver and it will go all the way down inside the spindle with the fitting off, but once I have the fitting on I can get maybe 1 pump in the fitting and then the grease gun has so much pressure against it I can't pump any grease. Pop the gun off the grease fitting and the grease comes out on the outside.

If I read your post correctly you replaced the spindle grease fittings with new ones.  You could try one of the other fittings in the spindle that won't take grease and see if it works - wouldn't be the first time a new grease fitting would not pass grease - just a suggestion before you rip the deck apart over a bad fitting.

• fonz3482 said thank you

#29 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 1,117 Thanks
  • 720 posts

Posted April 28, 2017 - 02:37 AM

If I read your post correctly you replaced the spindle grease fittings with new ones.  You could try one of the other fittings in the spindle that won't take grease and see if it works - wouldn't be the first time a new grease fitting would not pass grease - just a suggestion before you rip the deck apart over a bad fitting.

Yea, I'll give it a shot but its doing the same thing the old fitting did so I'm thinking the grease hole or holes in that spindle are clogged. I'll switch it with a known good fitting because that only takes a few minutes and if it still doesn't take grease I'll run it and get it hot and see if whatever is in there loosens up. If it doesn't I have a feeling the holes are rusted up of jammed with dirt or something. But 1st thing is the throttle cable. Grass is getting TALL I need to have this thing mowing asap or move on and just get my Massey sub compact ready for mowing. I wanted to gear the Massey up for digging with the FEL and weight box on the rear, but it maybe getting the deck put on if the old Bolens can't make the cut in the next few days!