28 replies to this topic

#1 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 1,183 Thanks
  • 743 posts

Posted April 23, 2017 - 05:59 PM

Hey everyone, I got the 1250 running, although it isn't running that well I was able to back it off the trailer and drive it around. When I backed it off the trailer it popped out of drive and into neutral and I couldn't get it back into drive gear. I shut it off and tilted the trailer down and put my straps away fired it back up and I got it in gear, made a few circles in the yard and went down into the driveway and it popped out again. I'm hoping it's not something major. Anyone have this happen? Anyone know what I can do? Thanks in advance for any help!
  • Bolens 1000 and 29 Chev have said thanks

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,612 Thanks
  • 17,951 posts

Posted April 23, 2017 - 06:07 PM

Glad you got the motor running!

I'm no help on the trans issue, never had my hands in an eaton before!

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 1,183 Thanks
  • 743 posts

Posted April 23, 2017 - 06:26 PM

Glad you got the motor running!
I'm no help on the trans issue, never had my hands in an eaton before!

It's running but I it's not quite right. Wants to die, won't stay running at a steady throttle. The guy had the carb adjusted way out of wack and I'm not sure I have it set right. Oh, and the special fan attachment to cool the engine works great. Lol!
  • Bolens 1000 said thank you

#4 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,224 Thanks
  • 2,907 posts

Posted April 23, 2017 - 06:31 PM

Seat pan might be loose or bent a bit if someone rear ended something like a tree. The seat pan on my old beat up 1250 was bent a bit and missing all but 2 of the bolts. I had to take them off to straighten it out but all the bolt holes were more like slots from the bolts being loose for a long time. Had to use some fairly big flat washers to tighten it down so it wouldn't move. 

Edit: Not seat pan I meant fender pan lol

Edited by EricFromPa, April 23, 2017 - 11:37 PM.

• Newpaws493 and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#5 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 1,183 Thanks
  • 743 posts

Posted April 23, 2017 - 06:36 PM

Maybe it could be that. It doesn't grind and when it does drive it's strong. It feels like it will pop a wheelie if I floored it, lol.

#6 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,837 Thanks
  • 5,511 posts

Posted April 23, 2017 - 06:47 PM

I take the seat pan off and see if anything is lose or unhooked.   

#7 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 1,183 Thanks
  • 743 posts

Posted April 23, 2017 - 06:50 PM

Yea I should start there. When it won't go in I can push on it really hard and I just can't get it to go in. Rocking the machine doesn't help either. If I do push really hard forward and hold it forward I can hit the pedal and the tractor will move, but as soon as I let the pressure off it's back in neutral

#8 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,362 Thanks
  • 1,808 posts

Posted April 23, 2017 - 08:07 PM

Seat pan might be loose or bent a bit if someone rear ended something like a tree. The seat pan on my old beat up 1250 was bent a bit and missing all but 2 of the bolts. I had to take them off to straighten it out but all the bolt holes were more like slots from the bolts being loose for a long time. Had to use some fairly big flat washers to tighten it down so it wouldn't move. 

When I read seat pan, I went blank..not a clue til looked at pics, Thanks (going back to learning now)

#9 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,224 Thanks
  • 2,907 posts

Posted April 23, 2017 - 11:39 PM

Fender pan sorry about that was in a hurry and wasn't thinking lol

#10 blackjackjakexxix OFFLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Member No: 2194
  • 2,777 Thanks
  • 2,024 posts

Posted April 24, 2017 - 07:26 AM

I agree,I would pull the fender pan off,take a look for anything lose or bent,might need some lubing up at the linkages

#11 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 1,183 Thanks
  • 743 posts

Posted April 24, 2017 - 08:00 AM

Thanks Guys, I'm hoping its something simple!! I have to take that JD seat off anyway so I'll just continue on a little farther and pull the fender off.  Heck that seat may even be the issue, it's making the reliable beast of a Bolens LF act like a Deere. :poke: Anyways, I'm hoping to get some garage time in the next few days to figure it out! I'll update everyone with my findings and hopefully be cutting grass with it by then! 

• Bolens 1000, Newpaws493, Rock farmer and 1 other said thanks

#12 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8592
  • 3,466 Thanks
  • 940 posts

Posted April 24, 2017 - 08:15 PM

Your linkage looks okay on your video, my concern is the actuator rod inside the housing that pops the slipper ring for and aft is worn, I had the same issue ( almost pretty sure, memory...) on an 1886, I swapped the pump, then tore into the ailing one and that's what I found, I still have the pump probably can dig it out and show you pictorial, however I suggest you get in contact with the Duffs down Carolina way
MrDad@aol.com me thinks but not sure , several guys know them, parts pieces and a ton of Eaton knowledge Rick Show (blackjackjake) knows them pretty well I'll get him to chime in on contact info.
  • Bolens 1000 and blackjackjakexxix have said thanks

#13 SgtMoonracer OFFLINE  

SgtMoonracer
  • Member No: 74500
  • 61 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted April 24, 2017 - 08:53 PM

I think it's:

mrdadsr@aol.com

I corresponded with him about tube frame stuff.

• WrenchinOnIt said thank you

#14 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 1,183 Thanks
  • 743 posts

Posted April 25, 2017 - 03:40 AM

Your linkage looks okay on your video, my concern is the actuator rod inside the housing that pops the slipper ring for and aft is worn, I had the same issue ( almost pretty sure, memory...) on an 1886, I swapped the pump, then tore into the ailing one and that's what I found, I still have the pump probably can dig it out and show you pictorial, however I suggest you get in contact with the Duffs down Carolina way
MrDad@aol.com me thinks but not sure , several guys know them, parts pieces and a ton of Eaton knowledge Rick Show (blackjackjake) knows them pretty well I'll get him to chime in on contact info.

Well this is sounding like a not so easy fix anymore!?!??? :(  It sounds like something that is going to be very time consuming and probably money consuming also. :wallbanging:  The bottom line is I don't have much time or a lot of money floating around to spend on this thing at the moment. I can't seem to catch a break with these tractors. You see and hear of all these guys pulling Bolens out of barns, sheds, garages and fields for free or for practically nothing that have sat out forever.  They clean the carb, the points, change fuel line(basic items needed from sitting) and they fire up. They fine tune the engine and away they go working them hard.  I bought this tractor after talking to Brian. I'm not blaming Brian in anyway, but I knew about this 1250 for a while and I've been going back and forth on whether to buy it or not because the PO told me it was low on compression. He also stated the hydro trans and hydraulic lift worked great but the fuel pump needed to be replaced because it was bad. He said it did run, but had a low compression reading. The PO stated he had no real source for Wisconsin parts and he was sick of  chasing parts for weeks every time he needed something.  I figured I had no time for another big project, and I didn't want to have a dead large frame in my packed garage to have to push on carts and move around by hand until I could rebuild the motor. Well Brian stopped by to get the 56' ride a matic and I told him about the 1250. He informed me that you can't check compression on that motor because the motor has decompression on it. So then I had tractor money in hand from selling the 56' and I decided to take a ride to look at the 1250. The PO fired it up off an aux. fuel source and his story was all lining up with the bad fuel pump, and no source for parts(he lived in the middle of no where, no close towns, my cell phone didn't even have service) so I decided to load it up because I figured the motor was fine.   I wanted to drive it on the trailer but my dad was with me for the ride and he said "there are 3 of us, we will just push it on." so I shut the tractor off, put it in neutral and we pushed it on. I got it home and got a fuel pump and fuel line the next day from Brian. The tractor turned over and started up and I was super excited! :beer: I greased all the fittings I could find, and went to give it a test run, and that is when I found the popping out of gear issue.  This is a total bummer! :mad2: I have never messed with a hydro trans and I don't know anything about them. I really have no idea what your describing to me that is worn out and that is why I'm kinda scared to tear into something that complex. I know it's a bad idea to with my current situation at home because my wife is gone 7 days a week working or at college and I have my 2yr old to chase. I wouldn't trade the little guy in for anything but He is a handful as Brian has seen and I can't concentrate or stay focused on something with him on the loose. I also don't really have the funds or know if it be worth to just pay someone to fix it, so I guess someday I'll find a trans, or have the time to tear it apart and learn about them. But for now it will have to sit around with the rest of the projects and hopefully my new fuel pump and fresh carb doesn't get all screwed up again from sitting. Sorry guys, I'm done whining for today! :ah_shoot:

Edited by fonz3482, April 25, 2017 - 06:21 AM.

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#15 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,612 Thanks
  • 17,951 posts

Posted April 25, 2017 - 06:10 AM