• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Firemang OFFLINE  

Firemang
  • Member No: 35312
  • 174 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted April 23, 2017 - 12:42 PM

I have a DR walk behind brush cutter with a 13 hp Briggs and Stratton Intek, single cylinder vertical shaft engine, that's in the 210000 model family. I'll give ya the backstory and then tell me what you think my issue is.

I'm the 3rd owner of the mower, and I bought it from a guy in 2014. It's always been a strong runner, never had any issues. Always done all the recommended maintenance that the manual says to do, etc. I store it outside under a tarp, as I'm slowly but surely getting a barn finished to store it in, but hasn't been a problem, always seemed to weather the winter ok. Oregon this year has been extremely wet and cold, wettest winter I've ever seen by far in my 39 years here.

I went to fire it up for the first time this year to pull it into my garage to do the yearly service on it. It wouldn't start, just clicked. So I figured, no big deal, battery just needs a charge. Once I got it in, I noticed that the outside of the block, head, etc had a lot of that white corrosion on it, more than I remember in years past of storing it outside. Changed the filters, oil, spark plug, drained the fuel tank, new fuel line and fuel filter, greased all the cables, etc. Charged the battery up to 100%, put it back in, hit the key and again just a click.

Ok now I'm getting worried. Took off the shroud and noticed the starter was sticking a bit, so I tapped on it with a soft face hammer, hit the key again and it engaged the flywheel, but then I see the flywheel isn't moving, like the crankshaft is stuck. So I lightly tapped on the head and the block and slowly/gently moved the flywheel back and forth and got it to come free. Put new fuel in and it started right up. The throttle isn't incremental, it only has 3 setting, choke, run, and idle. It ran well for about ten seconds, but when I moved it to run it started to run really roug, wouldn't make full power. When I moved it to idle it wanted to cut out. It was blowing some black smoke out of the exhaust, not a ton but enough that you certainly noticed it.

So not wanting to tear the whole thing apart, my question is does this sound like a carburetor issue, i.e. Float messed up, too much fuel getting into the cylinder etc and not burning all the way (I checked the plug and it is gapped correctly) or are my rings shot on the piston? Or is there something I'm missing here, not sure what else it could be. Any advice helps, thanks.

#2 jms180 OFFLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 1,355 Thanks
  • 1,497 posts

Posted April 23, 2017 - 12:54 PM

first make sure the choke and throttle plates are working, opening and closing as they should. If the combination of air and fuel are not correct it will puff smoke.

• chris m, boyscout862 and Firemang have said thanks

#3 Firemang OFFLINE  

Firemang
  • Member No: 35312
  • 174 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted April 24, 2017 - 10:53 PM

Figured out the issue, the choke plate somehow got disconnected from the throttle linkage. I believe there's a little spring that's supposed to be there that snaps the choke back open once you move the throttle to run. Played with the linkage a little more and realized it wasn't opening back up as it should.