• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 hiltu OFFLINE  

hiltu
  • Member No: 86259
  • 17 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted April 23, 2017 - 09:01 AM

Had my engine and carb rebuilt. Tubeframes.com did the rebuild which included test running it. I finally hooked it up to my engine and it will only run with the choke at 3/4 or more. I've played around with the adjustment screws but now I can only get it to run on starter fluid. I checked for leaks and fuel delivery already. Can't find any solid info on this specific carb for adjustments, PLEASE HELP.

#2 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 7,482 Thanks
  • 2,459 posts

Posted April 23, 2017 - 09:12 AM

I believe the 1256 should have a Wisconsin TRA12D if original - here is the carb settings page from the Tube Frame Service Manual

Attached Files

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,809 Thanks
  • 18,054 posts

Posted April 23, 2017 - 09:42 AM

Initial settings on the screws are 1-1/2 turns out, that should get any engine atleast running without starting fluid

Assuming the carb was actually properly gone through I would suspect other issues if your experiencing problems

#4 hiltu OFFLINE  

hiltu
  • 17 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted April 23, 2017 - 04:52 PM

Thanks guys, I think I got it. Before my rebuild I was told it was running lean and the spark plug appeared gray/white. Just to be sure, now the plug looks dark and I get a bit of grayish/white smoke at startup and the first time I put it to full throttle. Is this a sign of being too rich? Do I just turn in a bit on the main jet needle valve? Now that she is running, I'm getting an oily mist/ smoke from the tappet cover. There is obviously a vent line and it has like a 4" piece of tubing that just dumps straight toward the front of the engine. Not quite sure what right should look like for this but its a considerable amount of oil that emits from it. 

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,809 Thanks
  • 18,054 posts

Posted April 23, 2017 - 06:05 PM

Sounds like the breather reed may be faulty or have some dirt in it, when the motor is running hold the end of the tube cutting off the air for a about 10 seconds , then see if the problem is solved.

Full instructions how to do this are in the Wisconsin repair manual on this site.

Black smoke indicates too rich, white/ blueish smoke is oil burning

• Newpaws493 and hiltu have said thanks

#6 hiltu OFFLINE  

hiltu
  • 17 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted April 24, 2017 - 07:02 AM

Ill look into that, thanks Bolens 1000. I notice that a continuous stream of air is being pushed out the tube while the engine is running. I bought a new breather reed for it, hope its something simple.

#7 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,809 Thanks
  • 18,054 posts

Posted April 24, 2017 - 07:30 AM

Ill look into that, thanks Bolens 1000. I notice that a continuous stream of air is being pushed out the tube while the engine is running. I bought a new breather reed for it, hope its something simple.

The breather is supposed to blow air out when running, just not supposed to blow out oil.

The tube from the engine routes to the hole in the air cleaner elbow

• hiltu said thank you

#8 hiltu OFFLINE  

hiltu
  • 17 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted April 24, 2017 - 10:22 AM

I just noticed the hole in the air cleaner tube and I put it there. The reed was being held slightly open with debris. I cleaned it out and it looks like old gasket pieces possibly. None the less that was the culprit and she is running better. 

• Bolens 1000 said thank you