• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 bobross419 OFFLINE  

bobross419
  • Member No: 86568
  • 4 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted April 22, 2017 - 08:40 PM

Wonderful forum ya'll have here.  I've been reading through some posts trying to get a handle on things.  I'm new to lawn tractors having recently inherited a non-running Toro 935.  She's gorgeous though and should be a great little project for me.

I've been having trouble finding any manuals for the 935.  Partstree has some really good part diagrams that I plan to use for reference.  None of my forum searches turned up any results, but I see that there is a lot of Wheel Horse info as well.  Is there a WH model that corresponds to the 935?  Maybe there is more information on something similar enough.

It has a 10hp Tecumseh on it that I don't believe was original.  I haven't been very successful in finding info about this specific engine either.  Anyone able to point me in the right direction there?

Attached Thumbnails

• Image uploaded from iOS (4).jpg
  • Image uploaded from iOS (3).jpg
  • Image uploaded from iOS (2).jpg
  • Image uploaded from iOS (1).jpg
  • Image uploaded from iOS.jpg

• Traill95 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 9,106 Thanks
  • 6,220 posts

Posted April 22, 2017 - 10:32 PM

Check out home page, select the manuals tab.  Your Toro would be listed under the Wheel Hores listings.  A manual for your Tecumseh should be under those engine manuals.  Good luck finding what you need.  Not to bad a looking tractors.  I have got hold of some that were a lot worse off and they came to life.

Edited by chieffan, April 22, 2017 - 10:35 PM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,140 Thanks
  • 8,870 posts

Posted April 22, 2017 - 10:38 PM

Welcome to GTT. Our Manuals Section is a great resource for knowledge. When you have technical questions, post them with clear pics. We are all in this together. Good Luck, Rick

#4 MolonLabe OFFLINE  

MolonLabe

Rust Wrangler

• Member No: 59683
  • 551 Thanks
  • 319 posts

Posted April 22, 2017 - 11:44 PM

"Is there a WH model that corresponds to the 935?  Maybe there is more information on something similar enough."

Welcome to GTT. Unfortunately, your Toro 935 was made over 25 years before Toro acquired Wheel Horse making Wheel Horse manuals useless for your particular tractor. It certainly looks like a nice project and I am sure you will be able to find help here if you run into a problem.

#5 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 540 Thanks
  • 494 posts

Posted April 23, 2017 - 02:57 AM

You may already have this

http://www.wheelhors...iring-specspdf/

Garry

#6 bobross419 OFFLINE  

bobross419
  • 4 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted April 23, 2017 - 04:11 PM

Thanks for the quick replies.

Garry, I hadn't found that manual, but that is exactly what I was looking for.  Thank you very much!

I was able to find the model number on the engine - TVXL220 - and tracked down the manual for that as well.

You can see the hack job that was done on the engine cover to wedge it in there.

Can the drivetrain on this handle the 10hp engine if it was 7hp standard?  There was oil leaking out of the rear axle when it was sitting there.  Do most folks rebuild or replace these units?

#7 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 540 Thanks
  • 494 posts

Posted April 25, 2017 - 06:46 AM

Uses a Peerless model 615 3-speed but know nothing about them.

http://www.wheelhors...1-02-691218pdf/

Garry

#8 bobross419 OFFLINE  

bobross419
  • 4 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted April 25, 2017 - 11:20 AM

Thanks again for your help, it's been invaluable!

#9 bobross419 OFFLINE  

bobross419
  • 4 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted June 02, 2017 - 06:02 AM

Thanks to ya'll's help, I've been able to make some good progress on this machine.

It's been slow going with only about 1 evening a week I can devote to teardown, but I was finally able to get the motor and fenders pulled last night.  I'm sure my wife is starting to get annoyed with me when my answer to "What are you thinking about?" is more and more often, "Tractor things".

Outside of the manuals, it's been difficult finding info on old Toros.  Seems they aren't as common as Wheel Horse, but after reading through most of the threads in this forum I got really excited to see a WH in someone's yard last week.  Poor wife didn't appreciate me slamming on the brakes to rubberneck that one.

Attached a few pics of the current state of affairs.  I'm planning to pull the dash and steering column, then put the steering column back on so I can push it outside for a pressure wash (Thanks to the wife for letting me buy one "for the house" ).  Next will be flipping it over to tag and bag the drive train and running gear.

I used Fedex's online print shop to print out the tractor, engine, and trans manuals.  Printed, collated, holed, and bindered all three for $70.  Had to call back due to inaccuracies on first delivery, but final products were great.  Having done this stuff myself in the past, I think the price was worth the reduced hassle of gathering supplies, hole punching, etc.  Have to make it Black and White though, they charge way too much for color print.  There is some dispute about shipping costs too.  I didn't see anything on the website about separate shipping costs when I ordered, and we haven't gotten a clear answer if the bill was for the initial order or the second set.  In either case their CS hasn't been too terrible (this time).

Attached Thumbnails

• Image uploaded from iOS (12).jpg
  • Image uploaded from iOS (11).jpg
  • Image uploaded from iOS (10).jpg
  • Image uploaded from iOS (7).jpg
  • Image uploaded from iOS (6).jpg
  • Image uploaded from iOS (13).jpg

Edited by bobross419, June 02, 2017 - 06:03 AM.

#10 bobross419 OFFLINE  

bobross419
  • 4 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted June 02, 2017 - 06:09 AM

Anyone know what material the hood and emblem are made of?

Figuring the hood will need to have the roughness cleaned then fill with bondo.

Emblem looks like I can carefully reglue.  

Attached Thumbnails

• Image uploaded from iOS (8).jpg
  • Image uploaded from iOS (9).jpg

• KennyP said thank you

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 36,364 Thanks
  • 44,909 posts

Posted June 02, 2017 - 06:41 AM

Looks like fiberglass to me.

• bobross419 said thank you

#12 bobross419 OFFLINE  

bobross419
  • 4 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted June 10, 2017 - 08:17 PM

Thanks, this will be the first time I've ever had to deal with fiberglass.  Looks like only minimal damage to the threads at the front, but there are a few other places I'm going to need to repair.  I don't think I'll need to deal with laying new fiber. 

Pinion gear was blown out (see pic).  Not sure how it stayed in there, but it fell apart as soon as I pulled the steering column.  Looks like replacements are available though, so no biggy there.

Anyone know what the bolts in the ends of the drag link called?  I've never seen anything like that before.  I don't want to tear things apart without better understanding it.  Looks like the ring can be spread though.  

Do I use a press on the bushing in the steering wheel?  I'll also need to press out the spindles and rebuild the transmission, would a 6T press be sufficient?  Half the cost of the 10T, and I'm not sure I'd do enough pressing to justify the cost there vs. finding someone to do it.

Attached Thumbnails

• Image uploaded from iOS (20).jpg
  • Image uploaded from iOS (19).jpg
  • Image uploaded from iOS (18).jpg
  • Image uploaded from iOS (17).jpg

Edited by bobross419, June 10, 2017 - 08:19 PM.

#13 bobross419 OFFLINE  

bobross419
  • 4 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted June 20, 2017 - 06:03 AM

Removing a steering wheel: 
http://gardentractor...steering-wheel/

Found a post about getting those end links out, but it didn't have any useful info.  Will continue scouring, but likely popping a new topic in the mechanical forum to poll the brain trust.  ( EDIT: http://gardentractor...d-link-removal/ )

Also, looks like a 6T might be just a bit too weak for day to day.  The 10T+ is the way to go; unfortunately, I don't have a HF close and shipping costs kill the savings.

Edited by bobross419, June 21, 2017 - 10:26 PM.