7 replies to this topic

#1 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 1,550 Thanks
  • 1,254 posts

Posted April 22, 2017 - 01:30 PM

Well, im sure many of you have seen my 1973 Jonh Deere 70 puller.

Well, i was pulling around 2000 pounds on a stone boat in my backyard.

I was in second gear, around half throttle

No problem with power, couldnt even tell it was back there.

Now here's where things get weird.

It was doing a wheelie, and fell right on its face.

It made a sound, something like a blow off valve on a turbo, and lost all of its power.

I thought i blew a head gasket, i was wrong.

It started up again fine, and was running with full power like normal.

Everything was fine, but my question to you is, why would it do that?

My only guess, since it wasnt the head gasket, is a valve got stuck open? 

Till them, keep 'em cranking

Thanks, Luke

#2 polarisdiesel OFFLINE  

polarisdiesel
  • Member No: 81814
  • 7 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted April 22, 2017 - 01:34 PM

You think maybe it sucked some air in the fuel lines, or a valve getting stuck. Kinda weird it just happened to happen right then though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 637Yeoman said thank you

#3 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • 1,550 Thanks
  • 1,254 posts

Posted April 22, 2017 - 01:42 PM

Thats always a possibility, but im not sure how if would have, it had a full gas tank, so it couldnt get air through there, my best guess is the valve, but its never done that either 

#4 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Validating
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,689 Thanks
  • 1,148 posts

Posted April 22, 2017 - 02:45 PM

Doing a wheelie, I'll guess the gas moved in the float bowl and kept the needle and seat closed long enough it starved for gas.

Mike

• boyscout862, propane1 and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#5 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,315 Thanks
  • 2,968 posts

Posted April 22, 2017 - 03:52 PM

My old snowblower sucked a choke butterfly screw up and got stuck under a valve.It fell flat on it's face and seemed to have zero compression so I tore the head off and quickly discovered a bunch of small impressions on the top of the piston and head and 1 beat up little brass screw stuck under the exhaust valve.

Pulled the screw out of the valve and put the head back on and replaced the carb butterfly screw and put a dab of loctite on it and it fired rite back up.

You could of sucked up something and it might have jammed in the exhaust valve and got thrown out into the exhaust.The H50 on my old tiller did that but it messed up the top of the piston and head pretty bad before it ejected into the muffler.

Do you have a straight stack on your tractor? Could of got some dirt or something down the exhaust.Doesn't take much to hold a valve open enough to stall it out.

Dirty trick that dishonest pullers will do is toss a couple small pieces of gravel down a stack.It jams the exhaust valve open.

Edited by EricFromPa, April 22, 2017 - 03:54 PM.

• 637Yeoman said thank you

#6 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • 1,550 Thanks
  • 1,254 posts

Posted April 22, 2017 - 05:52 PM

My old snowblower sucked a choke butterfly screw up and got stuck under a valve.It fell flat on it's face and seemed to have zero compression so I tore the head off and quickly discovered a bunch of small impressions on the top of the piston and head and 1 beat up little brass screw stuck under the exhaust valve.

Pulled the screw out of the valve and put the head back on and replaced the carb butterfly screw and put a dab of loctite on it and it fired rite back up.

You could of sucked up something and it might have jammed in the exhaust valve and got thrown out into the exhaust.The H50 on my old tiller did that but it messed up the top of the piston and head pretty bad before it ejected into the muffler.

Do you have a straight stack on your tractor? Could of got some dirt or something down the exhaust.Doesn't take much to hold a valve open enough to stall it out.

Dirty trick that dishonest pullers will do is toss a couple small pieces of gravel down a stack.It jams the exhaust valve open.

I do have a straight pipe, and i really hope i didnt suck something big like that into my motor, that would be bad.

Right now shes out of commission, been having problems, and a front tire popped. We used to be really into pulling, then the place closed down, and we have no where to do it at. So, shes just a wagon hauler, and i occasionally pull the stone boat.

Thanks for the help guys, and the good ideas, not the gravel one tho :D

#7 DaveBb OFFLINE  

DaveBb
  • Member No: 62819
  • 405 Thanks
  • 173 posts

Posted April 30, 2017 - 10:45 AM

Depending on how much of a wheelie I would say carb issue lost fuel cause of the angle for one reason or another. Is your fuel tank in front or behind the engine? 

#8 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • 1,550 Thanks
  • 1,254 posts

Posted May 02, 2017 - 12:13 PM

Depending on how much of a wheelie I would say carb issue lost fuel cause of the angle for one reason or another. Is your fuel tank in front or behind the engine? 

Right above, but ive done bigger wheelies and had no problem