Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Voting for feature Tractor of May 2017

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

Poll: Vote For Feature Tractor May 2017 (59 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Tractor Should We Feature?

1. Ford LGT 165 by pryan05 (3 votes [5.08%])

Percentage of vote: 5.08%

2. Simplicity 7016 by BTS (2 votes [3.39%])

Percentage of vote: 3.39%

3. Bush Hog HD-12 by 48 Willys (9 votes [15.25%])

Percentage of vote: 15.25%

4. Gravely Custom by tiretrx (14 votes [23.73%])

Percentage of vote: 23.73%

5. Alice by KennyP (15 votes [25.42%])

Percentage of vote: 25.42%

6. Old Jake by Stroud (5 votes [8.47%])

Percentage of vote: 8.47%

7. 71 Bolens 1886-01 Resto-Mod by Austen (11 votes [18.64%])

Percentage of vote: 18.64%

Vote

#1 DougT OFFLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 6,719 Thanks
  • 4,882 posts

Posted April 03, 2017 - 09:34 AM

Voting for GTtalk Featured Tractor of the Month for the month of May 2017 has now officially started and will end the last day of April. This month's theme is custom/modiified
The winner will be featured on the GTtalk Home Page for the entire month of May and in our Featured Tractor Section for infinity. 

We have 7 nominations this month. Before voting please be sure to check out all the entries in the posts below.   Good Luck to all participants. Let the Voting Begin!       

• hamman, blackjackjakexxix, KennyP and 7 others have said thanks

#2 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 1,378 Thanks
  • 815 posts

Posted April 03, 2017 - 11:18 PM

This will be my first time entering a GTT contest and this seemed like a fitting time so thought I'd give it a shot!

I'm entering my 1971 Bolens 1886-01 "resto-mod." I was introduced to Bolens tractors as a young kid when a close neighbor of mine brought home a Bolens 1220 tube frame once and I couldn't get over the bold looks of it. It was love at first site. It made my heart pound and my adrenaline rush when I saw it in action as I Imagined how he must've been in heaven operating such a cool machine; I can still picture the smile that he had on his face while he drove it.

Fast forward to about two decades later and my dream of owning a Bolens GT came true. Garden tractors, and related vintage outdoor power equipment in general for that matter, are not anywhere near as commonly found here on the west coast as they are in the mid west and east coast as I've learned. While not cost effective, I knew that if wanted to find what I was looking for, I needed to broaden my search nationwide. My goal was to find a large frame, in particular a 1886 if I could, but did not necessarily limit myself to that model specifically if the right thing came along. After the better part of a year researching the market and passing on several that seemed to have a lot of compromises attached, I found a package that I sooned learned was more than worth the wait after all these years. I had reached out to a member named "Steevo", another Bolens enthusiast who lives in the proximity of Washington State, mentioning to keep an eye out if he came across what I was looking for. What I wasn't expecting was to be offered his 1886-01 as a package deal with other included attachments. Steve had previously done a complete mechanical, ground up, refurbishment on it including a restoration of the Johnson 14 Workhorse loader.

One of the standing features is that he transplanted a modern v-twin 22HP Kohler engine in place of the original 18HP K482 Kohler flat twin. While I am typically pro-original on vintage OPE, I appreciated that it was a newer Kohler in place of an original Kohler engine and the thought that went into everything. To me it is the same type of concept as replacing a tired GM 350 with a modern LS motor.

What was left when I got it was a cosmetic refurbishment so shortly thereafter I had someone assist me with that. It is painted 'Wimbledon White' and is wrapped in a full 1886-01 decal kit from Sam's Bolens. It was also great working with our dedicated Bolens parts suppliers such as "Rick's Bolens Parts" and "Bolens Parts & Supplies" to gather a few other needed items to make this project complete and of course forum members who have provided lots of answers to my questions over the years too. I would also like to greatly compliment member "29 Chev", Stew, for his support in creating a one-off replica seat cover for his project. Without his help, I wouldn't be able to have my long time Bolens 'dream seat.'

One of the things I've really grown into appreciating most about this tractor is that it's a resto-mod and the aspects of adding a little of my own unique flavor to it here and there. Most recently, I finished up a custom wheel and tire project. Wheel adapters were built so that it could be a total bolt-on setup allowing the original wheel set the ability to be swapped back on at anytime.

It is a great dirt moving machine and I use the Gannon Excavator lot for light grading work and of course the loader comes in handy for more things than you can dream up. It is a lot of fun to use and never runs out of power. If I could convince my family to keep it in the living room, I would!

Specs:

• Kohler CH22 v-twin 22HP engine transplant
  • Custom under-hood hidden exhaust/muffler system. Ceramic coated.
  • Custom made diamond plate muffler heat shield
  • Custom 16ga stainless firewall/air deflector
  • Gyrotech hydrostat fan w/balanced driveshaft
  • Earlier style large frame seat with custom seat cushions recreated by member "29 Chev"
  • Full stainless steel body hardware
  • Extended rear frame rails to accept the later HT style 3 point hitch
  • Marine grade battery box
  • Upgraded trailer style bolt-on front wheel hubs
  • Motorsport Tech wheel adapter spacers
  • Custom F&R powdercoated rims
  • 22x9.50-10 Carlisle All Trail II (Similar to HDAP tires only in 4ply)
  • 29x12.50-15 Carlisle Tru Powers filled w/ 20 gallons each of Rim Guard

Links of interest:

http://gardentractor...ject-completed/

http://gardentractor...project-teaser/

http://gardentractor...ored-seat-pics/

http://gardentractor...-kit-installed/

http://gardentractor...es-to-the-1886/

http://gardentractor...ox-on-the-1886/

http://gardentractor...oration-photos/

93A3iibl
vtyTcTVl
YfQ9oaRh
9YEepeZh
DSC 4522 zpsboz0j7bs
IMG 2478 zpsun3igx3s
DSC 4291 zpsdxsbyizb
DSC 4465 zps69dypvb6
DSC 4150 zps7wgtzz5z

Edited by Austen, April 04, 2017 - 03:27 PM.

• fonz3482, DougT, Gtractor and 20 others have said thanks

#3 Stroud OFFLINE  

Stroud
  • Member No: 53869
  • 131 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted April 04, 2017 - 06:54 PM

Well I'm gonna nominate Old Jake. A 1967 Jacobsen 800 that has been a part of my life for around 34 years since first introduction. When I was about 12 my stepfather purchased it from a coworker. He mowed with it for many years as as time went on the deck spindles wore out. He bought a Sears riding mower to keep mowing with. As time went on and as moved to another locaction in semi city, a found myself moving into the house next door to the house I grew up in.

The yard was about 2 acres and I asked my parents if I could have the Jacobsen to mow with. Worked great for a couple of years,but as time moves so do poeple. I moved back to smaller semicity living and Old Jake went back to his old spot in the yard.

After a few years I moved into my grandfathers cottage in the set back country. Old Jake was moved in. Last time he would not charge and needed parts. The neighbor across the road was a family friend and later became a father figure to me. I could never find parts. One day he showed me his Jake collection of about 17 and one 1967 Ford 100. He offered me my starter/generator in exchange to get a 1967 Jacobsen 1200 running. Done deal.

Foreward several years, Joe and I worked together. He passed one day at work. I was given the opportunity to buy the estate and so did. I mowed out 3 decks on Old Jake and you just can't scrap a good tractor. Part way through the build the 8 horse gave out, so in went the 12.

Every thing on Old Jake except the tires and paint are recycled from scrap or were replaced parts. I have 3 videos on youtube that I am not promoting but to see in action under Jacobsen 1967 built to homemade backhoe. This was built with what I had to work with so no plans could ever work.

card 5 292.jpg
card 5 292.jpg
PICT0271.JPG
Loader Project 005.jpg
IMAG0018.jpg
Henkels crane 001.jpg
IMAG0118.jpg
IMAG0267.jpg
Driveway2
My two projects.

• DougT, Gtractor, MH81 and 14 others have said thanks

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,791 Thanks
  • 44,566 posts

Posted April 05, 2017 - 07:13 AM

I'm going to nominate Alice for this month, I picked the tractor up the end of July, 2015. When I first saw it, I saw the potential to make a good working tractor from the mods already done to her. She was owned by someone into pulling and the frame had been cut to accept a Kohler Magnum 18, which I had sitting in the shop. This is what she looked like the day I brought her home.

2015-07-31 14.27.55.jpg

She was a 716-6 speed, I wanted a hydro. So everything from the BGB back was removed. It took me until mid-October to get her put together. I made a frame for an Eaton 11/Peerless 2500 out of a Ford LGT 165. Even set up the foot pedal drive. I moved the brake pedal to the LH side while I was at it. Next was using the 3-Point rock shaft off a Sears FF tractor. I found an MTD drive shaft through this forum, this has u-joints and not the discs like the AC uses. Added in an oil cooler since I did not have a fan to cool the hydro. Since getting it going, I have installed a two-spool valve from a MF. Rear fenders are early Sears/Roper. Seat slide is from the Ford. I have a tool box under the seat. I also had to extend the hood and front frame 4" to make room for the exhaust.

Before taking her to Ball Hollow Plow days last Spring, I bought some tri-ribs for the front and a set of BKT 26-12's for the rear. Made a pair of suitcase weights for the front out of lead, 40 lbs. each. The rears are full of washer fluid, each one weights 120 lbs. I have Sears 40 lb. weights on the outside, and Gravely two-piece 40 lb. weight installed inside each wheel. I have no spinning issues!

I have also built a canopy for the hotter days. Implements I have built that I use on the 3-point are:
Box Blade
Fork Lift
Boom Pole
Modified a Brinly 10" sleeve hitch plow to 3-point
3-Point to Sleeve Hitch Adapter

I also have a Brinly 12" plow that I have no problem pulling.
Here's some pics.

This post has been promoted to an article

Edited by KennyP, April 06, 2017 - 05:41 AM.

• rustyoldjunk, DougT, Gtractor and 18 others have said thanks

#5 tiretrx OFFLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 2,084 Thanks
  • 1,171 posts

Posted April 06, 2017 - 10:57 AM

I'll throw my Gravely Custom in the ring. Initially, it started as a project to fill the winter months of 2010/2011. Then it became a half decade long saga, lol. The goal was to build a Gravely with features to my liking. I wanted better ground clearance, and a broader stance. Also big on my list was a hinged hood and forward/reverse controls that were better placed for the operator. The end result would still look predominantly Gravely, just one you weren't quite sure if you had seen the model before. With time, in years, that morphed into something a bit different. A little louder, on the edgy side. It was a ground up build starting with the chassis. In order to lengthen the frame 9" I took the front half of a 60's Gravely 432 and the back half of an 80's 8169.

IMGP0951.jpg

I welded the two halves together and that gave me my platform.

IMGP0954.jpg

An early mock up with stretched hood. This also shows using larger diameter front wheels.

IMGP0979.jpg

I built rear axle extensions, with false axle ends, to widen the stance. New front spindles were also made.

IMGP1157.jpg

Another feature I wanted was different headlights. These are old Ford tractor lights. The location was later lowered.

DSC01178.jpg

Never liked reaching so far forward next to the steering wheel to change direction on the stock Gravelys. Going in reverse, especially. I took a control lever off a 60's Gravely 430 Commercial and put the lever next to the seat. The linkage was scratch built from scrap pieces.

gravleycus022_zps23712558.jpg

Took a piece of CNC cover panel and bent up the new hood.

IMG_20150206_185955_zps3mbh1yet.jpg

Made the hood hinge. Never liked having to take out 8 screws just to get under the "hood". Gas tank? Narrowed Campbell Hausfeld air compressor tank.

IMG_20150214_141700_zpsuapfid0e.jpg

Somewhere along the line I just couldn't bring myself to cover up what I just love about Gravelys.........that rear engine linked to the massive tranny/rear end. The external clutches and linkage. No more seat pan. I used a Sears Suburban springer I had in the pile.

IMG_20150225_192346_zpsm6wvynlm.jpg

With the new look, I figured a gauge cluster would be cool. Just bent the stock cover and made the holes with a hole saw.

IMG_20150224_171639_zpshftisaie.jpg

The rear fenders are off a '63 Bolens 800. The front tires and wheels are the rears off the same tractor. The Bolens was a scrap yard save. I tilted the fenders back to replicate the lines of the old Auburns, Cords and Duesies I admire.

IMG_20150311_181947_zpsxtlt7gqg.jpg

IMG_20150311_182749_zpsdtkewful.jpg

The power plant is a Kohler Magnum 18hp off a '90 Gravely 18G. To spice it up a bit, I fabbed stainless exhaust ending in VW chrome tips. It's totally open. Brought up the fuel flow to match the new exit rate. Turned a aluminum riser and topped it off with a Edelbrock air filter. The taillight's a side maker off an old flatbed trailer.

20150507_200622_zpsp0lv081o.jpg

First night fire up! Push button start, temporary throttle control.

It has a gas pedal throttle, which makes for some fun. She's never gone to paint. I dig the ratty look. It shows the build in it's own way. This is the way she sits now.

The chrome "Custom" emblem is off a 60's Ford Galaxy.

20150608_192501_zpsfkqmkuii.jpg?14338518

A good friend at the wheel :thumbs:

DSC01912.jpg

• DougT, Gtractor, MH81 and 19 others have said thanks

#6 48willys ONLINE  

48willys

• Member No: 8184
  • 171 Thanks
  • 86 posts

Posted April 06, 2017 - 01:37 PM

Here's mine for nomination. I purchased this Bush Hog HD-12 in January 2012 with hopes of fixing it up for taking to plow days and for some chores around the farm. After getting it home and running it around  trying to work it a little, it quickly became apparent that the engine and hydrostatic unit had major problems. The first time I took into the garden to plow I got covered in engine oil because the muffler was  loaded up with oil, I also found that when worked hard the points box would fill up with oil and short the points. A year latter I tried swapping a 12hp Kohler into it hoping that I could take it to a plow day that was coming up, sadly after the swap I found a lot of the power troubles were the hydrostatic unit locking up under load.  While it was still with the original equipment .

gallery_8184_10_314712.jpg

About march 2015 I came across an Kubota D1105 that ran really well after I did some repair to the injection pump, It was then that I decided that even though it was a rare tractor I really wanted to build it into something that would be good for plow days and for other three point tasks. Starting the engine mock up.

gallery_8184_10_244328.jpg

Knowing I needed a rear axle my brother donated a cast iron cub cadet rear end hydrostatic unit for the project. We pulled the differential out, flipped it so it would turn correctly for the diesel also adding the fine spline axle carrier and axles. Then we also turned the charge pump so it would work correct, and added automatic relief valves . After setting the axle up in the frame. 

1426790201_zps632bb9ae.jpg

Also I had to make a whole new linkage to the foot control with a centering device . 

1431011816_zpsc350c068.jpg

Building the 3 point hitch.

1437341028_zpse747fccf.jpg

The Tractor completed !

gallery_8184_10_164601.jpg

gallery_8184_10_2118330.jpg

• DougT, Gtractor, MH81 and 18 others have said thanks

#7 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 3,969 Thanks
  • 2,328 posts

Posted April 17, 2017 - 08:59 PM

I would like to nominate my Simplicity 7016 with duels, these duels are made of wheels from a sweeper auger from the COOP, I bought these duels along with 2 sears garden tractors from a friend after he upgraded to a Kubota. I just got these duels installed and I can't wait to use them this summer, I am hoping that this is going to give me better stability on ditches when mowing.

I got this Simplicity from my great uncle when he passed away, it had been sitting for at least 5 years and it was in pretty rough shape. I rebuilt the engine and got it painted. I added front and rear wheel weights and a comfortable seat :thumbs:.

The last picture shows the mounts for the duels, sorry for not getting the duels painted, I was hoping to get it done but I ran out of time.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5886.jpg
  • IMG_5900.jpg
  • IMG_5903.jpg
  • 20170405_200534.jpg
  • IMG_5910.jpg

Edited by BTS, April 17, 2017 - 09:02 PM.

• DougT, MH81, KennyP and 13 others have said thanks

#8 pryan05 OFFLINE  

pryan05

LGT

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 84973
  • 576 Thanks
  • 322 posts

Posted April 19, 2017 - 06:22 PM

I would like to enter my closed side Ford LGT 165.  This tractor started off as a parts tractor for my LGT 145 as it came with a mower deck which I did not have yet.  After fixing up the mower deck for my 145 I came across scrapped diesel welder.  The welding machine in question was a Miller bobcat 250 dnt,  I tried my hardess to get the welding machine  to weld again but the main stabilizer was shot.  But all along I knew that the real plan was to put the Kubota in the Ford.  After a quick internet search I found out that skyrydr2 had already put a diesel in his LGT.  A few photos later and I was set..  I wanted his tractor and the only way to do so would be to build one.  He posted everything that was required to build this tractor, motor mounts, radiator location, drive shaft  and the all important fuel tank.  I also built a three point hitch including the rocker shaft and a front and rear plow.  I am mostly finished building this tractor there a few tweaks to do and the bonnet needs to be painted.  I feel that without the help of the members on this site I would be at a lost.  It's very easy to find inspiration and motivation to take on such projects when you have community of friends like this one.  So hers is my tractor.20170419_185108.jpg

20170419_185119.jpg 20170419_185134.jpg 20170419_185144.jpg 20170419_185156.jpg 20170419_185208.jpg 20170419_185237.jpg  

SNC00447.jpg

Here is a link to the build!

http://gardentractor...er-kubota-d722/

http://gardentractor...-for-ford-lgts/

http://gardentractor...-3-point-hitch/

Edited by pryan05, April 19, 2017 - 08:52 PM.

• DougT, MH81, KennyP and 11 others have said thanks

#9 DougT OFFLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 6,719 Thanks
  • 4,882 posts

Posted April 21, 2017 - 10:55 PM

The voting has officially started. Good Luck to all participants!

• Newpaws493, Austen, Stroud and 3 others have said thanks

#10 MGP59DB OFFLINE  

MGP59DB
  • Member No: 66960
  • 1,537 Thanks
  • 722 posts

Posted April 22, 2017 - 06:18 AM

I really enjoyed reading all of these stories and looking at the modifications . True 'working' tractors .

• Austen, Stroud, 637Yeoman and 1 other said thanks

#11 Kster526 OFFLINE  

Kster526
  • Member No: 77872
  • 760 Thanks
  • 498 posts

Posted April 22, 2017 - 06:10 PM

Some very talented members we have . Good luck to all of you.

#12 Mark 149 J. OFFLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 78623
  • 1,789 Thanks
  • 1,053 posts

Posted April 22, 2017 - 08:48 PM

It's not an easy pick for this month.  All of the tractors turned out great!

#13 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 35,791 Thanks
  • 44,566 posts

Posted April 25, 2017 - 05:12 AM

Only 25 votes posted! Get those votes in folks!

• DougT, tiretrx and Stroud have said thanks

#14 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,364 Thanks
  • 1,810 posts

Posted April 26, 2017 - 09:30 AM

All unique Winners! Great ideas and work put in, Congrats to All Entries :urock:

• Austen said thank you

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 35,791 Thanks
  • 44,566 posts

Posted April 28, 2017 - 09:23 AM