• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TravisK OFFLINE  

TravisK
  • Member No: 86428
  • 7 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted April 20, 2017 - 07:16 PM

My newish to me MF10 has a habit of going from full to half throttle because of the vibration working the dash lever down. I'm curious if this is a problem others have had and fixed? The levers behind the dash don't appear to have any adjustment at all. It appears the plastic washers meant to hold the lever in position have disintegrated and there isn't enough friction to hold the cable against the force of the spring on the carb. I think I can drive out the pressed fulcrum on the lever and replace it with a serrated washer and locking nut, but I hate to do that without consulting the hive mind.

Perhaps related is that the tractor dies below half throttle which makes me wonder if the travel at the carb isnt "matching" the travel at the dash lever. I'm a novice at tuning carbed engines but I think the full throttle sounds right and perhaps the half throttle position isn't truest low idle.
  • propane1 said thank you

#2 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 7,985 Thanks
  • 3,861 posts

Posted April 20, 2017 - 07:58 PM

I think you've answered your own questions and have the trouble figured out. Any of those levers I have, have an adjustment to tighten them up, so they stay in place. My JD and a Ford I have, have that adjustment. I was having trouble with them.

Noel.
  • boyscout862 and TravisK have said thanks

#3 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,957 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted April 21, 2017 - 06:47 AM

I have seen some that have been lightly peened to increase tightness... but you'll want to watch going to far

#4 TravisK OFFLINE  

TravisK
  • Member No: 86428
  • 7 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted April 21, 2017 - 07:27 PM

Ended up taking a die grinder to the old fulcrum rod/rivet, driving it out, and replacing it with a 1/4" bolt. The lever needed drilled out as it was a slightly smaller diameter than the hole on the bracket. The serated plastic disk was in good shape on one side so I assume what disintegrated on the other side was a rubber washer, which is what I replaced it with. I had to tighten the nut down more than I thought to get the lever to stay put while running full throttle. Problem solved.

(A swivel jaw vise really came in handy here! Driving out that rivet would have been tough otherwise)

Thanks for the suggestions!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0687.JPG
  • IMG_0686.JPG

• DMAX, limebuzz, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#5 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,390 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted April 29, 2017 - 07:18 PM

Oh my, you didn't have to go to all that trouble.

Way back when, a bunch of us brain stormed this

issue for darn near a whole winter. turns out, that the best

solution is the most crazy thing you ever heard.

Take about 15" of #6 dental floss, soak it in Buckwheat Honey

for a couple days, and then wrap it in between the plates, around the

rivet. But glad to see you fixed it up.

• dropped82 said thank you