16 replies to this topic

#16 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3766
  • 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted June 16, 2011 - 12:21 AM

what is it with all of the newer vehicles and the price of the parts? sell the damn truck and buy an early 90's late 80's silverado with a 350 tbi. 350's are cheap to fix and your typical 700R4 can be rebuilt for 1,000 bucks or less. i have an 89 camaro with a mild built 350 tbi and a 700R4 (basically the same transmission as a pickup from that era) and i was quoted 1,200 for a fully rebuilt transmission. it doesnt need to be done yet but the car has 185K miles on it, so i thought i would ask. i had to have the transmission in my 91 cavalier rebuilt and it cost 900 bucks, full overhaul. that was almost 2 years ago and i still drive that car.

i get all of my cars from down south, so they are very solid. older vehicles are cheaper and easier to work on. i dont need or want to deal with all of that electronic stuff found on newer cars.

#17 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted June 16, 2011 - 08:58 AM

Although I agree, with two kids I don't have the time to tinker with little stuff on my vehicle. When I need it to go I need it to go, you know? My current daily driver is an 89 wrangler and I did buy it just for the reason you mention but the Burban is the family hauler and has been great for us with no problems for over 4 years...So, although I agree with you AD356, I also know that the older the vehicle the more "little stuff" needs attention.