• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Huttar OFFLINE  

Huttar
  • Member No: 86539
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted April 20, 2017 - 12:48 PM

I picked this up as a combo deal with an older Craftsman mower and I just got the H14 home.  I put a battery in it and she fired up but it leaks gas from the bottom of the carb and there is oil everywhere.  I bought a carb rebuild for it but i am not sure the source of the oil leak.  I believe it is coming from the head gasket at the top of the HH140 tech motor.  Has anyone had a similar experience with a leak in the head gasket? Im trying not to tear this thing completely down because I would like to get it mowing ASAP.  Any suggestions to my issue would be greatly appreciated.  

#2 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 9,134 Thanks
  • 6,240 posts

Posted April 20, 2017 - 03:25 PM

Hard to say without seeing what your dealing with.  I would clean all the oil off good, carb cleaner or brake cleaner will work, start it and let it run.  Watch for any place the oil is starting to show up and you should pin point the source of the leaks.  First thought would be head gasket.  Not much of a task to replace them but best get the manual for that engine.  Should be one in the manuals section of this forum.  Good luck.

Edited by chieffan, April 20, 2017 - 03:26 PM.

• boyscout862, Sawdust and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#3 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,809 Thanks
  • 18,054 posts

Posted April 20, 2017 - 03:30 PM

Welcome

Can we get some pictures of what your dealing with?

Its quite possible a head gasket is blown if its leaking at the gasket area

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,183 Thanks
  • 8,895 posts

Posted April 20, 2017 - 04:45 PM

Welcome to GTT. Many consider th H 14 the best tube frame Bolens. Download the owners, parts, and engine manuals from our manuals section. There should be a tractor shop manual in there too. When asking questions, clear pics help us to understand better. Before starting a new to me engine, I change the oil and check for mouse nests. Clean the air cleanner too. New oil is cheap insurance. Good Luck, Rick

#5 Huttar OFFLINE  

Huttar
  • Member No: 86539
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted April 21, 2017 - 09:25 AM

Thanks Everyone I will post Photos when I get back home on Sunday I'm out of town this weekend.  But i will deffinatly give it a good clean up and see if I can pinpoint the leak.