• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 limebuzz ONLINE  

limebuzz

• Member No: 795
  • 861 Thanks
  • 876 posts

Posted June 13, 2011 - 10:19 AM

Well I was out tilling today and the tractor started surging to the point it would stall out.I limped it home,and figured it was dirty gas.So I pulled the fuel pump apart and oil ran out of the vaccum port :confuse: Is this bad rings or valves? I'm thinking Rings, or am I way off?Any help would be great!!

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 13, 2011 - 10:29 AM

Was it smoking at all through the exhaust? It could be two separate issues as having oil in the vacuum line wouldn't exactly cause it to not work. Have you checked the crankcase breather? Do you still have the original Onan in this one?

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted June 13, 2011 - 11:25 AM

Oil in that port hose is not uncommon & nothing to worry about. In fact, this is a good sign as to your fuel pump diaphragm, because if the diaphragm had a hole in it, the vacuum line would be washed clean by leaking fuel. I would first check on fuel flow to the carb, then if that is ample, I'd next take the top off the carb & check for dirty jets.

#4 limebuzz ONLINE  

limebuzz

• 861 Thanks
  • 876 posts

Posted June 13, 2011 - 08:42 PM

This is the original Onan in it and yes it is getting enough gas.Its almost like it is only like this when you put it under load!She sits there and will run at any speed until you try to move,then it srarts to spitter and sputter.I will have to take a look at the carb tomorrow after work!

#5 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 14, 2011 - 05:21 AM

Yep sounds like it needs a carb cleaning. Mine was acting like that and I cleaned the carb. Then I ran in to a problem with the 12v side of the coil wire coming loose and didn't realize it and the carb got cleaned about 5 more times LOL.

#6 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,451 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted June 14, 2011 - 07:47 AM

Yep sounds like it needs a carb cleaning. Mine was acting like that and I cleaned the carb. Then I ran in to a problem with the 12v side of the coil wire coming loose and didn't realize it and the carb got cleaned about 5 more times LOL.

Wait , that's sounds like one of my statements , no ,,I would have taken the carb off one more time !!! Al:rolling:

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 14, 2011 - 08:17 AM

Wait , that's sounds like one of my statements , no ,,I would have taken the carb off one more time !!! Al:rolling:

You guys make me dread having carb problems! I would take a quick look at the governor and ignition system just to make sure they areOK before tearing into the carb. I have been fooled into doing carb work a couple of times when the actual problem was goveernor or ignition related.

#8 limebuzz ONLINE  

limebuzz

• 861 Thanks
  • 876 posts

Posted June 15, 2011 - 09:12 PM

Well finally got time to work on the tractor tonight,took the top off the carb and cleaned it!didn't really see anything in there that shouldn't have been there.No go,so i checked the points and they were off a bit so I set them to 23° and low and behold she fired right up!This one was an easy fix,but I think I'll pick up a new set of pionts and condencer on the weekend!