• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Clevis ONLINE  

Clevis
  • Member No: 82966
  • 182 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted April 19, 2017 - 10:46 PM

I decided to hang my 3ph on my HT20 for the first time.  I have all the pieces except two (optional?) - the Sway Bar (#1721580) and the Block Assembly (#1724782) which holds the Control Rod.  My first question is - are these optional?  I have the chain assemblies, do I need the sway bar too?  I have the control rod, just not the block assembly.  I read its for locking the hitch in the lift position when you are transporting heavy attachments.  I have not hitched anything super heavy yet - is this really needed for heavy attachments?  The heaviest attachment I plan to use with the hitch is a Gannon Earthcavator I picked up a while back.  I have searched for a block assembly and can't find one.  Anyone know of one for sale?  Or, do any of you have the specs on it?
My second question is about the lower arm spread.  I've attached a pic of the hitch hung on the tractor.  I believe I've got it all set up correctly. I measured it out and the arms naturally seem to hang about 18-19" apart.  I recently picked up a Titan CAT0 hitch receiver.  You may have seen them - they are on ebay and amazon and other places.  When I received it I found that it really seems to be a CAT0-CAT1 hybrid hitch.  The holes in it are 3/4" and the lower hitch pins are a 4" long CAT1 to CAT0 conversion pins (3/4" step down to 5/8").  I tried to put this receiver on the 3PH and I can't get the arms wide enough.  This receiver is 20" wide and with 4" hitch pins I need to spread the arms about 25" or so to get it on.  I tried everything - taking the chains off - no difference.  Its not the chains.  I found that the link arms which attach to the arms of the pivot shaft and then attach to the lower hitch arms do not allow the lower arms to spread much more than 22" or 23" at maximum. Have any of you all ran into issues with the arm spread with attachments, or am I just having trouble because my receiver hitch is a hybrid size?
After fiddling with it I just ended up turning the pins around to the inside and hanging it that way.  Then to keep the arms stable I dropped by the hardware store and got a fist full of washers to keep the hitch arms pressed to the inside of the hitch pins.  It seems stable.  I tried pulling a trailer around a bit - then I hooked a chain up and played around skidding some logs.  Fun.  I'm new to tractoring - are there any stability or balancing issues with turning the pins to the inside like that? 
Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• 18086.png
  • 0413171856.jpg
  • 0413171857.jpg
  • 0414171656.jpg
  • 0418171604.jpg

• blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#2 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,111 Thanks
  • 7,551 posts

Posted April 20, 2017 - 06:05 AM

I've done that on blade, didn't have trouble.
  • Clevis said thank you

#3 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,177 Thanks
  • 1,218 posts

Posted April 20, 2017 - 10:40 AM

My HT 23 has the block.
It's not a necessity.
But, it is handy when I have the weight box on
Keeps the arms from drifting down over time.

The sway bar is for using the back blade
Or, when moving a heavy trailer.
It's not used all the time.

Joe

Edited by Rock farmer, April 20, 2017 - 10:41 AM.

• blackjackjakexxix and Clevis have said thanks

#4 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,284 Thanks
  • 928 posts

Posted April 20, 2017 - 10:59 AM

Look for the manual for the 3-pt hitch in the Manuals sub-forum. It explains when to use the sway bar and when to use the chains.

• blackjackjakexxix and Clevis have said thanks