• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 thadscub ONLINE  

thadscub

• Member No: 1913
  • 71 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted April 19, 2017 - 09:05 PM

hi guys i recently got a cub cadet 123 in overall good condition how ever the engine smokes and burns oill the engine has been bored 30 over what is my best option
thanks thad

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,428 Thanks
  • 8,462 posts

Posted April 19, 2017 - 09:45 PM

You can't really tell until you take it all apart and fill in the Kohler engine inspection sheet. I would try to salvage it before disassembly by doing an oil change(smell for gas in the oil) and using the heaviest oil the manual allows. That usually (but not always) is 30w for warm weather for small engines. Properly adjust the carb. Run Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas. Run the engine for several gas tank fulls and see if it does better. If not try disassembling it and inspecting. Keep your eyes on CL. I picked up a CC engine with rebuilding kit for $50 a couple of years ago. It was just what I needed at that time. Last Saturday I picked up an 8 hp Kohler at the swap meet. There are plenty out there.  Good Luck, Rick

#3 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,883 Thanks
  • 2,492 posts

Posted April 20, 2017 - 06:10 AM

um yeah... blown up, a supposed claim of "no cylinder or crank damage" from a broken rod, missing starter and carb for $100, this for a K301 out of a Cub is the only single cyl Kohler that has been available on CL forever around here.....

#4 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 768 Thanks
  • 667 posts

Posted April 21, 2017 - 05:40 PM

The local machine shop can bore a bit past .30 over and sleeve it back to std diameter so you can start over.  As long as the rest of the block is good.  I would have it resleeved  back to standard diameter and enjoy it for another 20 years.   Make sure you have your new piston on hand as the machine shop will size the final bore diameter to the new piston.  Ditch the balance gears while your in there, or if you must have them, replace them both new with OEM ones.  I also prefer OEM rod and piston head when possible.  Just a personal choice after 25+ years of wrenching on small engines.    Mike

• KennyP and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#5 kencombs OFFLINE  

kencombs

• Member No: 8398
  • 21 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted April 23, 2017 - 01:04 PM

I have a k301 that ran well but smokes.  Haven't torn it down yet, but the crank should be good.  If You need a core drop me a PM.

#6 kencombs OFFLINE  

kencombs

• Member No: 8398
  • 21 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted April 23, 2017 - 01:15 PM

I have a k301 that ran well but smokes.  Haven't torn it down yet, but the crank should be good.  If You need a core drop me a PM.

I left out a sentence.  Sleeveing is a good fix, but can be expensive.  I just read another post where the poster was quoted 130 to install the sleeve .  The sleeve and final boring to size would be extra.  so he would probably be into it for near 200.  l