• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 denthefish OFFLINE  

denthefish
  • Member No: 86533
  • 0 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted April 19, 2017 - 06:26 PM

Hi new here --- I have a 2000ish DYT 4000 18.5 intek - It will run about 10 minutes just fine  - then starts to sputter almost stall and puffs white smoke like an Indian smoke signal ---- flipping the throttle up and down I can get it to run but will happen again and again  -- I can let it idle all day - no issues  - I replaced the head gasket --- maybe I adjusted the valves wrong -- HELP !  once it gets hot it will not start - 1/2 hour later it will start fine 

#2 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 6,757 Thanks
  • 4,301 posts

Posted April 19, 2017 - 08:20 PM

Check, Air filter, Fuel filter, If the gas line is original, replace it, and finally check the gas cap vent. I may have this backwards. Check the gas cap vent all the way to the carb.

Also check for mouse nests under the engine shrouds.

Edited by larrybl, April 19, 2017 - 08:21 PM.

• boyscout862 and denthefish have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,182 Thanks
  • 8,895 posts

Posted April 19, 2017 - 09:18 PM

Welcome to GTT. I agree with above that you need to check all aspects of the fuel system. Check for mouse nests because they can cause overheating. Go to our Manuals Section and download the manual for your engine. Go through the "Troubleshooting" Section. Let us know how you make out. Good Luck, Rick
  • denthefish said thank you

#4 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,757 Thanks
  • 4,301 posts

Posted April 19, 2017 - 09:42 PM

Gotta remember the Welcome to GTT. part. Too busy with my restores but like to help where I can.

#5 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,384 Thanks
  • 3,015 posts

Posted April 20, 2017 - 02:25 AM

Sounds like the Solenoid on the bottom of the carb is going bad or possibly a loose connection on the solenoid.They act like that when they are about to go bad.

#6 ericjr16 ONLINE  

ericjr16
  • Member No: 54135
  • 1,049 Thanks
  • 574 posts

Posted April 20, 2017 - 06:39 AM

Hi new here --- I have a 2000ish DYT 4000 18.5 intek - It will run about 10 minutes just fine  - then starts to sputter almost stall and puffs white smoke like an Indian smoke signal ---- flipping the throttle up and down I can get it to run but will happen again and again  -- I can let it idle all day - no issues  - I replaced the head gasket --- maybe I adjusted the valves wrong -- HELP !  once it gets hot it will not start - 1/2 hour later it will start fine 

Welcome to the forum! Does your machine have a fuel pump on the side? If so check the vacuum line in for oil. Had one that head gasket blew and forced oil into hose and after ten minutes would die. Other cause could be oil level due to gas leakage into crankcase. How is your oil level and smell? Needle seals are weak on these carbs and I strongly suggest you get a shut off valve in line if not one already and use it every time you park it.

Really sounds like your sucking oil into air filter by smoke signals.

#7 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 2,031 Thanks
  • 1,349 posts

Posted April 20, 2017 - 12:17 PM

since you added that you adjusted the valves, I would re check that. It sounds like one or both are a little tight. They will get longer after they get hot. after the half hour cool down, they will start working again. Is there any backfire associated with this?

• denthefish said thank you

#8 denthefish OFFLINE  

denthefish
  • 0 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted April 21, 2017 - 07:21 AM

thanks for the replies --- no mouse nest -- air filter's clean - tried running with gas cap off -- new fuel filter --- new fuel -- fuel shut off valve -- it has a fuel pump - I will check the vacuum line -- backfire=yes  when it starts to stall and smoke   --- I will have to check the valve adjustment again 

#9 denthefish OFFLINE  

denthefish
  • 0 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted April 28, 2017 - 07:29 PM

I re adjusted the valves - same issue  - the fuel pump vacuum is attached to the oil fill not the crankcase breather --- strange -  I need some help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

#10 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,463 Thanks
  • 1,178 posts

Posted April 28, 2017 - 09:47 PM

When you say "once it gets hot it will not start" do you mean it in fact gets hot, or do you mean gets up to operating temp. What happens when you try to start it. will the starter run, will the engine turn, will it fire, is there spark, fuel in the carb? All the information you can provide will help. Don

#11 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,757 Thanks
  • 4,301 posts

Posted April 28, 2017 - 10:04 PM

A video would help. Not sure on your type of engine but a back-fire may indicate a slipped or partial sheared flywheel key. As for the over heat issue, have you pulled the shrouds and checked for mouse nests? 

#12 denthefish OFFLINE  

denthefish
  • 0 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted April 29, 2017 - 06:57 PM

Thanks --- not overheating  -- runs for ten minutes cutting grass then it happens

then starts to sputter almost stall and puffs white smoke ---- flipping the throttle up and down I can get it to run but will happen again within seconds

Trying to restart it - it will just crank and crank and not start ---- let it sit for 1/2 hour - starts right up and will run for another 10 minutes

#13 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,757 Thanks
  • 4,301 posts

Posted April 29, 2017 - 07:25 PM

Sure sounds like a fuel issue. Vapor Lock maybe?

#14 denthefish OFFLINE  

denthefish
  • 0 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted April 30, 2017 - 04:01 PM

I tried running with out the fuel cap on

#15 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,757 Thanks
  • 4,301 posts

Posted April 30, 2017 - 04:36 PM

https://en.wikipedia...wiki/Vapor_lock

Fuel line collapsing? I replace mine every 3-5 years. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: help !