• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 uhoss OFFLINE  

uhoss
  • Member No: 86528
  • 2 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted April 19, 2017 - 03:38 PM

Recently purchased  a gt 18 with power steering and snow blade with wheel weights. Am getting up in age and needed something to plow snow. After finding this site and reading the positive reviews i decided this was the tractor for me . My question to the members.  Will this have a problem plowing snow or should i try to find a blower and wonder what other makes will fit?

• shorty and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 34,249 Thanks
  • 43,371 posts

Posted April 19, 2017 - 03:42 PM

:wave: Welcome to the forum! I'll let the folks in the know answer your questions.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,577 Thanks
  • 4,710 posts

Posted April 19, 2017 - 03:54 PM

Welcome to GTtalk! You got a fine tractor for plowing snow. Weights are needed to get close to working the tractor. I have the Gravely version of the GT-18 with a plow. I try not to move more than 8-10" at a time. A blower works best when there is 6+" of snow. Where I am, we see smaller snows most times where a plow is better.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#4 Billy M ONLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 552 Thanks
  • 488 posts

Posted April 19, 2017 - 03:57 PM

Pushing vs. blowing depends on how much snow you need to move.  If you are pressed for space to make a snow pile, blowing is the way to go.  I would personally would push up to about 8" of snow.  Unless you have short runs, the snow builds up pretty quick in front of your blade.  You can push a surprising amount of snow using chains & weight.  The Ariens 2 stage blower relocates snow an impressive distance!

• shorty and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 uhoss OFFLINE  

uhoss
  • Member No: 86528
  • 2 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted April 19, 2017 - 04:13 PM

What brand blowers may fit the gt 18

#6 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,577 Thanks
  • 4,710 posts

Posted April 19, 2017 - 04:31 PM

What brand blowers may fit the gt 18

Just the Ariens blowers with model number starting with 831 _ _ _. A New Holland from the early 70's would fit also.
  • boyscout862 and uhoss have said thanks

#7 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,445 Thanks
  • 8,473 posts

Posted April 19, 2017 - 05:27 PM

Welcome to GTT. Besure that you have chains that fit properly and that you know how to put them on safely. Do not jack it up.  Check our Manuals Section for the manuals that you need(3 free downloads per day).

The plow is the fastest and easiest snow removal option if you don't get too much snow. Laying out your work can make it easiest and will help handle larger snow falls. I plow the sides first to make room to push the center snow out to the sides.  I am going to widen my driveway(it cuts through a hill) so that I will have a snow shelf area to push snow onto.

The snowblower can be nice but if the snow conditions aren't right it can be tough. I wear insulated coveralls when plowing. When blowing, you can get covered with snow when the wind shifts. That is when you want a cab.

There is lots to look at and to consider. Do all maintenance, adjustments and have the face of the plow smooth. Fortunately, you have plenty of time. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, April 19, 2017 - 06:00 PM.

• Newpaws493 and uhoss have said thanks

#8 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,663 Thanks
  • 7,409 posts

Posted April 19, 2017 - 08:28 PM

You selected an excellent tractor. I own the New Holland version with 14 hp engine and have zero issues pulling a 12" moldboard pliw behind it, and move all my utility trailers with it, up to 16 footers. Yes you will need weights and chains to get traction, but once you lock in on that traction, it will work excellent. Good luck.
  • shorty said thank you

#9 Scrapr65 OFFLINE  

Scrapr65
  • Member No: 85593
  • 21 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted April 21, 2017 - 05:52 AM

Welcome to GTT, A lot of good people on here and a lot of knowledge. You came to the rite place. :peace:

#10 Trc OFFLINE  

Trc
  • Member No: 87085
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted May 28, 2017 - 01:31 PM

I have a ford new holland gt 18 purchased from original owner. Was leaking a bit of oil from back seal and replaced this two weeks back with precise instructions. Used the proper tools and developed leak somewhere else on lower part of engine. Removed the engine today and not sure where it could be coming from. The cylinder heads are caked with some dirt and some oil but not the source of this leak. On lower part of engine there is a brass plug with wire that plugs into othe plug on firewall area . ( yellow). What is purpose of this wire ? Also any hints on where to look for oil leak?

#11 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,577 Thanks
  • 4,710 posts

Posted May 28, 2017 - 01:49 PM

I have a ford new holland gt 18 purchased from original owner. Was leaking a bit of oil from back seal and replaced this two weeks back with precise instructions. Used the proper tools and developed leak somewhere else on lower part of engine. Removed the engine today and not sure where it could be coming from. The cylinder heads are caked with some dirt and some oil but not the source of this leak. On lower part of engine there is a brass plug with wire that plugs into othe plug on firewall area . ( yellow). What is purpose of this wire ? Also any hints on where to look for oil leak?

The Ford is a different tractor than the Sperry New Holland.
  • Trc said thank you

#12 jakesgt19 OFFLINE  

jakesgt19
  • Member No: 74252
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted June 22, 2017 - 10:06 PM

What 3 point implements are compatible with the gt's? I keep having pto rotation direction to be an issue. 

#13 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,885 Thanks
  • 2,505 posts

Posted June 23, 2017 - 06:09 AM

sounds like that engine has a low oil shutdown....