• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Bwojo OFFLINE  

Bwojo
  • Member No: 86520
  • 3 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted April 18, 2017 - 03:58 PM

Hi everyone I need some help with an electrical issue I can't seem to chase down. I have a craftsman model #917271071 with the kholer engine. Went to start it this year and nothing. Tested the battery and it was dead. New battery went to start it and it cranked and cranked I got of the seat it kept cranking I took the key out it kept cranking I had to disconnect the battery for it to stop cranking. Figured bad starter solinoid. Replaced it. Connect the battery nothing. Which was good, turned the key still nothing, not good. Thought perhaps I blew the starter motor. Replaced it. Started right up. Feeling pretty good. Went to engage the blade engine cuts of. Check the blades and belts all good. Removed the deck entirely same thing as soon as I took the clutch lever off the plunger engine cuts out. Order new clutch safety switch (aftermarket) installed engine only cranks. Put the old one it starts right up. I taped the plunger down engaged the blades and that worked. For awhile half way done it shuts off. The switch is hot to touch and the engine only cranks now. The battery meter is sitting at 10. I order an OEM safety switch but I'm starting to think there may be a different problem. Any thoughts.

#2 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 1,271 Thanks
  • 794 posts

Posted April 18, 2017 - 05:41 PM

Sounds like you are replacing things before you need to and creating more problems for yourself. Find the manual for your tractor and or motor and use the troubleshooting part. It will cost less and most likely lead you to your specific issue.
  • boyscout862 and Newpaws493 have said thanks

#3 Bwojo OFFLINE  

Bwojo
  • Member No: 86520
  • 3 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted April 18, 2017 - 06:02 PM

Down loaded the manual and there is nothing even close to my issue/ issues in the trouble shooting section.

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,608 Thanks
  • 8,574 posts

Posted April 18, 2017 - 06:12 PM

I suspect that you have an intermittent ground problem. Clean all of the grounding connections and check that a wire isn't grounding out. Good Luck, Rick
  • Newpaws493 said thank you

#5 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,177 Thanks
  • 2,870 posts

Posted April 18, 2017 - 08:52 PM

Hot switch is usually caused by a loose connection. But if the electric PTO clutch is starting to go bad it will draw alot more power and start melting wires together. They can cause a fire so try not to run it until you rule that out. 

• MH81 and Newpaws493 have said thanks

#6 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 5,877 Thanks
  • 5,795 posts

Posted April 18, 2017 - 09:05 PM

What you have going on will only be solved with a schematic and some good trouble shooting. Your going to have to take a  meter and start working your way through the switches and connections. Sounds daunting but most garden tractors are pretty easy to check out. 

Good luck and let us know what you find. 

• ducky, DougT, Newpaws493 and 1 other said thanks

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 34,686 Thanks
  • 43,728 posts

Posted April 19, 2017 - 05:06 AM

Just on a whim I checked Sears Parts and guess what? Yep, found the manual, it's uploaded. Page 31 has the wiring diagram.

ScreenShot123.jpg

• ducky, DougT, Alc and 3 others have said thanks

#8 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 5,877 Thanks
  • 5,795 posts

Posted April 19, 2017 - 10:12 AM

Just on a whim I checked Sears Parts and guess what? 

Wow Kenny that was really nice of you.  :thumbs:  Thanks again for your efforts in making this a great site. 

• KennyP and secondtry have said thanks

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 34,686 Thanks
  • 43,728 posts

Posted April 19, 2017 - 03:24 PM

Wow Kenny that was really nice of you.  :thumbs:  Thanks again for your efforts in making this a great site. 

Just going the extra mile to help out!