• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 8,125 Thanks
  • 3,928 posts

Posted April 18, 2017 - 08:39 AM

Before I attempt to start the motor, should I lube the pressure pump with something before I hook water to it. I don't know much about pumps, have worked on them a little , but very little. The fella I got it from said it has not run for some time. And at the end of him using it, it was leaking water. May have froze. I have not looked real close yet. One of three plugs look loose or was froze and pushed it out.
Any way, any tips or ideas, as always, thanks for your help. Want your input, before I do something I will regret.  

Noel

Also, have not checked the oil in the crank case part of the pump yet, if it needs oil, what do ya put in.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

Edited by propane1, April 18, 2017 - 08:45 AM.

• boyscout862, jd.rasentrac and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,825 Thanks
  • 44,582 posts

Posted April 18, 2017 - 08:52 AM

Got a brand and model #? Maybe we can find some info on it.

#3 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 8,125 Thanks
  • 3,928 posts

Posted April 18, 2017 - 09:14 AM

No numbers or tags or rating plate any where, that I can see Kenny. 3600 psi and 415 GPM, 13 HP motor, Honda clone type.

Noel

• KennyP said thank you

#4 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,999 Thanks
  • 6,167 posts

Posted April 18, 2017 - 09:25 AM

I would check the oil in the engine first and make sure it is full and not full of water.  Little oil in the pump and pull it over to make sure the pump will turn.  Hook water to it full pressure to check for leaks,  Don't start it yet bu pull it over slow to turn the pump.  If all looks good at the pump, leave the hose connected, no water yet,  and get the engine running.  Once it fires and runs turn the water on.  I bought a good Coleman at an auction a few years back.  Seize as the recoil would not budge.  $8  and another $10 for the hose and wand.  Broke the pump loose and has been working fine ever since.  Good luck.

• KennyP, boyscout862 and propane1 have said thanks

#5 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 611 Thanks
  • 526 posts

Posted April 18, 2017 - 09:31 AM

I would hook a garden hose up to it and see if the case was tight.  I wouldn't waste money putting oil in a busted pump.  A lot of people swear by the full synthetic B&S pressure washer pump oil...but it's not cheap.

81v0wF0UbpL._SL1500_.jpg

• boyscout862, propane1 and chieffan have said thanks

#6 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 6,184 Thanks
  • 5,948 posts

Posted April 18, 2017 - 10:14 AM

Another option to synthetic would be 30w non-detergent. That's the oil we used in all the pressure washers at work. If the water is at all cream colored it needs to be changed before running. 

• boyscout862, propane1 and chieffan have said thanks

#7 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,999 Thanks
  • 6,167 posts

Posted April 18, 2017 - 10:57 AM

I would hook a garden hose up to it and see if the case was tight.  I wouldn't waste money putting oil in a busted pump.  A lot of people swear by the full synthetic B&S pressure washer pump oil...but it's not cheap.

81v0wF0UbpL._SL1500_.jpg

81v0wF0UbpL._SL1500_.jpg

This oil is for the engine, not the pump.  Only takes a spoon full to lube the pump for the first few turns.  Enough left in an "empty" bottle to do the job.

#8 MiCarl OFFLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 1,786 Thanks
  • 960 posts

Posted April 18, 2017 - 11:17 AM

The manual on my Generac specifically says not to run the engine without water to the pump.  I suspect the water lubricates and cools the pistons.

• boyscout862 and propane1 have said thanks

#9 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • 611 Thanks
  • 526 posts

Posted April 18, 2017 - 11:27 AM

The manual on my Generac specifically says not to run the engine without water to the pump.  I suspect the water lubricates and cools the pistons.

You are correct.  No pressure washer should be ran without water.  The water does cool the pump.  They shouldn't be ran extended periods without water flowing either.  Some pumps have a discharge that will dump water to keep waterflow through the pump if runs without water flowing too long.

• boyscout862 and propane1 have said thanks

#10 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • 611 Thanks
  • 526 posts

Posted April 18, 2017 - 11:31 AM

This oil is for the engine, not the pump.  Only takes a spoon full to lube the pump for the first few turns.  Enough left in an "empty" bottle to do the job.

I think you misread the label.  It's clearly for the pump.  Some pumps have sealed housings and you can't add oil.  Those are the throw-away pumps.  The pumps with an oil sump are usually built better and are more serviceable.  I have a pressure washer almost identical to the one propane1 posted here.  It is a nice unit.

• propane1 said thank you

#11 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 1,314 Thanks
  • 810 posts

Posted April 18, 2017 - 01:01 PM

This looks about like a simpson unit, the pump is a triplex variety and if that is in fact a clone then it may have been replaced because they come with honda engines or kohler. Should run 4 gallons a minute but I assume that was a typo. That pump is rebuild able and worth rebuilding the housing should have a brand either Cat general or AAA.
  • Billy M and propane1 have said thanks

#12 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,451 Thanks
  • 7,817 posts

Posted April 18, 2017 - 03:44 PM

My instructions for mine show running water at any time pump is going to be started. Both mine leak all over when using. I rarely shut off the pressure on the trigger while using, it kinda builds up and works hard. I have trigger pushed as I start. Biggest issue is it sometimes pull hard to get going, and have had another person hold the gun while I hold and pull start the unit. I would think you would want to pull this thru few times w/out running to make sure pump is not locked up or something?  Looks like a pretty good pump, may be parts for it if you can find name and model. In winter I always keep mine in the house garage, less chance of really cold and freezing.  My newer cheapy Craftsman one pulls real hard to start, no throttle or choke Briggs, kind of odd engine, but that is way they are now. My bigger one has a Briggs also, but a real cheap carb on it, gives me leak issues with gas. Now has shut-off valve, seat is plastic and o-ring thing, junky. All this story and I probly didn't add a useful thing to this question post, heh!

Re-reading see I forgot to say pull trigger open on wand when starting also, or too much pressure to roll it over. That's why helper is sometimes nice for strarting.

Edited by glgrumpy, April 18, 2017 - 03:45 PM.

• Cvans, Billy M and propane1 have said thanks

#13 MiCarl OFFLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 1,786 Thanks
  • 960 posts

Posted April 18, 2017 - 04:05 PM

Both mine leak all over when using.

Must be Generac.  Had mine fixed once under warranty, but it came back.  I just live with it.

• Billy M and propane1 have said thanks

#14 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 1,314 Thanks
  • 810 posts

Posted April 18, 2017 - 05:35 PM

Some have a water pass through so you can start them without the trigger. This is usually a feature of commercial machines with high end triplex pumps such as Cat units. All triplex pumps are rebuildable and are very efficient compared to lower end axial cam and the bottom of the bottom wobble pumps! Keep that pump tie it to a good motor and it will outlive you if you take care of it.

#15 karel OFFLINE  

karel
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,891 Thanks
  • 1,273 posts

Posted April 19, 2017 - 02:51 AM

If it froze the pumps cracked.