6 replies to this topic

#1 DandyEconomy71 OFFLINE  

DandyEconomy71
  • Member No: 68723
  • 2 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted April 17, 2017 - 12:29 PM

Hello, all,

I recently came across an E-Bay listing detailing the "new" Massey Ferguson 10 being built in the Algoma plant of Badger Northland Corp. here in Wisconsin.  The news release said they were building the 10 at the plant, and that it would have "39 available attachments."

I had heard of MF tractors being built by Dura and AMF, but not Badger Northland.  Does anyone on here know if any other models were built at Northland, or how to identify the tractors that were?  When did M-F stop production at the Northland plant?

I have run many a Badger Chopper Box, and had no idea they made the tractors, I am just really interested to find out more!

Thanks,

Errol

Attached Thumbnails

• MF-10 News Release.jpg

• DMAX and Red Tractors have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,835 Thanks
  • 8,675 posts

Posted April 17, 2017 - 03:48 PM

Welcome to GTT. Learning the histories of our machines is part of the fun of our hobby. Please take a look in our Manuals Section(3rd tab from the right on page header). You can download three documents per day for free. I suggest that you look at the MF brochures. Someone who knows more, will probably be along, to help, in awhile too. Good Luck, Rick
  • DMAX, DandyEconomy71 and Red Tractors have said thanks

#3 Red Tractors OFFLINE  

Red Tractors
  • Member No: 79531
  • 5 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted April 19, 2017 - 10:01 PM

In 1964, Badger Northland of Algoma, Wisconsin was acquired by the Massey Ferguson Company. The Massey Ferguson model 10 garden tractor and snowmobiles were being made in the old foundry building. In the summer of 1970, operations at the Algoma plant were discontinued by Massey-Ferguson.

I have a 1966 Massey Ferguson 10 with aluminum cowl and bezel, serial number 1446  001xxx. Another 10 with plastic bezel and cowl, serial number 14460 18xxx. 

Does anyone know how many 10's were built with aluminum cowl and bezel?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1357.jpg

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,957 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted April 19, 2017 - 10:14 PM

In 1964, Badger Northland of Algoma, Wisconsin was acquired by the Massey Ferguson Company. The Massey Ferguson model 10 garden tractor and snowmobiles were being made in the old foundry building. In the summer of 1970, operations at the Algoma plant were discontinued by Massey-Ferguson.

I have a 1966 Massey Ferguson 10 with aluminum cowl and bezel, serial number 1446 001xxx. Another 10 with plastic bezel and cowl, serial number 14460 18xxx.

Does anyone know how many 10's were built with aluminum cowl and bezel?

Best I know, the only year they did both dash and cowl in aluminum was 66. They had so many fitment issues, that they used up the last cowls in early 67 and gladly switched to plastic.
Here is a list of the sn range for each year.
http://gardentractor...-serial-number/

Edited by MH81, April 20, 2017 - 06:19 AM.

• limebuzz, boyscout862, DandyEconomy71 and 1 other said thanks

#5 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,964 Thanks
  • 4,087 posts

Posted April 24, 2017 - 09:52 AM

The 10 and 12s were also assembled at the Badger Northland plant in Kaukauna, WI as well when MF bought them out.

Those Badger chopper boxes was one of the best boxes ever made.  Owned 3 of them when I farmed.

• DandyEconomy71 and Red Tractors have said thanks

#6 DandyEconomy71 OFFLINE  

DandyEconomy71
  • Member No: 68723
  • 2 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted April 26, 2017 - 08:31 AM

I agree, Ducky, those Badger chopper boxes were great!  I have a side plate from one mounted on the front of the garage above the door.  The other end of the door is flanked with an "Allis-Chalmers Blvd." sign.

Is there any way to tell which of these tractors were made at which plant.  Some manufacturers with multiple facilities have a particular number or letter in the S/N to indicate which plant the machine came from, I wonder if M-F garden tractors were marked in such a way?

Errol

#7 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,964 Thanks
  • 4,087 posts

Posted April 27, 2017 - 09:57 AM

Is there any way to tell which of these tractors were made at which plant.  Some manufacturers with multiple facilities have a particular number or letter in the S/N to indicate which plant the machine came from, I wonder if M-F garden tractors were marked in such a way?

None that I am aware of.

• DandyEconomy71 said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mf-10