6 replies to this topic

#1 Forester45 ONLINE  

Forester45
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 85105
  • 33 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted April 17, 2017 - 07:42 AM

I am watching a steering wheel on ebay that says it is for a PK Jim Dandy.  I have several regular PKs waiting to fixed up and need steering wheels.  Are the steering wheels for the Jim Dandy and the regular PK the same size?

• pharmer said thank you

#2 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• Member No: 4250
  • 821 Thanks
  • 748 posts

Posted April 17, 2017 - 08:52 AM

In the parts breakdown it only shows one P.N.so I would assume so. I pulled one off an old Cushman vehicle for mine.
  • Alc, boyscout862 and Forester45 have said thanks

#3 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 4,643 Thanks
  • 2,053 posts

Posted April 17, 2017 - 05:15 PM

The earlier PK steering wheels had a tapered, keyed hole for the steering column shaft. My 1960 PK has a splined hole in the steering wheel for a splined steering column shaft. The 15" diameter Sheller steering wheels that you see on the PK's and Jim Dandy tractors, came either splined, or tapered with a key slot. Just be sure of which one you have when buying a steering wheel.
  • Alc, MNGB and Forester45 have said thanks

#4 Forester45 ONLINE  

Forester45
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 33 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted April 19, 2017 - 07:12 AM

Dang - steering wheel went for over $150 on ebay last night.  I had to bow out before that.  The search continues.  Thanks for all of the help!

• MNGB said thank you

#5 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,542 Thanks
  • 1,120 posts

Posted April 19, 2017 - 12:54 PM

Hi Forester45, was that the one listed as new, it looked nice, I was lucky to get one about 3/4 weeks ago used but in pretty good condition was a but it now and I jumped on it $45 + $10.00 shipping.

#6 Forester45 ONLINE  

Forester45
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 33 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted April 19, 2017 - 01:11 PM

Yes it was listed as NOS and looked brand new.  It actually went for $170.  I am new to this and did not realize the price of some of these items.  I have missed several buy-it-nows because I thought the price was too high but was wrong.  A few weeks ago there were some wheel weights listed at $140 that I did not jump on and just saw a set sell for over $200.  I am looking forward to fixing the PKs that I have but hate to end up having twice what one is worth after doing all the work myself.  I am very glad now that I bought a third unit for parts for the two that I am going to fix up.  This will end up saving a bunch in the long run but none of the 3 units have a decent steering wheel.  Search continues.  Thanks!

• MNGB said thank you

#7 Forester45 ONLINE  

Forester45
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 33 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted April 24, 2017 - 03:07 PM

Thanks Pharmer for the Cushman idea and Classis for the name of the steering wheel maker.  Widened my internet search by a lot.  Wealth of information here and it is very much appreciated how it is shared so freely.  Saved me a lot of money already.  Have a steering wheel on the way and should be able to find another at a decent price!

• KennyP said thank you