caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted June 14, 2011 - 05:18 PM

...I see your in Pensylvania and if I remember right, they don't allow you to use an autoloader for hunting.
That would possibly make pest control with one questionable in your state?

I guess if you're in town, I wouldn't recommend the semi-auto. I live out in the country and don't worry too much about the "rules" when I'm controlling pests. (just wanted to say that I do follow the rules religiously when I hunt though!)

The NEF single shots are a lot of bang for the buck. For Groundhogs (and they are tough) I would reccomend the 22 Hornet....

That's exactly what I have except with a Bushnell 4X scope. Mine has the bull barrel on it, so it's not a good toter for too long though LOL!

#17 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 14, 2011 - 08:00 PM

My Hornet is the standard barrel. The Savage 10 FP .223 is the heavy barrel, and I understand about not carrying it too far.
It;s set up with a 36X Tasco World Class Scope. I used to shoot it in factory class benchrest competetion, and have never put a lower mag scope on it.
The 10/22 Ruger is one of many rimfires I shoot. I have had it for 30 yrs started as a standard carbine and over the years have put a bull barrel on and put it in a Hogue overmolded stock. Did the trigger work myself. One of the neat things about them is the modular design allows one to customize to suit your taste.
I never meant to let that hobby take over a thread. But it is another facet of my life. I moderate the rimfire forum at Hunting Firearms.com on ProBoards.

Edited by JD DANNELS, June 14, 2011 - 08:09 PM.

#18 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted June 14, 2011 - 09:25 PM

Augh... I am so mad at myself! After taking the time to adjust the scope the other day, I read that the screw that locks the barrel can become loose. So I check it, and sure enough it was very loose. So I go ahead and tighten it up and call it good. This morning, I see Bugsy (the rabbit) and I grab the gun and was even able to steady against my shed. I had him 15 feet away and took the shoot... TWICE! I missed both times! I tried it out tonight on the target, and sure enough, the damn scope is off. They did mention will have to re-adjust when swapping the barrels and I have to assume that when I tightened the set screw it knocked it all off.

I will zero it in later, but for now Bugsy is living in my neighbors bush, and I assume burning it out is not an option... yet.

#19 mac102004 OFFLINE  

mac102004

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1420
  • 227 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted June 15, 2011 - 07:58 AM

I'd leave the rabbit alone and kill the coyote's. Been a lot of attacks up here recently. I know there has been a couple adults killed by them in the last year or two on hiking trails.

#20 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 15, 2011 - 08:07 AM

Augh... I am so mad at myself! After taking the time to adjust the scope the other day, I read that the screw that locks the barrel can become loose. So I check it, and sure enough it was very loose. So I go ahead and tighten it up and call it good. This morning, I see Bugsy (the rabbit) and I grab the gun and was even able to steady against my shed. I had him 15 feet away and took the shoot... TWICE! I missed both times! I tried it out tonight on the target, and sure enough, the damn scope is off. They did mention will have to re-adjust when swapping the barrels and I have to assume that when I tightened the set screw it knocked it all off.

I will zero it in later, but for now Bugsy is living in my neighbors bush, and I assume burning it out is not an option... yet.

Been there and done that, don't feel bad you will work it out. But that is something to keep in mind, in the future.
Many people do not realize that a Spring Recoil air rifle has more recoil than many smaller centerfires and can shake a scope loose.
So you will want to check that the scope is tight occasionally.

#21 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 06:41 PM

Yea, I have it locked down good. The gun also has a scope stop on the body already so that helps too.

I picked up some of the .22 pellets today and my word, these are huge compared to the .177 ones!

Posted Image

And I took a quick shot of the rifle with the larger .22 barrel attached. I took it out and set it pretty close , maybe this weekend I can dial it in better. I was hitting the "M" on a plastic coffee can when aimed, so I am happy again!

Posted Image

#22 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 06:51 PM

How many inches are you from the M? lol Okay, feet/yards? Unless your are very good at stealth, you won't be very close to the coyote.

#23 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 06:59 PM

This was set to "rabbit distance" Maybe 35 to 40 feet.... Seeing as how this rabbit has not figured out that I am trying to kill it yet, it keeps popping up in my back yard. This was also using a lawn chair as a gun rest.

As for the coyote... they are find just the way they are. I hear and don't see, that's just fine for me.

#24 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 07:11 PM

Ah, you are after Bugs. Fried rabbit is pretty good eating.

#25 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 07:20 PM

All kinds of things you can make with rabbit,... rabbit stew,.... fried rabbit,...... rabbit pot pie, plus if you keep the feet off of it you have four lucky rabbit's feet :D

#26 hazard2k OFFLINE  

hazard2k

• Contributor
  • Member No: 4483
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted June 29, 2011 - 10:42 AM

I have tons of rabbits at my house too, I'm just about ready to let my cat outside to see if he can go grab some of them. I can tell he will be a good hunter.