FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted June 12, 2011 - 11:55 PM

We have been here 7 years and I have never seen one before, but we have a noisy coyote pack in the woods behind us. (Although, I don't think I have heard them this year yet)

Anyway, the game is ON now! That rabbit will be mine and he will not breach the garden.... My wife just approved a new, um... "gardening tool" today as an early fathers day present. I just picked up a dual caliber pellet gun! You can swap the barrel's and fire either a .177 pellet, or the larger .22 pellets! It's a Beeman "Sportsman RS2" and is pretty sweet! Once I had the scope dialed in, I was able to keep the shots in the center dot of the target every time at about 50 feet.

This thing was just shy of $100, but a seriously decent pellet gun. It will fire the smaller pellet at 1000 fps, and the larger at 800 fps. It has some pretty good weight on it too, weighing in at 10 lbs it almost has the feel of a real .22 rifle!

Posted Image

#2 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted June 13, 2011 - 01:25 AM

Save the RABBITT feed the coyote lots lead, soon h will leave the rabbitt.

#3 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted June 13, 2011 - 02:00 AM

Don't fool around with the .177. Put the .22 barrel on and take care of that rabbit. They do alot of damage. Post the results. That is supposed to be a cool air rifle. Post more about it.

#4 Rickski OFFLINE  

Rickski

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1538
  • 11 Thanks
  • 142 posts

Posted June 13, 2011 - 04:57 AM

I predict Rabbit Stew in the future.

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted June 13, 2011 - 05:47 AM

Nice pellet gun. Don't spare any of the coyote's. Once rabbits and such are gone for food source, your pets will be next on the menu.

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,320 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted June 13, 2011 - 06:29 AM

This has all the makings of a Disney Movie.
Defensless bunny, evil coyotes, mean guy with a gun.
:poke: :rolleyes: :bounce:

#7 Rickski OFFLINE  

Rickski

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1538
  • 11 Thanks
  • 142 posts

Posted June 13, 2011 - 06:41 AM

Nice pellet gun. Don't spare any of the coyote's. Once rabbits and such are gone for food source, your pets will be next on the menu.

KennyP is right.

Coyote is legal to hunt, in New Hampshire, year round. Rule up here is if you see one, it dies of lead poison. Check the hunting regulations in your state, but have no sympathy for coyotes. They are a pack animal, and know how to work as a pack to take down their food. They are not a pet, but will kill your pet, and even small children without mercy.

#8 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted June 13, 2011 - 07:21 AM

It's a bit of a ying-yang thing though... kill the coyote, and be flooded with rabbit and deer! Family dog? Hmmm... could be a plus if she keeps digging holes in my lawn!

I will grab a couple photos and maybe a video. From what I understand, with the gold tipped .177 pellets, they will break the sound barrier and "snap" like a .22 rifle. I do plan on running the .22 barrel, but I have to mail order in some pellets.

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted June 13, 2011 - 08:12 AM

It's a bit of a ying-yang thing though... kill the coyote, and be flooded with rabbit and deer!

Yep, the coyotes are keeping the other varmints at bay around here, at least to a point. Without them, the turkey will pull up acres of corn sprout. I quit shooting coyotes because of this. Never heard of any coyote vs humans in my area at all. Only one time did a rogue coyote took out a baby calf here, but he died of un-natural causes the very next day! (8mm Mouser) LOL

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 13, 2011 - 09:46 AM

That is a nice air rifle!! I'm outside the city limits by about 3/4 mile, so if I have nusiance pests to deal with I'll use the .22 rimfire.
Not many big enough in this area to require my .444 Marlin. Could not justify that one, except I wanted one.
So far, while I see them out in the pasture, the Deer have stayed out of the garden.
Have not seen a coyote since Imoved to this place, but have heard them back in the timber 1/2 mile NW of me.
But if they become a problem I would break out the .223.
I did notice a hole in the road bank in front of the house while mowing Saturday, and I am suspecting a Wood chuck/Ground Hog but I have yet to see it.

#11 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 14, 2011 - 05:27 AM

This reminds me I need to get either an air rifle or a .22. We have a bunch of chipmunks and groundhogs that need to spend more time underground and not by their choice.

Will the newer model air rifles take care of a groundhog? I know it would do alright with the chipmunks. Better watch, before we know it PITA will be on here.

#12 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted June 14, 2011 - 05:58 AM

This reminds me I need to get either an air rifle or a .22.

Go with the .22 George. The Ruger model 10 is nice =) if you want a semi-auto. I personally prefer the H&R or NEF single shots with the heavy barrel.

Will the newer model air rifles take care of a groundhog?...

I don't believe that they will. Groundhogs have a very tough hide and a thick fat layer as well. Sometimes they'll even survive a body shot from a .22! That's why I always take the head shot if I can.

#13 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 14, 2011 - 08:20 AM

Case Guy is giving you some good advise. I see your in Pensylvania and if I remember right, they don't allow you to use an autoloader for hunting.
That would possibly make pest control with one questionable in your state?

The NEF single shots are a lot of bang for the buck. For Groundhogs (and they are tough) I would reccomend the 22 Hornet.
It is a good trainer rifle for kids too.
The price is the same as the rimfire, barely noisier(Quiet is a plus in a semi urban area, no sense stirring up the anti's)) and good for groundhogs,fox, Coyotes and the ultimate garden predator Racoon out to 150 yds.

I have one with a Nikon 4X rimfire scope on it, and reach for it more often than I do the rimfires.
It's so light and handi It's a nice walking varminter.

#14 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 14, 2011 - 11:33 AM

With it being on private property I don't think that they can really say anything but I could be wrong. You are right though that PA does not allow hunting with an autoloader, but you can hunt with one in the chamber and magazine out so it can't autoload another round.

I do like the Ruger 10/22 with the target barrel, I could see me and the boy having some competition shooting between the two of us.

#15 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted June 14, 2011 - 03:05 PM

This has all the makings of a Disney Movie.
Defensless bunny, evil coyotes, mean guy with a gun.
:poke: :rolleyes: :bounce:

:bigrofl::smiley-score010: