15 replies to this topic

#1 hdshadpar OFFLINE  

hdshadpar
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 86463
  • 8 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted April 16, 2017 - 11:15 AM

Well, I went and bought a little Case 446 which I know nothing of but I love learning at this golden age.  I could have spent my money on something else but I thought this would be the better route to go.  It is a 1974 according to the serial number.  I have been reading some of the posts and found the search engine on the form, so I will try and not re-ask questions about oils as their are many answers on that subject.  It came with most attachments except a front blade and has no PTO.  It is missing the drive lever according to the operators manual, but starts.  Have yet to hook up the mower or snow blower but seems pretty straight forward except that the garden tractors I have had before always had a lever to pull to engage the mower.  I don't see anything like this so my first concern is does the snow blower and mower continuously run once started?  I need to download service manual or something to that affect to further my education of this machine and believe they are available on this site.  And yes I am a Canuck with many ties to the US (wife/daughter/and in-laws), so with all that I will try my luck at posting a few pics and start to change the oils, plugs etc soon as the snow melts.  If there is anything I should know please feel free to bring me up to speed.

Happy Easter!

JP20170404_193438_resized.jpg

• Gtractor, boyscout862, chieffan and 4 others have said thanks

#2 pryan05 ONLINE  

pryan05

LGT

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 84973
  • 515 Thanks
  • 292 posts

Posted April 16, 2017 - 11:25 AM

Nice looking tractor!  It should be a good stout unit for you and likely has an electric clutch to engage the PTO.  Others with these Cases will be along shortly to confirm this.  And welcome to GTtalk.  

Edited by pryan05, April 16, 2017 - 11:27 AM.

• boyscout862, chieffan and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#3 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 8,643 Thanks
  • 4,706 posts

Posted April 16, 2017 - 11:30 AM

:welcometogttalk:

That's a beautiful tractor and many handy attachments to boot.  :thumbs:

#4 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher
  • Member No: 2755
  • 742 Thanks
  • 746 posts

Posted April 16, 2017 - 11:39 AM

If you have no front PTO you cannot run blower or mower. With no engagement lever did po add electric PTO?

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,852 Thanks
  • 8,688 posts

Posted April 16, 2017 - 12:57 PM

Welcome to GTT. Download and read the Operators Manual first. Do all of the routine maintenance before using it. Do not trust old oil that is in the engine. Once all maintenance is done, then you can try playing with it. Good Luck, Rick
  • 637Yeoman said thank you

#6 kencombs OFFLINE  

kencombs

• Member No: 8398
  • 21 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted April 16, 2017 - 05:53 PM

The original setup would have had a manual PTO attached to the flywheel (front on a Case) of the engine.  It would have been engaged by a push/pull knob on the lower part of the tower or a lever on the outside/left of the tower, depending on the S/N.

Some good pics of the engine front with the hood open will help us figure out what you have now.

Here is a link to the parts catalog for the PTO.

http://eastmanind.co...96/Default.aspx

#7 hdshadpar OFFLINE  

hdshadpar
  • GTt Junior
  • 8 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted April 17, 2017 - 12:42 PM

Tks everyone, I will have a closer look at this piece of machinery, I was told and maybe I should of did a little more home work, that the belts go around the pulley by the fan and then feed them down and around the pulleys on the attachments, it came with 2 different length belts.  Never thought about this until after I unloaded and started looking but I'm sure it's not life threatening....  Will take some more pics later and post as it snowed here and is a little chilly...  Tks again everyone!!  Talk later.  Jim

#8 hdshadpar OFFLINE  

hdshadpar
  • GTt Junior
  • 8 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted April 18, 2017 - 08:09 AM

Hello everyone, I'm thinking maybe this should be a new post but since we discussed this already I will leave this conversation here or just let me know and I will repost this item.

Took pics of the front of motor looking for this pto and where the flywheel is and I see a pulley as pic indicates but thats it.  As discussed before there is no lever on the side as well, now there is an adjustment on the mover attachment that tightens the tension on the belt after installing and was told the mower runs continuously, which was odd but when your done you shut mower off and loosen the tension on the belt and remove and unhook.  When you look at the pics the belt would alien it self with the pulleys on the attachments, not sure if it would with this electric clutch or pto.  So, suggestions and again if I should start a new thread I can do that.

Picked up oil for engine and hydraulic, but no one had a oil filter and their books didn't even show it?  I'm now thinking that this may be a different motor as I looked at a bunch of library files and cannot see one as well.....  Again I can start a new thread if desired.

Will leave it at that,  IMG_0669.JPG  again tks for the help.

J

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0667.JPG
  • IMG_0668.JPG

• KennyP said thank you

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,178 Thanks
  • 44,172 posts

Posted April 18, 2017 - 08:32 AM

I'd leave it here and see if someone can help figure this out.

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 35,178 Thanks
  • 44,172 posts

Posted April 18, 2017 - 08:35 AM

I wonder if this clutch is supposed to be in there?

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 35,178 Thanks
  • 44,172 posts

Posted April 18, 2017 - 08:40 AM

A little further searching through this manual shows this.

ScreenShot121.jpg

#12 kencombs OFFLINE  

kencombs

• Member No: 8398
  • 21 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted April 18, 2017 - 09:40 AM

KennyP hit the nail on the head.  That big shaft in front of the pulley, should have those parts on it.  There should also be parts in the dash tower to engage that clutch.  a pic of the tower looking down from the steering wheel and one of the vertical face of the tower will let someone determine which method you should have.  You can look at the link I provided earlier to see the two linkages used.

If you decide to use an electric clutch, be sure to get one designed for the Case's rotation.  Most are for CCW, while the case turns CW, viewed from the front.

If you wish to rebuild the original clutch, I have all the parts you need available.  Good used stuff, lots cheaper than new!  Drop me a pm if interested.,

• KennyP and tiretrx have said thanks

#13 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher
  • Member No: 2755
  • 742 Thanks
  • 746 posts

Posted April 18, 2017 - 06:41 PM

Like Ken said most of the clutch is missing. And to keep the friction disk on pulley tight the po must have a pipe spacer over the pto shaft. Even with belt tensioner turned all way loose the belt would still drag on motor I would think put a lot of wear & tear on starter. These are great machines well worth getting it right. If po did have it hooked up to run direct from strictly safety point a lone he was a fool with no easy disengagement of deck just my opinion.    

#14 hdshadpar OFFLINE  

hdshadpar
  • GTt Junior
  • 8 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted April 24, 2017 - 06:54 AM

Tks , sorry for the late reply but was away and another 5 inches of snow dropped....  Well I didn't buy this little fellow just for its good looks so will do the clutch rebuild from scratch.  I will send you a PM KenC regarding parts.  KenP, having a little trouble figuring out the manual download, is there a trick for I am using a Apple Comp.?  And Gopher, totally agree with your comment and not about to fool with this operation the way it is.  Tks again guys!!  Jim

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 35,178 Thanks
  • 44,172 posts

Posted April 25, 2017 - 06:39 AM

I'm not familiar with the Apple operating system. These files are in a PDF format.