Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Completed my Ride-a-matic round hood collection !

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,809 Thanks
  • 18,053 posts

Posted April 16, 2017 - 11:15 AM

Added this 56' yesterday to complete my goal of the Ride-a-Matic Round hoods :D

Thanks to member fonz3482 for selling it to me!

Needs alot of TLC but its a complete and solid machine which makes for a perfect restoration candidate

DSCN8975.JPG DSCN8974.JPG

DSCN8976.JPG DSCN8978.JPG

DSCN8979.JPG .

• grand, rustyoldjunk, Gtractor and 18 others have said thanks

#2 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 9,124 Thanks
  • 6,232 posts

Posted April 16, 2017 - 11:26 AM

Congrates on completing that collection.  Are the round hoods older or newer than the flat top hood models? 

• Bolens 1000, blackjackjakexxix, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#3 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 8,917 Thanks
  • 4,822 posts

Posted April 16, 2017 - 11:28 AM

That's kewell!  Congratulations!!!

I can't even find one of the round hoods.  :(

• Bolens 1000, boyscout862 and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,809 Thanks
  • 18,053 posts

Posted April 16, 2017 - 11:28 AM

Congrates on completing that collection.  Are the round hoods older or newer than the flat top hood models? 

Older, they were made 1956-1958  , The later ones had the flat hoods and different body design 1959-1962

I just never was a fan of the later ones but I probably will buy the ugly 1962 model if I come across one :D

And if I ever come across a Bolens wizard I need one of those too but those are impossible to find.

• blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#5 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Member No: 2194
  • 2,870 Thanks
  • 2,076 posts

Posted April 16, 2017 - 12:02 PM

Congrats Brian,I'm sure some day it will look as good as your other restos
  • WrenchinOnIt, boyscout862, Austen and 1 other said thanks

#6 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 1,139 posts

Posted April 16, 2017 - 01:30 PM

I would live one myself. Only know of two here in the U.K.
  • blackjackjakexxix and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#7 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,938 Thanks
  • 5,566 posts

Posted April 16, 2017 - 02:19 PM

Nice find bud!

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#8 slf-uk OFFLINE  

slf-uk
  • Member No: 62999
  • 356 Thanks
  • 143 posts

Posted April 16, 2017 - 03:04 PM

Great find, I would love a round hood RAM.

As for the 62 RAM, even the ugly ones need love

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • blackjackjakexxix and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#9 Austen ONLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 847 posts

Posted April 16, 2017 - 03:39 PM

Very cool!! That's so neat you were able to purchase it from another member; you both were able to benefit. What a great attachment it came with too.

Congrats!! Looking forward to seeing it more. :)

• Bolens 1000, blackjackjakexxix and WrenchinOnIt have said thanks

#10 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,809 Thanks
  • 18,053 posts

Posted April 16, 2017 - 07:06 PM

Couldnt help myself so tore into the motor today to see if it would be a runner.

Got the sheet metal off and cleaned the cooling fins, then popped off the cylinder head and was surprised how clean it was inside, no scoring of the bore either.

DSCN8980.JPG DSCN8981.JPG

Then took the carb apart and found it was toast :( The float tabs corroded apart making the carb junk so had to install a new one, I then cleaned and gapped the points and put on a new points cover since the original was missing

DSCN8982.JPG DSCN8983.JPG

DSCN8984.JPG DSCN8985.JPG

Then I wanted to get the muffler off as these usually are pretty crusty and the bolts always are pretty brittle. One of them broke so had to get the torch out to get a bit of heat to the stud. Replaced both with 2 NOS ones I had and installed a new asbestos gasket :D

DSCN8986.JPG

Blew out the tank ans installed new line and an extra filter until I can clean the tank better, and she only would fire once every time I pulled it and thats what made me think ignition issue as thats usually how these act when a condenser goes bad.

Off went the flywheel, with the "Knocker" tool.

DSCN8987.JPG

Replaced the condenser and she fired right up and ran well for about 5 minutes then it started to sputter and just died right out, put the spark tester on and no spark, I'm guessing the coil is bad and will need to be replaced as well.

I think thats the reason why the machine was never used after that , since the points cover was off I think they tried to fix the issue but lost interest or got in over their head and just quit.

DSCN8988.JPG

• Bruce Dorsi, blackjackjakexxix, KennyP and 6 others have said thanks

#11 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 1,243 Thanks
  • 763 posts

Posted April 16, 2017 - 08:52 PM

You have been busy since yesterday! Glad the tractor went to the right person! I see it has some issues, but I guess you never know with machines that have been sitting forever. Since I found the 56' for you, it's your turn to find me that elusive 900! Deal?
  • Bolens 1000 said thank you

#12 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,982 Thanks
  • 2,121 posts

Posted April 16, 2017 - 09:28 PM

Couldnt help myself so tore into the motor today to see if it would be a runner.

Got the sheet metal off and cleaned the cooling fins, then popped off the cylinder head and was surprised how clean it was inside, no scoring of the bore either.

attachicon.gifDSCN8980.JPGattachicon.gifDSCN8981.JPG

Then took the carb apart and found it was toast :( The float tabs corroded apart making the carb junk so had to install a new one, I then cleaned and gapped the points and put on a new points cover since the original was missing

attachicon.gifDSCN8982.JPGattachicon.gifDSCN8983.JPG
attachicon.gifDSCN8984.JPGattachicon.gifDSCN8985.JPG

Then I wanted to get the muffler off as these usually are pretty crusty and the bolts always are pretty brittle. One of them broke so had to get the torch out to get a bit of heat to the stud. Replaced both with 2 NOS ones I had and installed a new asbestos gasket :D

attachicon.gifDSCN8986.JPG

Blew out the tank ans installed new line and an extra filter until I can clean the tank better, and she only would fire once every time I pulled it and thats what made me think ignition issue as thats usually how these act when a condenser goes bad.
Off went the flywheel, with the "Knocker" tool.

attachicon.gifDSCN8987.JPG

Replaced the condenser and she fired right up and ran well for about 5 minutes then it started to sputter and just died right out, put the spark tester on and no spark, I'm guessing the coil is bad and will need to be replaced as well.
I think thats the reason why the machine was never used after that , since the points cover was off I think they tried to fix the issue but lost interest or got in over their head and just quit.

attachicon.gifDSCN8988.JPG

I think that was what happened with my '59 as well, coil went, and they parked it, runs good now, just looking at that coil, that's not a k161, what did those have in them, k91?

#13 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,809 Thanks
  • 18,053 posts

Posted April 17, 2017 - 05:17 AM

You have been busy since yesterday! Glad the tractor went to the right person! I see it has some issues, but I guess you never know with machines that have been sitting forever. Since I found the 56' for you, it's your turn to find me that elusive 900! Deal?

I've been looking! :)

I think that was what happened with my '59 as well, coil went, and they parked it, runs good now, just looking at that coil, that's not a k161, what did those have in them, k91?

This has a K90, thankfully it didnt have the real old style ignition on it as those are impossible to find.

#14 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,906 Thanks
  • 2,448 posts

Posted April 17, 2017 - 08:54 AM

attachicon.gifDSCN8988.JPG

Did you repair or replace the frayed primary wire? ....Was it rubbed by the flywheel , or chewed by a critter?

Before replacing the coil, I'd check the resistance and continuity of the primary wires and re-check the points.

Some of those old Kohlers would have oil follow the points plunger and get onto the contacts.  ....Maybe that's why the point cover was missing.

• Bolens 1000, WrenchinOnIt, Newpaws493 and 1 other said thanks

#15 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,809 Thanks
  • 18,053 posts

Posted April 17, 2017 - 09:43 AM

Did you repair or replace the frayed primary wire? ....Was it rubbed by the flywheel , or chewed by a critter?

Before replacing the coil, I'd check the resistance and continuity of the primary wires and re-check the points.

Some of those old Kohlers would have oil follow the points plunger and get onto the contacts.  ....Maybe that's why the point cover was missing.

I initially thought the wire was my problem when I pulled the flywheel , but traced the wire and found out it was a ground wire that went to no where so removed it. Since the 56' never had a kill wire I wonder if the factory installed the ground wire and just tied it behind the flywheel plate as the wire did have factory paint on it.

I'll pull the cover and look again, this one has the primitive style points where its just a piece of spring steel with a push rod.