• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Don in Mystic OFFLINE  

Don in Mystic
  • Member No: 86490
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted April 16, 2017 - 09:19 AM

New to this forum. Own a 74 C100 with 36 deck. Purchased set of blade spindles with bearings. Appears they were replaced before as small end of cast flange they go into/against is broken off. Apparently despite that bearings stayed put (Ive owned the tractor 20 years). My question is when I press in the new ones where should they be in relation to the big end of the casting? Flush? stick up? how much?. I did not witness mark them but presume they are all the same. Thanks for any advice. I know how to hold a wrench but first time with these. Don

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 15185 Thanks
  • 9997 posts

Posted April 16, 2017 - 10:51 AM

Welcome to GTT. Download the manual for your deck from our Manuals Section and look at the exploded view. There are usually some kind of stops to position the bearings. Heating the spindle even alittle will help. Take it slow and easy. Post pics of your problems so that we can see the situation. BTW I have a 74 C160. Good Luck, Rick

• MolonLabe said thank you

#3 MolonLabe OFFLINE  

MolonLabe

Rust Wrangler

• Member No: 59683
  • 558 Thanks
  • 321 posts

Posted April 17, 2017 - 09:15 AM

New to this forum. Own a 74 C100 with 36 deck. Purchased set of blade spindles with bearings. Appears they were replaced before as small end of cast flange they go into/against is broken off. Apparently despite that bearings stayed put (Ive owned the tractor 20 years). My question is when I press in the new ones where should they be in relation to the big end of the casting? Flush? stick up? how much?. I did not witness mark them but presume they are all the same. Thanks for any advice. I know how to hold a wrench but first time with these. Don

Hello and welcome to the forum Don. It sounds like some one pressed out the bearings and failed to remove the snap rings from the bottom of the spindle. Here are some pics of a Wheel Horse 42RD deck spindle. The distance between the bearings is taken up with a spacer tube you can see in some of the pics.

SAM_0853.JPG

Small end with bearing seated, seal on lower side of bearing only. Spacer visible below bearing.

SAM_0856.JPG

Snap ring installed

SAM_0859.JPG

Top of spindle with bearing seated against the spacer and seal in place. Note, the upper bearing shouldn't be sealed if you want to be able to grease the spindle.

Hope you find some of this helpful.

• KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks