Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,861 Thanks
  • 2,428 posts

Posted April 16, 2017 - 06:04 AM

Buy a cheap plug in the correct temp. range.

File the contact back so its not over the electrode but still maintain the correct gap. 

You'll have something just as good as the gimmick of "splitfire".

The Champion plugs for 2-cycle engines had the shortened ground electrode like you describe.

For example:  J-8J or CJ-8J or DJ-8J  ...The "J" suffix denoted the shortened ground electrode.  ...This was done to lessen plug fouling due to the oil in the fuel mix

being burnt.

The "J" prefix denoted a 3/8" reach (the threaded portion) plug.  ...(J-8 is a full-length plug having a 13/16" hex.)

The "C" prefix denoted a short plug having a 3/4" hex.

The "D" prefix denoted an even shorter plug having a 5/8" hex

The "8" identified the heat range of the plug.

Edited for spelling error.

Edited by Bruce Dorsi, April 16, 2017 - 06:08 AM.

• Gtractor, dodge trucker, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#18 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,861 Thanks
  • 2,428 posts

Posted April 16, 2017 - 06:16 AM

Anything is better than Champion. 

We sold many thousands of Champion plugs in our mower shop.  ....Maybe 1 out of 1000 were defective from a manufacturing glitch. 

The only Champions which were crap were the J-17LM plugs which were marketed for lawn mowers, hence the "-LM" suffix.  ...We would not sell them.

• Gtractor, dodge trucker and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#19 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 2,527 Thanks
  • 1,827 posts

Posted April 16, 2017 - 06:17 AM

I have never ran an E3, but I have used splitfires in 2 stroke ATV's back in the 90's. I only ran them to prevent fouling. I did have good results with em, but I wouldn't bother with em now as oils have gotten better in quality. I didn't notice any power increase with em at all.

I have run the NGK gapless plugs in a 115 straight 6 Mercury Outboard with great results. (See pic)

I only run AC Delco, Autolite, Nipppon Denso, or NGK.

Personally I have never had great success with Champion plugs. A good quality sparkplug will cost half as much, or less of a specialty plug, and last a long, long time with a properly tuned engine.

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot_2017-04-16-06-18-15.png

Edited by stiemmy, April 16, 2017 - 06:25 AM.

• dodge trucker and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#20 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 8,629 Thanks
  • 4,700 posts

Posted April 16, 2017 - 09:03 AM

I know I've posted this before but I own a "C" Allis Chalmers tractor that won't even start on Champion plugs.  I tried 2 brand new sets in it.  If one individual plug was defective it would have started - just misfired on the one bad plug.  This thing wouldn't even start!

Put in AC Delco or Autolite and it runs fine.

I've had real good luck with Champions in lawn mowers but never had good results with them in a vehicle. 

• akretowicz said thank you

#21 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 1,548 Thanks
  • 1,254 posts

Posted April 16, 2017 - 09:56 AM

I know I've posted this before but I own a "C" Allis Chalmers tractor that won't even start on Champion plugs.  I tried 2 brand new sets in it.  If one individual plug was defective it would have started - just misfired on the one bad plug.  This thing wouldn't even start!

Put in AC Delco or Autolite and it runs fine.

I've had real good luck with Champions in lawn mowers but never had good results with them in a vehicle. 

I wouldnt assume its a problem with champion itself

#22 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 8,629 Thanks
  • 4,700 posts

Posted April 16, 2017 - 11:08 AM

I wouldnt assume its a problem with champion itself

Well, Luke

What do you think it may be? 

I'm definitely a "two heads are better than one" kind of guy.

This happened over 20 years ago and I have been doing my own maintenance and repairs on all my vehicles for decades now.  In fact, I overhauled my first engine, a push mower engine, 40 years ago this summer.  Done many since.  Motorcycles/ATV, farm tractors,  you name it.

I may need to mail you a plane ticket [United Airlines of course] and fly you in for consultations on my possibly inferior, mechanical diagnostics.

The Allis tractor was running, but sloppy.  Needed a tune-up.  I gave it the full tune-up.  New points, condenser, cap, wires, and Champion plugs. 

After that it wouldn't even start.  Rechecked everything and started installing the old parts one at a time then trying to start it.  Nothing worked until I changed out the brand new Champion plugs and then it fired right up on the old Autolite plugs.  

Re-installed all the other new parts and it ran fine.  Then I put the New Champion plugs back in and no start. 

I then boxed the Champions back up and returned them to the store and got 4 different Champion plugs claiming those as defective.

When I installed the second set of Champions the tractor once again failed to start.  I then returned the second set of brand new Champion plugs to the store and got new Autolites.  I've also used A.C. Delco plugs in that tractor with no problems.

I still own that tractor - 24 years now.  Bought it as a basket case and built it to use.  I also did all the wiring, converting it to 12 volt negative ground, and did the  body work myself including painting. 

Here is a picture of my non-wife mowing the yard with it in 1994.

Tonia mowin.jpg

#23 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 1,548 Thanks
  • 1,254 posts

Posted April 16, 2017 - 12:12 PM

You werent hitting it hard enough.

Well, the only thing i can think is the plugs wornt the right style?

What size were they, compared to the old ones,

Or, since you mentioned being able to use them in your lawn/garden tractors,  maybe the bigger engines, like the c and your car, have to much compression for the to handle, and they fail

Not sure

I myself, run champions in my gt's, but my dad will not run them in bigger tractors or cars, so maybe I am right?

Probably not.

And as for flying, im not a fan, so ill have to pass on that one  :D

Edited by 637Yeoman, April 16, 2017 - 12:13 PM.

• Gtractor said thank you

#24 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 12,212 Thanks
  • 9,171 posts

Posted April 16, 2017 - 01:05 PM

The Allis tractor was running, but sloppy.  Needed a tune-up.  I gave it the full tune-up.  New points, condenser, cap, wires, and Champion plugs. 

After that it wouldn't even start.  Rechecked everything and started installing the old parts one at a time then trying to start it.  Nothing worked until I changed out the brand new Champion plugs and then it fired right up on the old Autolite plugs.  

Re-installed all the other new parts and it ran fine.  Then I put the New Champion plugs back in and no start. 

I then boxed the Champions back up and returned them to the store and got 4 different Champion plugs claiming those as defective.

When I installed the second set of Champions the tractor once again failed to start.  I then returned the second set of brand new Champion plugs to the store and got new Autolites.  I've also used A.C. Delco plugs in that tractor with no problems.

I could share a similar story concerning a friend's '63 Chev. SS. Only the old, nasty Champions were the good guys and the ACs were the bad guys.

• Gtractor and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#25 akretowicz OFFLINE  

akretowicz

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2090
  • 231 Thanks
  • 308 posts

Posted August 28, 2017 - 10:52 AM

I run E3's in all my small engines, and love them!

#26 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 12,212 Thanks
  • 9,171 posts

Posted August 28, 2017 - 12:13 PM

Be specific; what do they do that you love so much.

#27 akretowicz OFFLINE  

akretowicz

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2090
  • 231 Thanks
  • 308 posts

Posted August 28, 2017 - 02:10 PM

Be specific; what do they do that you love so much.

They run.  And run very well.  Easy starting.  Fuel consumption is just fine, too.  

• LilysDad said thank you