• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,122 Thanks
  • 2,836 posts

Posted April 13, 2017 - 09:51 PM

I have been playing with these engines since I was ~12 years old, over 35 years worth... been thru lots of Tecumseh carbs. this never used to be an issue but has been for the past few years now...

It don't matter whether I use genuine parts or aftermarket, lately after I boil a carb and replace the needle and seat, about 1/2 the time the engine can run fine but when sitting between uses, they will empty the gas tank into the crankcase.... found that with one of my push mowers this past Saturday.... changed oil, mowed my yard, parked it, went to Mom's and got her mowers going for the 1st time of teh season and mowed her yard, came home, went to pull my same mower that I had used~4 hours before and in 4 hours time it did the same thing, had to change oil again before using it on my neighbor's yard. Checked it again the next morning, same thing again....

What did they change the material of the seat to as compared to what they used to use?

I am gettin sick of redo's....

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,169 Thanks
  • 8,887 posts

Posted April 13, 2017 - 10:44 PM

I've found with mine that since the kits are old the rubber seats have shrunk and gotten hard with age. I now install a fuel shutoff valve between the tank and the carb. I shut it off before I shut down the engine. Sometimes the gas seems to soften them. You might also check that your float isn't sinking. Good Luck, Rick

• DougT said thank you

#3 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,963 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted April 14, 2017 - 05:00 AM

Not just teccy. Had a problem with a Kohler a co unless years back... ended up just putting the shut off on it. Tires of the worry.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#4 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,122 Thanks
  • 2,836 posts

Posted April 14, 2017 - 06:10 AM

yeah I probably will do the shutoff thing, but that should not be necessary, as it wasn't for years, why should it be now? With the way the gas line runs behind the air filter and along the governor linkage, hoping it won't end up being in the way of any of that... will be a little bit of a pain to get to, tucked all up in there where it needs to be....

#5 karel OFFLINE  

karel
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,922 Thanks
  • 1,296 posts

Posted April 14, 2017 - 06:37 AM

I have a Tecumseh 10 hp that keeps looking at me. I've never played with one. carburetor stories is the reason why I haven't.

#6 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,809 Thanks
  • 18,053 posts

Posted April 14, 2017 - 06:44 AM

With the ethanol fuels of today , I always turn the gas off after I use my machines.

There are known problems with alot of aftermarket seats swelling up and causing the problems you describe, especially with the tecumseh carbs which Is why I only carry oem parts for them

Have you tried a fresh stock needle and seat kit from tecumseh?

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#7 Arti OFFLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,363 Thanks
  • 989 posts

Posted April 14, 2017 - 07:25 AM

A bit of Seafoam, Marvel Mystery Oil , or Berryman B12 seems to help. About a cap full in each tank of fuel is all I use. Marvel Mystery Oil is my weapon of choice.

• MH81, boyscout862 and dodge trucker have said thanks

#8 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,122 Thanks
  • 2,836 posts

Posted April 14, 2017 - 07:43 PM

I seem to have had the same issue with OE as with the Stens ones. Can't remember which one I used for the most recent one. I just got 2 OE ones from farm and fleet. Cuz I gotta redo the one I did last week plus 1 more.
Karel, nothing to be afraid of with them although I do much prefer the older adjustable ones. (That being idle and high speed mixture)

#9 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,122 Thanks
  • 2,836 posts

Posted April 14, 2017 - 07:45 PM

A bit of Seafoam, Marvel Mystery Oil , or Berryman B12 seems to help. About a cap full in each tank of fuel is all I use. Marvel Mystery Oil is my weapon of choice.

Will either soften a brand new seat? This has been happening from the 1st tank of gas after a soak and rebuild... Never used to have this issue.

#10 Arti OFFLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,363 Thanks
  • 989 posts

Posted April 15, 2017 - 11:38 AM

I use those products to provide lubrication, Haven't had an issue with deterioration of the parts yet. I started using these products in the old VW Beetle engines and Motorcycles that I had. Still use Marvel Oil in a 30 year old Gold Wing and the mowers.

#11 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,122 Thanks
  • 2,836 posts

Posted April 16, 2017 - 07:53 AM

I use those products to provide lubrication, Haven't had an issue with deterioration of the parts yet. I started using these products in the old VW Beetle engines and Motorcycles that I had. Still use Marvel Oil in a 30 year old Gold Wing and the mowers.

ok but again; what "deterioration" would there be on a BRAND NEW part??? I can understand a part that has been in service for a couple of years...

I had it happen on my snow blower last season, fresh brand new needle and seat, and just now on a 6hp that I took from a power washer that would only run on carb spray when I brought it home/ so I pulled the crb, soaked it and replaced the needle and seat along with the primer bulb... run great when I have them running but when  shut them off, any gas still in the tank finds its way into the crank case.... exactly one of the things a good needle and seat is supposed to prevent!

I have a different carb to put onto the snow blower next Fall, one with real adjustment screws off of an older machine/  did soak and rebuild that carb too, has yet to have a drop of fuel run thru it since the rebuild.... have not yet swapped them out.

It runs fine with the original carb (as long as I shut the gas off when not being used) with that typical Tech Snow King surge when not under a load... (different issue for a different thread) but a cure for that is the reason for the having an adjustable carb ready to go on.... snow blower went out to storage and got the Sta Bil treatment yesterday, I didn't use it once this past winter, used a paddle style single stage 2cycle cheapie, all of twice. my big machine that has the carb issue is a Deere 828D....

funny though the cheapie 2 cycle one is an MTD that was a freebie a few years back, also has a Tecumseh with the same style float type carb, that I also rebuilt recently, it's one of the lucky ones, it does not leak fuel  down between uses..... could the oil in the mix have something to do with softening of the seat to keep this machine from having this issue? I did that carb last year at the same time I did the one on the 828D, the 2 cycle  carb is fine, the 828D leaks.... if  remember right, I bought the parts for both at the same time from the same place....

#12 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,122 Thanks
  • 2,836 posts

Posted April 23, 2017 - 08:28 PM

Well 2 Tecumseh carbs got new OEM needles and seats and shutoffs today in my garage, let's see what happens.